News:

It's funny how the position for boot-licking is so close to the one used for curb-stomping.

Main Menu

Discordian Jewellery - Any Interest?

Started by Destriarch, November 12, 2008, 09:48:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

navkat

Quote from: Ten Ton Mantis on November 15, 2008, 11:57:58 PM

Hey, are those Erlen glasses yr wearing?

Minxys

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Minxys

Well, no shit, you've heard of a belt buckle, silly! I'm suggesting that someone makes a golden apple belt buckle. You can use whatever cheap metal since it isn't worn directly on skin.

Destriarch

Quote from: Minxys on November 16, 2008, 09:11:41 AM
Well, no shit, you've heard of a belt buckle, silly! I'm suggesting that someone makes a golden apple belt buckle. You can use whatever cheap metal since it isn't worn directly on skin.
It's not something I could do myself, but it's a great idea. Sadly the realisation fee for an item that big would cost way more than I could afford. Brass would be good I reckon.

Ash

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

There are people on Etsy who do casting, you might be able to talk someone into it. It would be expensive, but awesome.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Destriarch

Quote from: Ten Ton Mantis on November 16, 2008, 04:28:32 PM
There are people on Etsy who do casting, you might be able to talk someone into it. It would be expensive, but awesome.
It's not the casting, it's the realisation. Y'see I work in 3D then have a guy with a rapid prototyping rig turn the model into a real piece of jewellery. Even for something small like the pendant above it'd be likely to cost $60+ to have a wax master produced. For something as big as a belt buckle... well, for one thing I'd have to find someone else to do it 'cause my current contact can only do small stuff. Then I'd have to consider that you need to add stuff to the back as well as the front, necessitating a double-plunge, which costs more... it all adds up. :(

Ash

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Destriarch on November 16, 2008, 05:46:07 PM
Quote from: Ten Ton Mantis on November 16, 2008, 04:28:32 PM
It's not the casting, it's the realisation. Y'see I work in 3D then have a guy with a rapid prototyping rig turn the model into a real piece of jewellery. Even for something small like the pendant above it'd be likely to cost $60+ to have a wax master produced. For something as big as a belt buckle... well, for one thing I'd have to find someone else to do it 'cause my current contact can only do small stuff. Then I'd have to consider that you need to add stuff to the back as well as the front, necessitating a double-plunge, which costs more... it all adds up. :(

Ash

I wasn't talking to you, I was talking to the other one. I'm sure she could contact someone on Etsy who does casting to make a one-off for her, if she wanted to shell out for it.

Destriarch

Ahh, well all my casting contacts are in the UK, or I'd offer some ideas too.

Professor Mu-Chao

FYI, There is some Discordian Jewelry out there already, but looks like they have sacred chao only: http://www.markdefrates.com/pages/symbol_t.html#Anchor-39842
"Is it weird in here or is it me?" - Ambrose Bierce

navkat

@10tonBug:

Do you have some "ready to wear" stuff like on your sister's site?
I realize that this question might be a little annoying to you as an artist, and I *do* appreciate the complexity and beauty of your pieces "as is," but I don't do beadwork myself ATM (unless it's cheesy, plastic pony beads) and so I wouldn't know what to do with just 8 speckled sapphire beads all by they-seff. :)

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: navkat on November 16, 2008, 09:16:54 PM
@10tonBug:

Do you have some "ready to wear" stuff like on your sister's site?
I realize that this question might be a little annoying to you as an artist, and I *do* appreciate the complexity and beauty of your pieces "as is," but I don't do beadwork myself ATM (unless it's cheesy, plastic pony beads) and so I wouldn't know what to do with just 8 speckled sapphire beads all by they-seff. :)

In the focal beads section I have some stuff on a silk ribbon with a sterling silver S-hook closure. Also, I can string just about any of the single focal beads on a silk ribbon with silver S-hook for an extra $3. I don't really do anything like make fancy necklaces or bracelets... I know how, I just kind of hate doing it! Most of the bracelets I've made for me are just strung on stretchy elastic stuff.

Iason Ouabache

Quote from: Professor Mu-Chao on November 16, 2008, 07:34:15 PM
FYI, There is some Discordian Jewelry out there already, but looks like they have sacred chao only: http://www.markdefrates.com/pages/symbol_t.html#Anchor-39842
They've got the Hand of Eris too.  I'm wearing one right now.

http://www.markdefrates.com/pages/symbol_k.html#Anchor-4581
You cannot fathom the immensity of the fuck i do not give.
    \
┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Yeah, I got a Hand of Eris from him, and he also has a bunch of different Chaostars/spheres. You just have to look through the list, because they're not really categorized by religion. He's very Disocrdian-friendly, he'll make pretty much anything you want, (I've considered asking for a small  gold K apple) and his prices are very reasonable. His work is beautiful, heavy, and possibly larger than you think so be aware when you're ordering that while 24mm sounds tiny, it's not.

http://www.markdefrates.com/pages/symbol_d.html#Anchor-14549
http://www.markdefrates.com/pages/symbol_k.html#Anchor-4581
http://www.markdefrates.com/pages/symbol_t.html#Anchor-58644