News:

"Those who seek should not stop seeking until they find. When they find, they will be disturbed." - Jesus

Main Menu

Musings.

Started by Adios, December 09, 2008, 01:05:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Adios

I sit here with my thoughts and ponder the mysteries of the harmonic chaos of existence.

Why is it that there is a razors edge between genius and insanity?
Why are the brightest the most likely to fall victim to obsessions?
I think sometimes that there is a great deal of truth to the old saying about ignorance being bliss.

Having said that I must also say that ignorance disgusts me. Especially self imposed ignorance, the kind where people refuse to learn about a thing because they feel deep within themselves that they would have to consider and actually form a different opinion. These people will mount the pulpit to scream about what they have stupidly decided is right, not to convince you and I. No, they do it to convince themselves. If you attempt to counter with actual facts they will shout louder and deny you the opportunity to speak, because as we all know the one who shouts the loudest and the most is always right. So my new method of talking to these people will be to allow my eyes to glaze over just a little, possibly allow some spittle to come out of the corners of my mouth while I agree with them and encourage them to continue to ramble!

While at dinner last night in a popular I overheard several conversations. A young woman in particular made my ears point up. She opened the conversation with "I didn't vote for Obama, but not because he is black." I grabbed Mrs. Asshats hand and said just listen, don't kill her. As Mrs. Asshat settled back into her chair the young woman continued saying if Biden had been running for president she would have voted for him, and this on the tails of just having said she didn't like the Democratic party.
Mrs. Asshat and I discussed this between ourselves and came to the obvious conclusion that from the opening statement made by this young woman that she is indeed a bigot and her vote was determined solely by color. Now, understand that while Mrs. Asshat and myself both feel that Obama was by far the better candidate neither one of us feel that the world is now a better place. This isn't about politics. This is about the ways people can and will unthinkingly deceive themselves.

It takes determination and old fashioned guts to look in the mirror and stare the reflection down until all the makeup is stripped away and the soul is laid bare. The first time I ever did it I ended up sweating and with shaky legs. And a healthy disdain for myself which allowed me to make some changes.

People are forgetting how to think. Thinking has been replaced with robotic responses to something half heard (because people have also forgotten how to listen) that they have managed to convince themselves that has actually come from them.

The good news is that this can be a tool. Yes, a tool. A carefully thought out and defensible opinion can be presented in such a way as to sway sheep. It can be done to change the world or as I prefer to amuse myself and give me something to laugh about.

There is a razors edge between genius and insanity that is called laughter. So look around. Listen. Manipulate.

And don't forget to laugh.

LMNO

Hold on a second:  In the primaries, I thought Biden was a better candidate than Obama, too.

I'm pretty sure I'm not a racist.  Except for the Dutch of course, but who isn't?

Adios

I understand that, but in the missing details of the conversation it was very obvious what her position was, especially when the conversation stopped immediately when a black couple came in.

OPTIMUS PINECONE

Quote from: The Reverend Asshat on December 09, 2008, 02:26:17 PM
I understand that, but in the missing details of the conversation it was very obvious what her position was, especially when the conversation stopped immediately when a black couple came in.

Well, I personally stop speaking whenever black folks enter a room because I'm certain that some knee-slapping funnies are about to happen, do to their comedic nature, and I really enjoy a good laugh.

If she even THINKS she's a bigot, she's a WIMP for not saying NIGGER. People like Biden more because he openly loves the Israel so much, and that's what America is all about, really.
"Sincere thought, real free thought, ready, in the name of superhuman authority or of humble common sense, to question the basis of what is officially taught and generally accepted, is less and less likely to thrive. It is, we repeat, by far easier to enslave a literate people than an illiterate one, strange as this may seem at first sight. And the enslavement is more likely to be lasting."   -Savitri Devi

"Great men of action... never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job, and at times they all are"   -Oswald Mosley

LMNO

Quote from: OPTIMUS PINECONE on December 09, 2008, 02:40:47 PM

Well, I personally stop speaking whenever black folks enter a room because I'm certain that some knee-slapping funnies are about to happen, do to their comedic nature, and I really enjoy a good laugh.

If she even THINKS she's a bigot, she's a WIMP for not saying NIGGER. People like Biden more because he openly loves the Israel so much, and that's what America is all about, really.

Why must you continually act like a fucking idiot?

Adios

GTFO of my thread.

Manta Obscura

Reverend: I really, really like this. Much respect.

In particular, I think that you hit the nail on the head when you made the connection between lack of listening and lack of critical thought:

Quote from: The Reverend Asshat on December 09, 2008, 01:05:08 PM

People are forgetting how to think. Thinking has been replaced with robotic responses to something half heard (because people have also forgotten how to listen) that they have managed to convince themselves that has actually come from them.

I've noticed that the robotic-response-mechanism works very intricately due to not listening. In college, my various mentors and professors would always spout the line, "You have to be a critical thinker," not realizing or not conveying that the greatest aspect of critical thinking is critical listening. The result would be a lot of spags in Philosophy 101 "critically" grinding up and spitting out theories which, while original, lack an connection to the real-life people and concerns for which they were intended. I'll never forget the day when I had to endure a speech by some idiot about Nietzsche's "God is dead" claim being a supportive claim for modern Satanism and hedonistic gratification . . .

I say this simply as an illustration that robotic response works both ways, as a tool of the ignorant and the "critical thinking," alike. I don't really have any implications to draw from this, other than to commend you again on pointing out the negative affects that not listening can cause, both for the idea-repeaters and "intellectuals." A lot of times people are duped into thinking that they can use information and ideas non-contextually to prove anything, and become a complete opposite type of moron from the one who plugs their ears and shouts, "La la la! I can't hear you!"

Since I'm on the subject, which do you think is a more virulent or negative aspect of thought, ignorance or sophistry?
Everything I wish for myself, I wish for you also.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: LMNO on December 09, 2008, 01:11:43 PM
Hold on a second:  In the primaries, I thought Biden was a better candidate than Obama, too.

Why?  Because he grinds up orphan children and injects them into his face?
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

The Good Reverend Roger

OPTIMUS: 

Shut.

The.

Fuck.

Up.

" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

wade

Myself 2 white guys and a black guy walk into tim hortons today (together).  The black guy orders french vanella, and says he likes it cause he is french... the white guy says, YEAH BUT YOU ARE NOT VANELLA...   everyone laughs..  ah ha ha ha.. 

really funny eh.........

i was more concerned with them getting the fck outa my way so i could order...   even the cashier was too busy laughing..  to take my order.  bah
:|:|:|:|:|:|

REALLY real discordians

i wouldnt hurt a fly
:thumb: :kojak:

wade

maybe a lot of these robotic reponses could cut out if everyone learned linguistics.... instead of math as a requirement in school...

So people actually learn why they think what they do when hearing/seeing words..???    instead or following mothers rule of not saying anything at all if it isn't something nice to say, doesn't really help us in being able to communicate effectively???

meh.

REALLY real discordians

i wouldnt hurt a fly

Nast

Linguistics applies to the mechanisms of how language is formed, not what you choose to communicate with it.
"If I owned Goodwill, no charity worker would feel safe.  I would sit in my office behind a massive pile of cocaine, racking my pistol's slide every time the cleaning lady came near.  Auditors, I'd just shoot."

wade

then what the fuck am I talking about?

NLP? neuro linguistic programming...
REALLY real discordians

i wouldnt hurt a fly

Jenne

Quote from: Nasturtiums on December 10, 2008, 05:17:09 AM
Linguistics applies to the mechanisms of how language is formed, not what you choose to communicate with it.

I quite beg to differ. :D

Nast

Quote from: topo on December 10, 2008, 05:27:15 AM
then what the fuck am I talking about?

NLP? neuro linguistic programming...

Probably. And also just the way people interact with each other in regards to race stereotypes. Teaching people not to say things don't mean that they still won't think/feel them, and act accordingly.

Quote from: Jenne on December 10, 2008, 05:28:26 AM
Quote from: Nasturtiums on December 10, 2008, 05:17:09 AM
I quite beg to differ. :D

:asplode:
But yeah, learning about linguistics won't help you learn to communicate meaningfully if you already don't know how to.
"If I owned Goodwill, no charity worker would feel safe.  I would sit in my office behind a massive pile of cocaine, racking my pistol's slide every time the cleaning lady came near.  Auditors, I'd just shoot."