News:

Just 'cause this is a Discordian board doesn't mean we eat up dada bullshit

Main Menu

No freedom to protest for YUO!

Started by Cain, January 12, 2010, 03:13:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LMNO

Cain

Oh, and you might like to know that there was a Facebook group that opposed the march, that was quite popular.  Only, one of the people running the group is a BNP activist.  The founder of the group has been told, yet does not have a problem with this.

Some forms of extremism are bad.  Other forms of extremism, however, are perfectly acceptable.  Funny how so few of those marches get banned, despite their glorification of Nazism, which is responsible for far worse crimes than the current crop of Islamists.

Payne

Quote from: Cain on January 14, 2010, 08:40:36 PM
OK, that was a little pissy, even by my standards.

But seriously.  Look, there was a massive project about, oh, 20 years ago now, to systematically study war in its entirety.  It was pretty big, had lots of money behind it and lots of smart people working on it.  They studied every war of the past 500 years in Europe (hardly a small sample), collected every piece of data possible, every single available metric, and analysed it to hell and back.  The analysis alone took nearly a decade to do, and the conclusions had to be written up in a book.  A heavy book.  You know what those conclusions were?

There were none.

The study showed that war was essentially impossible to predict.  And we're talking things like economic interdependence, population booms, depopulation, disease, famine, refugees, religious conflict, alliance systems, technological imbalances and a whole host of other factors.  Every single possible rule had several counterexamples, none of which matched the other in terms of what factor differed.  This was the most rigorous study of the causes of war to date, and the only firm conclusion they came to was that you can't come to a firm conclusion about war. 

They couldn't figure anything out, so I wouldn't expect anyone here to do any better.

:mittens:

Triple Zero

That's awesome. I will use it to annoy people with nihilism, if an appropriate topic comes up.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.