News:

By the power of lulz, I, while living, have conquered the internets.

Main Menu

An Observation.

Started by Sister Fracture, September 15, 2011, 11:39:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sister Fracture

The season of Bake and Boil, which runs from WTF It Was Cold Yesterday (February for those of you in wonky, non-holy areas) to O Tucson It Is Hot, Is It My Turn To Shoot You Or Am I The One Getting Shot Today (late August, mid September, even as late as early October) has come to an end, but our normal season following that, Burn and Haze, hasn't begun.  In fact, the strange amount of rain that we've had (are still having, someone send Pixie some chocolates), pretty much assures us that there won't be one, either.  This leaves the inhabitants of our God-City feeling anxious and uncertain, if vastly more comfortable. 

You see, Burn and Haze serves a very important purpose.  When the weather turns nice after Bake and Boil ends, people are more apt to go do stuff like camping and hiking.  However, this is dangerous, since any exposure to the wild parts of Tucson result in a powerful urge to wander emanating from the land itself.  Most people who've already gone that far out of the city already can't resist such an alluring call, and so they disappear, feeding Tucson and making it stronger.  Burn and Haze prevents these doomed excursions by activating some survival instinct in certain people who are more, umm, malleable and are prone to silly acts.  These people suddenly decide it would be a good idea to go camping, usually up Mt Lemmon or out Tombstone's way, get out for the weekend, have barbecques, get some friends together, yeah it'll be awesome!  And one thing that is a camping staple anywhere is the campfire.  The unprotected and unwatched campfire is the ritual that summons Burn and Haze itself by setting the entire county on fire, surviving the ritual is optional, and after this point it is too dangerous to go [alone, take this!] out there, and Tucson remains in a perpetually weakened state once again.

But there is more danger than just Burn and Haze not beginning as planned.  The wilderness has actually infiltrated the city proper with all the rain.  The winds smell not of heat and bile, as during Bake and Boil, nor do they smell of smoke and death.  The wind smells like green, green growing things.  The panorama doesn't make one say "Fuck that, it even looks too hot," and isn't covered in smoke.  Everywhere you look, inviting plants (I think it's called "grass") and flowers and bushes cover every square inch of soil that is poisoned with hate.  This City is more dangerous than ever, because it is falsely alluring, begging everyone, even the prodigal meth heads, to ravish its unexplored places, to run forever down forgotten roads, to laugh alone in the bright sunshine in the wide expanse and hear what it's like to speak into a void, to see the marvels that only exist in the pure and undefiled places. 

And therein lies our danger.  To follow this age-old call is to be destroyed utterly, for rare is the return from a spontaneous, ill planned venture into a God who is also our Enemy.
Roaring Berserkery Bunny of the North End™

A Tucsonite is like a Christian in several important ways.  For one thing, they believe what they say about their god in the most literal, straightfaced way possible.  For another, they both know their god can hear them.  The difference between the two, however, is quite vast in terms of their relationship with their god; Christians believe in His benevolence, but Tucsonites KNOW of The City's spite and hate.

the last yatto

I could never be a desert creature, since I bitch and moan anytime its over 70.

But this, burn and haze, goes a long way to explain the crazy you and Dok says thrives out there.
Look, asshole:  Your 'incomprehensible' act, your word-salad, your pinealism...It BORES ME.  I've been incomprehensible for so long, I TEACH IT TO MBA CANDIDATES.  So if you simply MUST talk about your pineal gland or happy children dancing in the wildflowers, go talk to Roger, because he digs that kind of shit

Freeky

Oh yeah, there's like three seasons out here.  Burn and Haze, Bake and Boil, and Juuuuust Right.  It's like we're a fairy tale gone bad. :lulz:

Luna

The Juuuuust Right lasts for, what, three days?   :wink:
Death-dealing hormone freak of deliciousness
Pagan-Stomping Valkyrie of the Interbutts™
Rampaging Slayer of Shit-Fountain Habitues

"My father says that almost the whole world is asleep. Everybody you know, everybody you see, everybody you talk to. He says that only a few people are awake, and they live in a state of constant, total amazement."

Quote from: The Payne on November 16, 2011, 07:08:55 PM
If Luna was a furry, she'd sex humans and scream "BEASTIALITY!" at the top of her lungs at inopportune times.

Quote from: Nigel on March 24, 2011, 01:54:48 AM
I like the Luna one. She is a good one.

"Stop talking to yourself.  You don't like you any better than anyone else who knows you."

Freeky

Quote from: Luna on September 16, 2011, 02:50:21 AM
The Juuuuust Right lasts for, what, three days?   :wink:

Two to three months or so, when the rest of the country is locked in an ice age.

I bet you won't be laughing when is blizzarding over your house and we'll be posting about how freezing cold it is at 65F. :fap:

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I LOVE THIS, FREEKY! :mittens:

I wish I could see Tucson right now.

Also, would you consider mailing a copy of it to you-know-who?
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Luna

Quote from: Jenkem and SPACE/TIME on September 16, 2011, 02:52:53 AM

Two to three months or so, when the rest of the country is locked in an ice age.

I bet you won't be laughing when is blizzarding over your house and we'll be posting about how freezing cold it is at 65F. :fap:

Pft, it doesn't blizzard for crap, here.  Oh, people bitch and moan about a lousy six inches of snow, but that's not a BLIZZARD...

"My father says that almost the whole world is asleep. Everybody you know, everybody you see, everybody you talk to. He says that only a few people are awake, and they live in a state of constant, total amazement."

If Luna was a furry, she'd sex humans and scream "BEASTIALITY!" at the top of her lungs at inopportune times.

"Stop talking to yourself.  You don't like you any better than anyone else who knows you."

Freeky

Quote from: Luna on September 16, 2011, 03:00:06 AM

Pft, it doesn't blizzard for crap, here.  Oh, people bitch and moan about a lousy six inches of snow, but that's not a BLIZZARD...

Am going to save this comment for when is Juuust Right here.  Hee hee hee.

Luna

Quote from: Jenkem and SPACE/TIME on September 16, 2011, 03:05:40 AM
Quote from: Luna on September 16, 2011, 03:00:06 AM

Am going to save this comment for when is Juuust Right here.  Hee hee hee.

Feel free.   :lulz:  I'm aware that I just put out the welcome mat for a foot of snow, here. 

Freeky

Quote from: Nigel on September 16, 2011, 02:57:13 AM

Absolutely!  

I want to take some pictures here in the next couple days.  I discovered that very close to here is the point where the siren calls never stop, and I only saw about fifteen feet of that.  I want to know what it looks like at the top of that hill.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Jenkem and SPACE/TIME on September 16, 2011, 03:07:48 AM

Absolutely!  

I want to take some pictures here in the next couple days.  I discovered that very close to here is the point where the siren calls never stop, and I only saw about fifteen feet of that.  I want to know what it looks like at the top of that hill.

:x and then Freeky never came back.

Be careful, Freeky! This is like when people just take their shoes off and walk into the ocean.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Freeky

Quote from: Nigel on September 16, 2011, 03:22:20 AM

Absolutely!  

Be careful, Freeky! This is like when people just take their shoes off and walk into the ocean.

That's probably exactly what is like, but I'm going crazy not knowing.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Jenkem and SPACE/TIME on September 16, 2011, 03:47:26 AM

Absolutely!  

Carry a walkie-talkie so Dok can reach you...

the last yatto

Absolutely!  

thats my favorite scene in cthulhu
Look, asshole:  Your 'incomprehensible' act, your word-salad, your pinealism...It BORES ME.  I've been incomprehensible for so long, I TEACH IT TO MBA CANDIDATES.  So if you simply MUST talk about your pineal gland or happy children dancing in the wildflowers, go talk to Roger, because he digs that kind of shit

Freeky

Quote from: Nigel on September 16, 2011, 04:10:33 AM
Quote from: Jenkem and SPACE/TIME on September 16, 2011, 03:47:26 AM

Absolutely!  

Carry a walkie-talkie so Dok can reach you...
I'll have my cell.  If I took a walkie talkie it'd probably be something like this at Dok's end:

-kssh- "Okay, I parked, now I'm walking up the hill." -kssh-
"You know there's nothing over there, right?"
-kssh- "So?" -kssh-
"All right, but I'll say I told you so when you never come back."
-kssh- "So?" -kssh-
"Point."
-kssh- "Oh, wow.  It's so beautiful... -kssh-

Five minutes later:

"I told you so."

And then I was never heard from again. :sad: