News:

PD.com: Taoism in a clown costume.

Main Menu

Anatomy of a Meme

Started by Cramulus, July 24, 2007, 02:10:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Triple Zero

http://danzarrella.com/designing-for-contagiousness.html

relevant. this guy researches how memes become viral, and does it using statistics and numbers he gets from analyzing (amongst other things) huge amounts of twitter-data, what gets retweeted etc.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Caliginos Gnosticos

This is some excellent info. I've definitely got plans* to put this all to good use**...

*plans being defined as vague ideas that I will probably do something with at some point
**good use being defined as amusing and/or socially beneficial in my opinion
I found Eris dancing atop the hill, hair the color of spring rainbows, eyes the color of a hippy commune seen through a kaleidoscope, laughing with a sweet, gentle voice like the sound of bells recorded on a warped record and played back on an over-wound Victrola.
   "My Goddess, why do you laugh?" I asked.
   "Why do you not?" She asked in return.
   "Because life is difficult. The world is not a friendly place." I replied.
   "My poor child. I am your Goddess, and My love for you is without bounds." She giggled "Hear my words and find comfort and wisdom: Laugh in the face of adversity, and I shall laugh with you. Cry in the face of adversity, and I shall laugh at you."
   And I heard Her words and laughed.

The One Right and True Cabal of the Sacred Sock Monkey

Visit The Sock Monkey Cabal Discordian Library

Triple Zero

Another really good post by this Dan Zarella guy:

How to Make and Spread Rumors
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Cramulus

zip, both of those articles are  :memnoch:

and that's good

in particular, I think the first one suggests we should turn the default forum skin to MEATSCAPES

Rococo Modem Basilisk

Second one indicates that probably most of our good memebombs aren't contagious -- we might benefit from having better capsids (so that people will pass them along before they 'get' them). It seems to indicate that stuff will generally be spread between two groups who are in agreement in a memeplex, and since memebombs break memeplexes they won't be catchy with their intended audience.

I am not "full of hate" as if I were some passive container. I am a generator of hate, and my rage is a renewable resource, like sunshine.

Reginald Ret

that is a fascinating idea enki.
maybe a memebomb that is very infectuous when not understood in a certain way and memeplex breaking when understood in that way.
that way it will propagate untill everyone receiving it gets 'it'
Lord Byron: "Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves."

Nigel saying the wisest words ever uttered: "It's just a suffix."

"The worst forum ever" "The most mediocre forum on the internet" "The dumbest forum on the internet" "The most retarded forum on the internet" "The lamest forum on the internet" "The coolest forum on the internet"

Telarus

"Some say the Apple marked 'Kallisti' was made of Gold. Some say it was made of Acapulco Gold."

There's an example direct from the Principia.
Telarus, KSC,
.__.  Keeper of the Contradictory Cephalopod, Zenarchist Swordsman,
(0o)  Tender to the Edible Zen Garden, Ratcheting Metallic Sex Doll of The End Times,
/||\   Episkopos of the Amorphous Dreams Cabal

Join the Doll Underground! Experience the Phantasmagorical Safari!

Rococo Modem Basilisk

The best I could do in terms of trying to adapt the memebomb idea to something that will memebomb and *still* be catchy is subversive limericks. I haven't come up with any yet, for the record.

I am not "full of hate" as if I were some passive container. I am a generator of hate, and my rage is a renewable resource, like sunshine.

Sir Bearington

My personal checklist for making the anatomy of a meme is

- Stupidity/Obscurity

- Catchy Name

- Abundant retards with Reddit

Rococo Modem Basilisk

Quote from: Sir Bearington on July 27, 2012, 04:12:49 PM
My personal checklist for making the anatomy of a meme is

- Stupidity/Obscurity

- Catchy Name

- Abundant retards with Reddit

Not all memes are image macros.

Nephew Twiddleton

The idiot is banned. But quite right. Zombie apocalypse is a meme for example.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS