Main Menu

Richter's Spag - Along Workshop

Started by Richter, February 27, 2009, 02:21:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sir Squid Diddimus

Neat stuff dude.
Especially diggin the meat grinder.

Richter

Thanks, Squid.  Currently I'm seeing if I use the springs to give a "nerf" gun a bit more oomph. :mrgreen:

Quote from: Cait M. R. on December 31, 2009, 09:33:17 AM
Quote from: Felix on December 31, 2009, 08:36:43 AM
I like the last one.  It gave me an idea for a collapsible flail.

WANT

I did something like this in high school, and for my house keys in the old neighborhood.  Many combos of stick, carabiner, weight / keys, and lanyard are worthwhile.
Quote from: Eater of Clowns on May 22, 2015, 03:00:53 AM
Anyone ever think about how Richter inhabits the same reality as you and just scream and scream and scream, but in a good way?   :lulz:

Friendly Neighborhood Mentat

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Richter on December 30, 2009, 01:12:15 AM
Recent projects.  I took Nigel's advice and got a bench grinder.  Fire hazard me damned.

I got into carving wood and bone for no apparent reason.  One of the first hurdles was getting good tiny carving tools.  So I bought a cheap cold chisel, and made one.

The steel COULD be harder, and it requires semi frequent sharpening.  (cheap diamond hone, then on a Norton Abrasives 1000 grit synthetic stone.)  May try to harden it later, but as is it will get and stay sharp enough to cut through your finger without you feeling it. 

This was one of my first experiments in carving symbols in things, and staining them with India ink.  The symbol, for those into WH40K, is appropriate considering accidents with the above tool.  (Definitely NOT madjicquackle sigil.)  I plan to try some scrimshaw style work too. 

Also in the Warhammer vein, an Inquisitorial rosette I'm filing / grinding out of a scrap of steel plate I found.  It's been the boredom project for awhile.  Finishing it whenever.  On the right is a laminated printout I use for profile / size.

Kubotans as "self defense tool" (read: weapons marketed to the gun control crowd), have always seemed lackluster to me.  Too short for a real stick, too lightweight for a proper fistload, more like half a mini - nunchuck or flail bit for your keys.  (better to have a big carabiner clip)  Then I found an 8" brass "punch" at Harbor Freight today cheap.  Not the ideal tool, but it still handles decently for what it is, more reach and heft than any commercial model I've seen yet.

BENCH GRINDER!!!!!

BEST PURCHASE EVER.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Richter

Anyone ever think about how Richter inhabits the same reality as you and just scream and scream and scream, but in a good way?   :lulz:

Richter

So in the course of making a 3 egg omelet the other day, the idea for this came up.  I'm still not entirely sure WHY, but I could do it.  I now have a pan for better bacon preparation, smiting the demonic, or alarming missionaries.

That's my rotary tool (generic flexshaft dremel) in the background.  It hangs form the ceiling.

Three recent projects:

One cleaned and restored aluminum slide ruler.  Won't warp or rot like the wooden ones, my analog, power free number cruncher.

One Old butcher knife modified into a seax (pre - medieval bowie knife equivalent.) 

One "Pocket anvil", and old chunk of steel with a side radiused, polished, and the hole for punching / rivet removal.  (It's the thing the other tools are resting on. 

Fredfredly ⊂(◉‿◉)つ

IS THAT TO MAKE KOSHER BACON WITH?

nifty

Nast

So swote!

:mittens:

Do you think it'll wear down eventually because of contact with the burner?
"If I owned Goodwill, no charity worker would feel safe.  I would sit in my office behind a massive pile of cocaine, racking my pistol's slide every time the cleaning lady came near.  Auditors, I'd just shoot."

Richter

Thanks all  :)

Nast, it's engraved about .5 mm deep.  Knowing the lifespan of cast iron it will eventually wear down if the pan is kept properly usable, but it will take awhile.  I ground through the coating of seasoning, which is why it's so bright for now.  I COULD try to blue or patina it a different shade, or jsut regrind a bit if I ever want it touched up.  Until then the engraving is on the underside, so I still have a  usable pan.  I have the fun of doing it for only the time, and cost of soapstone, pencil lead, and $0.50 worth of silicon carbide grinding bits.

Richter

I wouldn't try it with a nonstick.  The pan I used was cast iron.  In THEORY one could engrave the inside really deep and re-season it.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Richter on February 21, 2010, 12:53:13 AM
I wouldn't try it with a nonstick.  The pan I used was cast iron.  In THEORY one could engrave the inside really deep and re-season it.

mmmm, kosher bacon!
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."