News:

It's not laughter if you're just going through the muscle movements you remember from the times you actually gave a fuck.

Main Menu

Experiments with monkeys

Started by omnihil, March 31, 2014, 03:41:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Good Reverend Roger

" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Pæs

Now replace the cold shower with a dangerous predator and realise that you're an advocate for being rejected by natural selection.

GTFO my gene pool.

hooplala

I haven't read all that many scientific studies which try to imagine what monkeys might say in the situations scientists place them in...
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

hooplala

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
— Walt Whitman

The Good Reverend Roger

I don't think it matters (the 100 bonobos thing was a hoax, as well).  What matters is that by post 2, the OP was telling us all what horrible hive-mind monkeys we are.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

hooplala

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 31, 2014, 02:26:33 PM
I don't think it matters (the 100 bonobos thing was a hoax, as well).  What matters is that by post 2, the OP was telling us all what horrible hive-mind monkeys we are.

That's not what I took from that.

I took from it that society robotically repeats certain behaviors without any understanding (or attempt to understand) of why such actions take place, because: SHEEPLE.  But, I could be jumping the gun there.

"Do I contradict myself?
— Walt Whitman

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Hoopla on March 31, 2014, 03:29:07 PM

I took from it that society robotically repeats certain behaviors without any understanding (or attempt to understand) of why such actions take place, because: SHEEPLE.  But, I could be jumping the gun there.

So could I, but I doubt it.

hooplala

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 31, 2014, 03:41:31 PM

Your track record speaks for itself.

"Do I contradict myself?
— Walt Whitman

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Hoopla on March 31, 2014, 03:47:47 PM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 31, 2014, 03:41:31 PM

Your track record speaks for itself.

I am sometimes mistaken.  I hope that's the case here, but I kinda doubt it.

The Good Reverend Roger

Granted, I am a horrible paranoid bastard.

omnihil

Alright then, should've known that something posted in the form of a meme-image with text on it would be a fabrication on the internet.  But like what the Good Reverend Roger said, it's the message that's more important.  It clearly outlines a behavioral pattern that describes the mutations apparent in many ways of life, such as religions, like Christianity for example, which most likely is barely even recognizable to the people who first practiced esoteric Christian pseudo-Jewish magic stuff.

Mainly, I just think if more people thought about the phenomenon occurring in this "experiment", it would be a good thing for the thinkers out there.  A fable if you will.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: omnihil on March 31, 2014, 11:38:46 PM
Alright then, should've known that something posted in the form of a meme-image with text on it would be a fabrication on the internet.  But like what the Good Reverend Roger said, it's the message that's more important.  It clearly outlines a behavioral pattern that describes the mutations apparent in many ways of life, such as religions, like Christianity for example, which most likely is barely even recognizable to the people who first practiced esoteric Christian pseudo-Jewish magic stuff.

Mainly, I just think if more people thought about the phenomenon occurring in this "experiment", it would be a good thing for the thinkers out there.  A fable if you will.

So, it's fake, but we should treat it as real?

Sort of like the free market, then.

Pæs

Quote from: omnihil on March 31, 2014, 11:38:46 PM

The phenomenon which the article Nigel posted, (which presumably you read, judging by your response?) refers to in saying "regardless of its cause, this [sex difference] raises serious questions about the robustness of the phenomenon" and "the real experiment didn't even make the point that MM wanted to make"?

You can't continue to use it as evidence for your position after it's been discredited so.