News:

Not just a bunch of "Trotskyist, car-hating, Hugo Chavez idolising, newt-fancying hypocrites and bendy bus fetishists."

Main Menu

FFFFUUUUUUUUUU

Started by Jasper, January 14, 2010, 06:47:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LMNO

That could also conceivably be a Discworld plot.  Damn Alzheimer's.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Let me summarize, using words that other people wrote:

1. We're made out of meat.

2. We don't know what we don't know.

After that there are reams of blah blah blah about his pet theory, posthumanism, and what it all means. I swear to god, philosophers just seem to want to suck all the magic out of science.

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Cain on February 07, 2013, 03:58:10 PM
Yes, he has some other posts where he uses his more normal writing style, which is very eloquent (as you'd expect from a professional writer).

He's also fully aware that the language of philosophy is probably second only to the language of critical literary theory in terms of being incomprehensible to outsiders.  He has in fact written an (as far unpublished) parody literary novel based around this premise.

If by "incomprehensible" you mean fucking retarded, I am in 100% agreement.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

EK WAFFLR

Quote from: M. Nigel Salt on February 07, 2013, 04:04:00 PM
philosophers just seem to want to suck all the magic out of science.

BEST THING I'VE HEARD SAID ABOUT PHILOSOPHY EVER
"At first I lifted weights.  But then I asked myself, 'why not people?'  Now everyone runs for the fjord when they see me."

Horribly Oscillating Assbasket of Deliciousness
[/b]

Cain

I don't know, I couldn't understand it.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I am closing my eyes and imagining the satisfying "thunk thunk thunk schwwwp" and the lovely red spreading out into the water.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Doktor Howl

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on January 14, 2010, 01:30:16 PM
Perhaps Hofsteader has some insight?

Crudely put, if you stack enough high-function metaprocessors on top of the sensory equipment, the possibility of emergence may increase.  That is to say, you can't "program" consciousness, but you can create fertile environments which may foster it.

Also, an AI that was smart enough to be self-aware would be smart enough to hide it.

Just a thought.
Molon Lube

LMNO

Point the first: This reminds me of when I find myself in a room full of stupid people. Don't let them find out.

Point the second:

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on January 15, 2010, 01:40:09 PM
Quote from: The Right Reverend Nigel on January 15, 2010, 04:38:39 AM
I require giant robots that run like horses.

For some reason, I found that hauntingly poetic and awesome.  And now I want one.

I was reading through the thread and had the exact same thought as I did five years ago.

Point the third: FIVE YEARS AGO?!

Doktor Howl

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on May 06, 2015, 06:32:57 PM
Point the first: This reminds me of when I find myself in a room full of stupid people. Don't let them find out.

Point the second:

For some reason, I found that hauntingly poetic and awesome.  And now I want one.

I was reading through the thread and had the exact same thought as I did five years ago.

Dude, we've been here for more than 12 years.
Molon Lube

LMNO

I don't know if I should be proud or embarrassed.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on May 06, 2015, 06:36:12 PM
I don't know if I should be proud or embarrassed.

The correct answer is "old". You should feel old.

hooplala

Quote from: Doktor Howl on May 06, 2015, 06:33:35 PM
Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on May 06, 2015, 06:32:57 PM

Point the second:

Dude, we've been here for more than 12 years.

My ten year anniversary was actually last month.

*blows noise maker*
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

Cainad (dec.)

A mere seven and a half-ish years.

Prelate Diogenes Shandor

Much like positing a creator deity*, positing a non-physical element of consciousness merely hides the problem at hand somewhere where its continued presence is not immediately apparent. Because regardless of whether the mind is composed of flesh and nerve impulses or if it's made out of ectoplasm/pnuema/n-rays/P.K.E./vibrations/positive-and-negative-furies/massacred-space-aliens/monads/aether/any other kind of woo-woo BS, that doesn't change the fact that there must be some mechanism by which it performs its function; so all dualism does is  add epicycles and multiplies assumptions needlessly.

*Which raises the question of where the creator deity came from and therefore merely makes the question of origin more complex rather than answering it
Praise NHGH! For the tribulation of all sentient beings.

a plague on both your houses -Mercutio

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrTGgpWmdZQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVWd7nPjJH8

It is an unfortunate fact that every man who seeks to disseminate knowledge must contend not only against ignorance itself, but against false instruction as well. No sooner do we deem ourselves free from a particularly gross superstition, than we are confronted by some enemy to learning who would plunge us back into the darkness -H.P.Lovecraft

He who fights with monsters must take care lest he thereby become a monster -Nietzsche

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHhrZgojY1Q

You are a fluke of the universe, and whether you can hear it of not the universe is laughing behind your back -Deteriorata

Don't use the email address in my profile, I lost the password years ago