News:

Endorsement:  I know that all of you fucking discordians are just a bunch of haters who seem to do anything you can to distance yourself from fucking anarchists which is just fine and dandy sit in your house on your computer and type inane shite all day until your fingers fall off.

Main Menu

Can we talk about me now? (Open bar thread #3,494)

Started by Juana, October 04, 2012, 04:31:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nephew Twiddleton

Thanks nigel.

Yeah add to that list of things i dont know what your talking about
-i dont know about the celebrity youre talking about
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Cain

Quote from: CAKE on October 29, 2012, 02:48:21 PM
Quote from: Secret Agent GARBO on October 29, 2012, 06:24:58 AM
I hate petnames. Hate hate hate them. From everyone, but especially from strangers. They are condescending and full of false intimacy. People who know me know better than to use them with me.

What do you mean by "petnames"? To me, a pet name is an affectionate name that is given you by someone who knows you well. Like my friends calling me K-dogg.

Do you mean things like "hon" and "sweetie" from strangers? That has always seemed deeply inappropriate to me because they are intimate terms of address.

I think she means giving names to pets.  It's anthropomorphizing them and robbing them of their individual and species wide qualities.

If you have a dog, you should just call it Dog.  If you have another Dog, refer to it as Dog #2

LMNO

Quote from: CAKE on October 29, 2012, 02:49:45 PM
Quote from: Nephew Twiddleton on October 29, 2012, 05:15:56 AM
Missed that scene.

Who the fuck is robert paulson?

If it makes you feel any better, Twid, I have no idea either, and it irritates me when people act like you're clueless because you happened to miss sitting in front of the idiot tube for something they consider a crucially important part of their cultural background.

The Meatloaf character in Fight Club.

Nephew Twiddleton

Oh. Yeah. Ive never seen fight club. Yeah i know. Whatever.

Thanks lmno for answering the question.

Nephew Twiddleton

I also dont really care about thing the internet has decided are important things to be interested in.

For example i dont see myself watching fight club or v for vendetta anytime in the near future and anytime someone mentions zombies i get a little irritated.

The Good Reverend Roger

Never seen fight club?

WTF?  I highly recommend it.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Nephew Twiddleton

I may watch it at some point. But yeah i dont go to the movies very often (i think the last time i went was two years ago) and you cant exactly walk into a blockbuster these days.

Mangrove

Quote from: Nephew Twiddleton on October 29, 2012, 03:41:30 PM
I also dont really care about thing the internet has decided are important things to be interested in.

For example i dont see myself watching fight club or v for vendetta anytime in the near future and anytime someone mentions zombies i get a little irritated.

'Fight Club' is pretty cool as a movie and was one of those rare 'didn't ruin the book' moments. Haven't seen V for Vendetta' and, I agree, the whole 'Zombie apocalypse LOL' thing is played out.
What makes it so? Making it so is what makes it so.

Juana

I hate petnames. Hate hate hate them. From everyone, but especially from strangers. They are condescending and full of false intimacy. People who know me know better than to use them with me.

What do you mean by "petnames"? To me, a pet name is an affectionate name that is given you by someone who knows you well. Like my friends calling me K-dogg.

Do you mean things like "hon" and "sweetie" from strangers? That has always seemed deeply inappropriate to me because they are intimate terms of address.
"K-Dogg" I would classify as a nickname, which are different than a pet name and are things I like. Pet names would be, yeah, "hon" and "sweetheart" and the like, which I don't like from ANYONE.
"I dispose of obsolete meat machines.  Not because I hate them (I do) and not because they deserve it (they do), but because they are in the way and those older ones don't meet emissions codes.  They emit too much.  You don't like them and I don't like them, so spare me the hysteria."

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Secret Agent GARBO on October 29, 2012, 05:59:42 PM

"K-Dogg" I would classify as a nickname, which are different than a pet name and are things I like. Pet names would be, yeah, "hon" and "sweetheart" and the like, which I don't like from ANYONE.

I like 'em, when it's my wife saying them.  She is the one person that doesn't annoy me by shortening my name.

Or, hell, my daughter (Baldy, Old Man, etc)

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Juana

Quote from: Mangrove on October 29, 2012, 04:38:09 PM
Quote from: Nephew Twiddleton on October 29, 2012, 03:41:30 PM

'Fight Club' is pretty cool as a movie and was one of those rare 'didn't ruin the book' moments. Haven't seen V for Vendetta' and, I agree, the whole 'Zombie apocalypse LOL' thing is played out.
V for Vendetta, the movie, is imo kind of juvenile and disaffected-teenager. But the comic is very, very good.
"I dispose of obsolete meat machines.  Not because I hate them (I do) and not because they deserve it (they do), but because they are in the way and those older ones don't meet emissions codes.  They emit too much.  You don't like them and I don't like them, so spare me the hysteria."

Juana

Quote from: Reverend Roadkill on October 29, 2012, 06:02:08 PM

I like 'em, when it's my wife saying them.  She is the one person that doesn't annoy me by shortening my name.

I don't really have a nickname I can think of, aside from the mangling of the name I usually go by that a friend uses to annoy me. My name is too short to really lend itself to nicknames.

Cain

They neutered the fuck out of V.  It turns from a rather more complex story of revolutionary-terroristic anarchism versus technocratic fascism to "LOL BUSH IS A NAZI".  And then V is a liberal chatshow host.  With knives.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Secret Agent GARBO on October 29, 2012, 06:06:49 PM
Quote from: Reverend Roadkill on October 29, 2012, 06:02:08 PM

I don't really have a nickname I can think of, aside from the mangling of the name I usually go by that a friend uses to annoy me. My name is too short to really lend itself to nicknames.

To Jenn, I'm "Rog" or "Honey" or "DUMBFUCK".

To me, Jenn is "Baby"1, "Honey", or "TAKE YOUR CLOTHES OFF, PLEASE".

1 Yes, I know this is some sexist shit from the 60s or whatever, but she likes it and that's all that matters to me.

Juana

If she's cool with it, I don't think it matters.