News:

In my heart I knew that rotten testicles and inflamed penises were on the way.

Main Menu

Tucson Chronicles Thread

Started by The Good Reverend Roger, November 16, 2012, 04:26:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Good Reverend Roger

Tucson:  Send us your tired, your poor, your weak, your undesireables.  Tucson will accept them all...But don't bother telling your tale of woe.  Tucson doesn't care.  Tucson just wants you to SHUT UP.  It is the City of Silence.

Sure, we have artists, but we keep them all safely stuffed in South Filth where they can't bother anyone with their ideas.  Those ideas just upset everyone else, and an upset population isn't very silent.

The good Tucsonans keep the curtains closed, fearing the daylight.  Television on.  Sirens in the distance, but not for you.  Not tonight.  That's someone else's bad day happening out there, and you'll fucking stay put unless you want to share that other guy's bad day.  Capisce?

Yeah, that's what I thought.

But still a thought gets inside my mind, that maybe things don't actually have to be this way.  That humans aren't meant to live like animals in cages.  That there is actually very little consolation in not having very far to fall.  That the present system, The Machine, is monstrous and should be put to the sword.  Burn the horrible thing down, dance on the ashes, screaming the words to the Goddamn Star-Spangled Banner until they shoot me down like a dog. 

I am not an address!  I am not a number!  I AM NOT HAVING THAT!

But then the sun comes up and smashes me into the pavement like a giant, angry God stubbing out a cigarette.  And so I retreat back inside, where at least there's the blues.  The blues are always there for you, don't you know?  They can make you feel a bit better about basically being the topic of their own lyrics.  Recursive hell, down here where the muck goes.  Down here where the sirens wail all night and the cops cry in their whiskey and total strangers pound on your door, demanding to know who you voted for or what church you attend or can you answer their fucking survey.  Down where there are no smiling EMTs, and the politicians have grins normally seen in aquariums.

But still a thought gets inside my mind, that maybe things don't actually have to be this way.  We can rise up, lose our collective shit, smash it all and fuck the consequences.  But, thing is, now it's time for pills.  Time to get full eating pills.  Goddamn pills to wake up and pills to go to sleep and I remember a time when things were different.

No, wait.  Scratch all that.  Tucson is just a city, man, just a city and it can't actually love you.  But I love IT.  I love it and I'll never leave, because here in Tucson we all live forever, and we're afraid that if we leave, all that stored time will SLAM into us all at once, and we'll just be dust and bones rolling down into New Mexico.  So, no, we stay.  We stay, and we love Mama Tucson, and we'll be loving her when the last stars fade out in the night sky, and it's just us and her left in a cold, dead universe.

Come to Tucson.  It's great.  It's so wonderful that you can't stop crying out of sheer joy, screaming out of sheer love...But doing so silently, because Mama likes her quiet time.

To be continued in this thread.

" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Juana

Excellent. I like the imagery (especially the stubbing out a cigarette bit) and look forward to more.
"I dispose of obsolete meat machines.  Not because I hate them (I do) and not because they deserve it (they do), but because they are in the way and those older ones don't meet emissions codes.  They emit too much.  You don't like them and I don't like them, so spare me the hysteria."

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Secret Agent GARBO on November 16, 2012, 04:53:56 PM
Excellent. I like the imagery (especially the stubbing out a cigarette bit) and look forward to more.

There's at least two more pages to this.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Juana

"I dispose of obsolete meat machines.  Not because I hate them (I do) and not because they deserve it (they do), but because they are in the way and those older ones don't meet emissions codes.  They emit too much.  You don't like them and I don't like them, so spare me the hysteria."

LMNO

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on November 16, 2012, 05:52:05 PM

Beneath all of your cities.

Where there's brass, there's muck.  We are a prototype, cast aside when you bastards built the real thing.  No, wait, we're the Garden of Eden, but God makes us eat the apples, now.

Anna Mae Bollocks

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on November 16, 2012, 05:56:25 PM
Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on November 16, 2012, 05:52:05 PM

Beneath all of your cities.

Where there's brass, there's muck.  We are a prototype, cast aside when you bastards built the real thing.  No, wait, we're the Garden of Eden, but God makes us eat the apples, now.

God's still rolling people in their sleep for their ribs, too. He just tells people they'll get a woman out of it.

Great stuff.
Scantily-Clad Inspector of Gigantic and Unnecessary Cashews, Texas Division

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Cardinal Pizza Deliverance.

I saw Tucson once. It was in Iowa, the Quad Cities. It's really four shitty towns on the river trying to hold it together so the water doesn't rise up and swallow them whole, but they call themselves cities anyway. Sometime around when fall turns the trees naked and winter sucks the warmth out of everything, replacing it with frost. I couldn't sleep and so as usual I was walking around town at 3 a.m.

As I crossed the street at an empty intersection, I saw a storm drain where there hadn't been one before. Peering out of it were eyes the sides of my fist glittering gold and mud brown, tracking my movements. I wrote it off as sleep deprivation and walked through that same intersection a few more times as I made the loop, but there was never a storm drain and there weren't eyes. Just a lot of sand and chunks of glass, puddled against the curb.
Weevil-Infested Badfun Wrongsex Referee From The 9th Earth
Slick and Deranged Wombat of Manhood Questioning
Hulking Dormouse of Lust and DESPAIR™
Gatling Geyser of Rainbow AIDS

"The only way we can ever change anything is to look in the mirror and find no enemy." - Akala  'Find No Enemy'.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Cardinal Pizza Deliverance. on November 17, 2012, 04:59:42 AM
I saw Tucson once. It was in Iowa, the Quad Cities.

Been there.  Yep, it's Tucson.

Cardinal Pizza Deliverance.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on November 17, 2012, 04:05:16 PM
Quote from: Cardinal Pizza Deliverance. on November 17, 2012, 04:59:42 AM
I saw Tucson once. It was in Iowa, the Quad Cities.

Been there.  Yep, it's Tucson.

Yes indeedy. Every ear of corn in that area has an extra tangy-bitter taste it's either from the polluted soil and air, or it's the despair creeping in.
Weevil-Infested Badfun Wrongsex Referee From The 9th Earth
Slick and Deranged Wombat of Manhood Questioning
Hulking Dormouse of Lust and DESPAIR™
Gatling Geyser of Rainbow AIDS

"The only way we can ever change anything is to look in the mirror and find no enemy." - Akala  'Find No Enemy'.

Anna Mae Bollocks

Seguin is a weird branch of Tucson with nothing to do and no one capable of real conversation. It's like a Tucson sensory-deprivation tank.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: TEXAS FAIRIES FOR ALL YOU SPAGS on November 17, 2012, 08:57:17 PM
Seguin is a weird branch of Tucson with nothing to do and no one capable of real conversation. It's like a Tucson sensory-deprivation tank.

Seguin is what devils have nightmares about.

Anna Mae Bollocks

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on November 18, 2012, 01:10:44 AM
Quote from: TEXAS FAIRIES FOR ALL YOU SPAGS on November 17, 2012, 08:57:17 PM

Seguin is what devils have nightmares about.

*shudders*