News:

So essentially, the enemy of my enemy is not my friend, he's just another moronic, entitled turd in the bucket.

Main Menu

The Dreaming LARP

Started by Cramulus, January 27, 2010, 11:10:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cainad (dec.)

All of the players I brought into this still exist. However, by the end of this summer, the territories we've been playing in will no longer be available to us. Most of us are probably gonna have a hard time meeting up to Dreamwalk in the future, as well.

See this thread for details: http://www.principiadiscordia.com/forum/index.php?topic=24761.0

Dimocritus

Ugh... I've been swamped (quite literally, by the flood and all) recently. As soon as I can regain my bearings, I'll be getting in touch with Ricter about participating.

In the meantime, do you think there is a way to create a character class with a larger focus on the on-line community. For instance, a shop-keeper that people can visit at the website and buy tags for their weapons and such? Maybe they participate IRL by going on missions that lead them to valuable materials to make said tags. Maybe somewhat limited combat/feild abilities, but with greater access to good equipment, so they can participate in a skirmish when convenient, but aren't quite out of the game when they can't make it to IRL events? Just a thought.
HOUSE OF GABCab ~ "caecus plumbum caecus"

Telarus

huh, that's a nifty idea...

Also, Cram. Have you considered systems like the Keys and Secrets from Shadow of Yesterday?
Telarus, KSC,
.__.  Keeper of the Contradictory Cephalopod, Zenarchist Swordsman,
(0o)  Tender to the Edible Zen Garden, Ratcheting Metallic Sex Doll of The End Times,
/||\   Episkopos of the Amorphous Dreams Cabal

Join the Doll Underground! Experience the Phantasmagorical Safari!

Triple Zero

Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Cramulus

ugh. we'll see how this goes.

Telarus

I'll look around for some better diggs. I'm kinda relieved that something like this happened while you were in alpha/beta stages and not relying on them for managing a large dataset.
Telarus, KSC,
(0o)  Tender to the Edible Zen Garden, Ratcheting Metallic Sex Doll of The End Times,

Cramulus

for real. I hope there's a way to migrate the existing data somewhere else.

I would have eventually needed to get real creative in order to manage micropayments and stuff though, so maybe it's better to detach from ning

Ari

And I just got the cable I needed to transfer pics from the first dreamwalks I did to claim this town for the Mighty Boosh Cabal. Ah well, I hope we can keep this going somehow.
パンクビッチ

Triple Zero

Quote from: Cramulus on April 17, 2010, 02:34:50 AM
for real. I hope there's a way to migrate the existing data somewhere else.

What kind of data is there now? Is it a lot?
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Cramulus

There's about 100 photos, 45 blog posts, & 10 (past) events. 

Cramulus

ran 3 adventures yesterday

http://dreamings.ning.com/profiles/blogs/41710-the-enemy-divine-close

look at this wonderful picture

nope, not gonna explain it  :p

sadly, missed a dreaming event in mid-state NY  :sad:

Cainad (dec.)

Fae Portal: :argh!:

The Enemy Divine: I love the writeup, but overall do you think it went well? Is there anything in the Dreamwalk as it's written on the wiki that you would change?

Our group has been repeatedly held back by schedule conflicts, bronchitis, and tendinitis randomly striking various members. Sooner or later we'll get ourselves back in working order, though.

Cramulus

yeah, the Nemesis was a pushover! I think you should be able to build him as whatever class you want, but with no dailies. And like 12 health.  It was still a tough fight, but if the party saves its dailies for the boss, it can still be over pretty quickly.

Also, check out how I've used wikicode template blocks to create the "NPC cards" on other wiki pages.

All in all, it was a lot of fun! I want to see more modules like that -- ones that are sort of open ended, and have a lot of potential RP involved with them but nothing scripted too strictly. Things which would be a building block in your character's narrative.

It was also very short - only one encounter. As such, maybe the nemesis should get daily skills after all. hmmm I wonder

Telarus

Quote from: Cramulus on April 18, 2010, 06:35:44 PM
yeah, the Nemesis was a pushover! I think you should be able to build him as whatever class you want, but with no dailies. And like 12 health.  It was still a tough fight, but if the party saves its dailies for the boss, it can still be over pretty quickly.

Also, check out how I've used wikicode template blocks to create the "NPC cards" on other wiki pages.

All in all, it was a lot of fun! I want to see more modules like that -- ones that are sort of open ended, and have a lot of potential RP involved with them but nothing scripted too strictly. Things which would be a building block in your character's narrative.

It was also very short - only one encounter. As such, maybe the nemesis should get daily skills after all. hmmm I wonder

(haven't read it yet but I think...) Nemesis should have 2 sets of HPs. Once the first one is gone it buggers off for a set(ish) period of time and then shows back up when you can finally kill it.

Also, have you seen this yet?

http://tacit.livejournal.com/325223.html

Another day, another massive computer hack attack
QuoteNing is a personal social networking site founded by the guy who started Netscape, Marc Andreessen. It basically lets you create your own mini MySpace or LiveJournal or whatever you like--a small social networking platform aimed at whatever niche you want. It's had a checkered past, and has struggled to make money; three days ago, Ning announced that it would become pay only and would cancel its free services. It also fired 40% of its staff.

But that's not the really interesting part.

The really interesting part is that it looks like all of Ning, with all the social networks and online forums it hosts, has been pwn3d from balls to bones.

A search for some of the exact words and phrases used by the virus redirectors on nashville.net, one of Ning's social networking sites, produces 1,060,000 results...and as near as I can tell, they are all on Ning.

Now, a conspiracy theorist might come up with all kinds of conspiracies to explain this--disgruntled employees, knowing what was coming, leaving the back door open; executives of a foundering company, desperate for cash, turning a blind eye to Russian malware writers; whatever. I suspect that the reality is what it always is--incompetence, someone asleep at the switch, management that doesn't appreciate security and doesn't want to pay for it...the same sorts of things that seem to be behind this sort of thing almost every time.

But if you use Ning, or you know someone who does, my advice is to leave.
Telarus, KSC,

Dr. Paes

Quote from: Telarus on April 18, 2010, 10:32:53 PM
Also, have you seen this yet?

http://tacit.livejournal.com/325223.html

Another day, another massive computer hack attack
QuoteNing is a personal social networking site founded by the guy who started Netscape, Marc Andreessen. It basically lets you create your own mini MySpace or LiveJournal or whatever you like--a small social networking platform aimed at whatever niche you want. It's had a checkered past, and has struggled to make money; three days ago, Ning announced that it would become pay only and would cancel its free services. It also fired 40% of its staff.

But that's not the really interesting part.

The really interesting part is that it looks like all of Ning, with all the social networks and online forums it hosts, has been pwn3d from balls to bones.

A search for some of the exact words and phrases used by the virus redirectors on nashville.net, one of Ning's social networking sites, produces 1,060,000 results...and as near as I can tell, they are all on Ning.

Now, a conspiracy theorist might come up with all kinds of conspiracies to explain this--disgruntled employees, knowing what was coming, leaving the back door open; executives of a foundering company, desperate for cash, turning a blind eye to Russian malware writers; whatever. I suspect that the reality is what it always is--incompetence, someone asleep at the switch, management that doesn't appreciate security and doesn't want to pay for it...the same sorts of things that seem to be behind this sort of thing almost every time.

But if you use Ning, or you know someone who does, my advice is to leave.
Ugh.

We decided, as a business, that our best move would be to kill our free service to 2.3 million users and see how that goes down. See what that does for our image as a company. Also, at the same time, we are firing nearly half our staff.

Unfortunately, despite running a social networking site, we're not too good at making friends.

Oh, what's that? We're being hacked and used to distribute malware? Who has reason to wish us harm?
Ohnoes, halp we fail at internets business.