News:

For my part, I've replaced optimism and believing the best of people by default with a grin and the absolute 100% certainty that if they cannot find a pig to fuck, they will buy some bacon and play oinking noises on YouTube.

Main Menu

Twilight = Indirectly the success for Prop 8?

Started by Abbess Jade, July 13, 2010, 07:11:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Abbess Jade

I was fiddling around on Facebook when my friend, Felicia, happened to start a discussion with me about Twilight and how a lot of people have been saying that it's better than Harry Potter. We eventually get to the author itself, Stephanie Meyer. This is basically whatshe said, and I think it's a pretty good point:

During California's Prop 8 (for anyone who doesn't know, California had legalized gay marriage in 2008 - Prop 8 was the proposition that overturned that decree and banned gay marriage from California once more - the Mormon church, to which Stephanie Meyer is HEAVILY involved in, contributed GREATLY to ensuring Prop 8 was passed and gay marriage in California was no more), Stephanie Meyer donated at least 10 percent of all her profits from Twilight, to the Mormon Church. It is safe to say, she was a powerful asset in determining the outcome of that election and ensuring gay marriage was banned. I have no respect for an author who uses their profits from their writing to discriminate against people's sexual orientations, and broadening from that, anyone who discriminates against gender, race, etc.

I have many gay, bisexual, and lesbian friends who love Twilight - I'm sure there are several open and closeted homosexuals in this group who love Twilight as well thousands around the earth. I for one, kind of liked the reading when I was in Middle School, but completely disregarded it's worth when learning this information. How can a person respect an author and her work when the very people who read it and support her are the people she cannot stand or accept? That to me, is ridiculous, and completely hypocritical and close-minded of an author and her choices of where her money from the series' profits go. It is utter bigotry, old-world, and completely hypocritical.

The point? J. K. Rowling is people friendly and a compassionate person (clearly evident by her support to include a homosexual in her work, as one of the most inspiring, wise, and developed characters in literature, Professor Dumbledore - and her loving acceptance of her characters and others in reality), where as Stephanie Meyer is discriminatory and close-minded, clearly only looking out for her own pocket and her own beliefs as a Mormon, and not valuing the lives of her readers. You might think Twilight is better than Harry Potter, but all books stem from the authors that pen them - the story starts at the heart and mind of the writer - and in no way can Twilight EVER in any way, shape, or form, exceed the evolved thinking, positive attitudes, educational experiences, and true heart for humanity, that Harry Potter and its author exemplifies time and time again within each page turn, when Twilight's own message starts at the dark core of its hideous author.

AFK

Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Jasper

Cool.  This is the most substantial reason to utterly loathe Twilight I've heard of yet!

LMNO

Quote from: RWHN on July 13, 2010, 07:15:01 PM
What if I hate them both?

Then you call yourself a purist, and go back to masturbating to screencaps of The Dark Crystal.

AFK

Quote from: LMNO on July 13, 2010, 07:19:08 PM
Quote from: RWHN on July 13, 2010, 07:15:01 PM
What if I hate them both?

Then you call yourself a purist, and go back to masturbating to screencaps of The Last Unicorn.

Fixed.  Get it right spag!  :)

AFK

But, to not totally derail the thread....

It seems just a little tenuous to link the success of Twilight to the success of Prop 8.  I suppose there is a link-pin there, but I have to assume there are other wildly, financially successful Mormons besides Stephanie Meyers.  So I guess we have to blame Mitt Romney too.  (which is okay I suppose, because he's a gigantic dick.)

Requia ☣

You have to blame the non Mormons as well, since a lot us here in Utah do things that profits the Mormon church like shop at their malls.

I never really thought about that before.
Inflatable dolls are not recognized flotation devices.

Jasper

Well yeah, Meyers didn't mastermind it or anything, but she's obviously played a large role in helping the law pass.

Jenne

:lulz:

And yeah, she's a MORMON, and it was their infusion of cash that tipped that whole campaign...but meh.  It's stalled in the courts, and the anti-Prop 8 people are really needing to get some gas in the engine to get it defeated.  When I go up north this weekend, I'll ask my formerly-SF-city attorney bro-in-law what's going on with the case.

Freeky

I liked Harry Potter better than Twilight.

This may be because I started reading them in elementary/middle school, and the writing was, you know, actually good.

Also, I agree with RWHN in that that is a bit of a leap in logic.

Jasper

HP was good enough to read, as fantasy goes.  Most fantasy is not "good enough to read", IMO.  I'm tired of dragons, and I'm tired of the power of love, and I'm tired of 'the Chosen One'.  So it says something that I actually read through all 7 HP books.

Nephew Twiddleton

Ironic, since what's his name (googling) Edward Cullen is probably the gayest vampire to have been written since Louis de Pointe du Lac.
I mean, c'mon. Sparkles? Is Meyer serious? Do Mormons even play around with vampire literature other than this? It's bad all around, but has she taken a step back and looked at her character, or his portrayal on film?

RWHN- it's not tenuous. Do you think every wealthy Mormon of note DIDN'T give to that? I mean how else could they have afforded all those cool lightning bolts to make you fear the homosexual assault on our deeply Christian society?

Maybe she didn't give, but I think that it is more probable than not that she did. I have my own religious beliefs and you can be damn sure that if I had some money, I'd be pumping it into causes that I believe in, religion involved or not.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

AFK

Quote from: Nephew Twiddleton on July 13, 2010, 07:42:59 PM
RWHN- it's not tenuous. Do you think every wealthy Mormon of note DIDN'T give to that? I mean how else could they have afforded all those cool lightning bolts to make you fear the homosexual assault on our deeply Christian society?

Maybe she didn't give, but I think that it is more probable than not that she did. I have my own religious beliefs and you can be damn sure that if I had some money, I'd be pumping it into causes that I believe in, religion involved or not.

Well what is laid out in the OP is that Stephanie Meyer, being a good Mormon, donated her 10% to the church, the church poured money into Prop 8.  While I'm sure her 10% was considerable, my guess is the church would have had more than enough wealth otherwise to contribute to the Prop 8 campaign.  So as I say, there is a link-pin, but there are probably millions of linkpins with all of the other Mormons who contribute their tithes to the church. 

LMNO

I think it would be better if someone used this as a stepping stone to directly ask Meyer regarding her thoughts on homosexuality and gay marriage, and then publicize that.

"Stephanie, how do you feel about the Mormon Church using part of your tithing to defeat Prop 8?" or something like that.

Jenne

Quote from: RWHN on July 13, 2010, 07:50:54 PM
Quote from: Nephew Twiddleton on July 13, 2010, 07:42:59 PM

Well what is laid out in the OP is that Stephanie Meyer, being a good Mormon, donated her 10% to the church, the church poured money into Prop 8.  While I'm sure her 10% was considerable, my guess is the church would have had more than enough wealth otherwise to contribute to the Prop 8 campaign. So as I say, there is a link-pin, but there are probably millions of linkpins with all of the other Mormons who contribute their tithes to the church.

Yup, and to that I say:  FUCK THEM ALL