News:

What about those weed gangsters that are mad about you giving speeches in Bumfuck, Maine?

Main Menu

Child exploitation

Started by Mesozoic Mister Nigel, May 24, 2015, 10:06:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on May 24, 2015, 10:06:47 PM
We really need laws that prohibit the exploitation of children as performers. Just as there's no good reason to have underage children working in our factories, there is no good reason to have them working on our stages.

No more Home Alone movies?

SHIT
Molon Lube

Q. G. Pennyworth

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on May 25, 2015, 04:52:32 AM
Quote from: Dubya on May 25, 2015, 04:44:35 AM
The pageants are ew. Completely banning child actors would render a good chunk of media unwatchable... Hm, maybe not a bad thing.

I know if my kid wanted to act, Id do my damnedest to squash that dream like a cockroach.

Let them act... in school plays, or in the backyard with their friends.

I just think it's hypocritical that we won't let children pick strawberries or make clothes for a paycheck, but for some reason there are zero holds barred when it comes to Hollywood.

As far as children's television programming... maybe TV doesn't need to be for children.

But kids can pick strawberries for a paycheck. Some of the exceptions to child labor laws are specifically for the farm industry. And Hollywood isn't zero holds barred, it's just such a goddamned nightmare for adults that even the lowered bar of insanity that kids are allowed to experience is still pretty fucked.

Honestly, I think the music industry is far worse for kids than Hollywood. There's no goddamned reason to have pre-pubescent anythings going on tour to promote sales for an album. Also, holy crap sexualization of minors in the music industry.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

OK, point taken: children over the age of 12 can work in agriculture with their parents' permission, outside of school hours. The same is true of working in family businesses such as restaurants.

http://nfwm.org/education-center/farm-worker-issues/children-in-the-fields/

That is still vastly more restriction than is placed on children serving as entertainment.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Doktor Howl on May 25, 2015, 07:54:16 AM
Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on May 24, 2015, 10:06:47 PM
We really need laws that prohibit the exploitation of children as performers. Just as there's no good reason to have underage children working in our factories, there is no good reason to have them working on our stages.

No more Home Alone movies?

SHIT

IT'S A TERRIBLE THOUGHT!

Do you think this one is ready for prime time? Thinking about posting it in some parenting groups and seeing if I can get support.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

The Johnny

But how can i pay for the overhead of this baby if i dont make it dance? Worst investment ever.
<<My image in some places, is of a monster of some kind who wants to pull a string and manipulate people. Nothing could be further from the truth. People are manipulated; I just want them to be manipulated more effectively.>>

-B.F. Skinner

Roly Poly Oly-Garch

What about child-shaming videos? Those aren't technically entertainment. They're shining examples of parents getting this discipline thing right...at least according to the disgusting shit that comes across my FB feed on the daily.
Back to the fecal matter in the pool

Meunster

I don't think it should be outright banned, but there should be guide lines. Like no practicing for more than 40 hours a week or something.
Poe's law ;)

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: NoLeDeMiel on May 26, 2015, 01:17:18 AM
What about child-shaming videos? Those aren't technically entertainment. They're shining examples of parents getting this discipline thing right...at least according to the disgusting shit that comes across my FB feed on the daily.

That, in my opinion, is flat-out bullying... which when it comes from the parents is child abuse.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Meunster on May 26, 2015, 01:23:32 AM
I don't think it should be outright banned, but there should be guide lines. Like no practicing for more than 40 hours a week or something.

No overtime for tots?

40 hours is an adult work week...

Roly Poly Oly-Garch

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on May 26, 2015, 01:37:35 AM
Quote from: Meunster on May 26, 2015, 01:23:32 AM

No overtime for tots?

40 hours is an adult work week...

Hollywood actually has some fairly significant restrictions on when and how often child actors can work. The labor side of it probably has the least potential for harm, though. It's the fame and money that really packs the punch, I think.

...And yes to the mommy groups with this. And how!

Also, related:

http://www.amazon.com/Dark-Sparkler-Amber-Tamblyn/dp/0062348167

This woman wrote a book of poetry about female actresses who died young. The author was a child actress herself. This one's about Brittany Murphy:

QuoteABOUT THE BODY
In the shower,
her body dies like a spiders.
The blooming flower
seeds a cemetery.
A pill lodges in the inner pocket of her flesh coat.
Her breasts were the gifts of ghosts.
Dark tarps of success.
Her mouth dribbles over
onto the bathroom floor.
Pollack blood.
The body is removed off the red carpet,
put in a black bag,
taken to the Mother's screams
for identification.
The Country says good things
about the body.
They print the best photos;
the least bones, the most peach.
Candles are lit in the glint
of every glam.  Every magazine stand
does the Southern Bell curtsy in her post-box office bomb honor.
The autopsy finds an easy answer.
They say good things about the body.
How bold her eyes were, bigger than Hepburn's.
The way she could turn into her camera close-up
like life depended on her.

She did one about Lindsey Lohan, too. A blank page. She talked about it in an interview. Asked, correctly IMO, if Lindsey Lohan was really doing anything that out of character for a woman in her late teens and early 20's...and how much different that experience would be, for any of us that had it, had those same messy choices been amplified to the degree that hers were by a tabloid society hungry to consume its idols.
Back to the fecal matter in the pool

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Ooooh, that's good! Dark.