News:

So essentially, the enemy of my enemy is not my friend, he's just another moronic, entitled turd in the bucket.

Main Menu

Open Bar: Funnier Than White People Practicing Voodoo

Started by The Good Reverend Roger, June 09, 2014, 03:18:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

minuspace

My computer may have just turned into a paperweight...

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: The Suu on July 26, 2014, 10:50:20 AM
My cousin is pregnant with twins.
MY COUSIN IS PREGNANT WITH TWINS.
TWINS. THAT'S TWO BABY BLANKETS I GET TO CROCHET.

OMG.

I'M GOING TO BE 2ND COUSIN SUU TIMES TWO!

Awww!  :)
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

There seems to be a large marching band in my neighborhood for no apparent reason.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Roly Poly Oly-Garch

Quote from: The Right Reverend Nigel on July 26, 2014, 06:57:54 PM
There seems to be a large marching band in my neighborhood for no apparent reason.

There's a high school that practices down my street pretty regular.

Also, those people that did the unfortunate performance down on MLK, were talking about putting together a marching band for some spectacle they were wanting to put on.

Also, there's that marching band for a cause group that sometimes march against fluoride.

Also, also, also, it occurs to me that just off the top of my head I was able to name 3 totally plausible explanations for a random marching band in your neighborhood on a Saturday afternoon. That's...unexpected.

Back to the fecal matter in the pool

Cardinal Pizza Deliverance.

Quote from: NoLeDeMiel on July 27, 2014, 03:18:11 AM

Also, those people that did the unfortunate performance down on MLK, were talking about putting together a marching band for some spectacle they were wanting to put on.

Also, there's that marching band for a cause group that sometimes march against fluoride.

Also, also, also, it occurs to me that just off the top of my head I was able to name 3 totally plausible explanations for a random marching band in your neighborhood on a Saturday afternoon. That's...unexpected.

My first thought was 'quinceanera' but I'm not sure why.
Weevil-Infested Badfun Wrongsex Referee From The 9th Earth
Slick and Deranged Wombat of Manhood Questioning
Hulking Dormouse of Lust and DESPAIR™
Gatling Geyser of Rainbow AIDS

"The only way we can ever change anything is to look in the mirror and find no enemy." - Akala  'Find No Enemy'.

minuspace

So I was looking for something interesting and was totally nonplussed by the "terrible danger" posed by Roko's Basilisk.  Essentially, it's just a re-wording of Pascal's wager:
                    God exists (G)        God does not exist (¬G)
Belief (B)    +∞ (infinite gain)         −1 (finite loss)
Disbelief (¬B)   −∞ (infinite loss)    +1 (finite gain)

Replace "God exists" with "RB will have existed".

Reverse the wager and replace RB with Flying Spag Monster.

Let go and have fun.

Cardinal Pizza Deliverance.

Tuesday is biopsy and pap day.

Getting all my pants-shitting done now, out of courtesy to the doctor.

I mean, I'm going to get cancer at some point. It's in both sides of my family in really fun ways, right there with insanity, exploding hearts, and alcoholism. Probably something to do with well-water and strip-mining/fracking. >.>

Then again, I'm sure everything is fine. It's just the bad break-up (and ex that won't leave me alone) and working every god damn day and packing up my shit and arranging a move that's making this seem awful, right?

That's totally it.
Weevil-Infested Badfun Wrongsex Referee From The 9th Earth
Slick and Deranged Wombat of Manhood Questioning
Hulking Dormouse of Lust and DESPAIR™
Gatling Geyser of Rainbow AIDS

"The only way we can ever change anything is to look in the mirror and find no enemy." - Akala  'Find No Enemy'.

Cain

Quote from: LuciferX on July 27, 2014, 11:47:04 PM
totally nonplussed by the "terrible danger" posed by Roko's Basilisk

How well do you understand timeless decision theory?

It's a rather critical aspect of why Roko's Basilisk is considered such a dangerous line of thought.  Without that knowledge, it would seem little more than Pascal's Wager.

minuspace

Quote from: Cain on July 28, 2014, 09:03:34 AM

It's a rather critical aspect of why Roko's Basilisk is considered such a dangerous line of thought.  Without that knowledge, it would seem little more than Pascal's Wager.

Without getting mired by details, the "timelessness" of TDT is here understood as the inevitability of a singularity.  Isomorphically, the existence of god, on the other, left-hand side, is the condition on the possibility of being able to choose in the first place.  Either way, you are subject to the slave-thought of linear causality.  I don't care what box you choose, just don't cut yourself with that blade :lulz:

hirley0

So S. Shirley i practice VAdo
What it details is the old medical method of Bleeding
A method that when i was in high school
i had my reservations about | yeah & VAdo too.
Anyway bleeding
Requires the removal of A scab to let the blood out
THE "removal of A scab to let some blood out"
Requires V, very tricky do. Do you see? Sometimes finger nails work best
other time the don't | So other means R Required

Quote from: Cardinal Pizza Deliverance. on July 28, 2014, 04:33:36 AM
Tuesday is biopsy and pap day.

Getting all my pants-shitting done now, out of courtesy to the doctor.

I mean, I'm going to get cancer at some point. It's in both sides of my family in really fun ways, right there with insanity, exploding hearts, and alcoholism. Probably something to do with well-water and strip-mining/fracking. >.>

Then again, I'm sure everything is fine. It's just the bad break-up (and ex that won't leave me alone) and working every god damn day and packing up my shit and arranging a move that's making this seem awful, right?

That's totally it.

See the next posi'

Junkenstein

Quote from: Cain on July 28, 2014, 09:03:34 AM

I hadn't come across TDT or the Basilik prior to this so I've been googling about.

Question - Should I be more critical than I currently am of LW/associated things? 
Reasons for question -
http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Roko's_basilisk
(Pretty critical of LW/ EY throughout for what appears to be good reason)
http://lesswrong.com/lw/ds4/article_about_lw_faith_hope_and_singularity/
Last comment in particular(seems substantiated):
QuoteThe article is obviously embarrassing to E.Y. If he didn't want to see this essay's Google rating improve, it wasn't about some general principle regarding "trolling." That's a pretty pathetic attempt at an excuse. It was something about this article. But what? Everyone thinks it's the "moral" aspect. That may be part of his worry: if so, it suggests that the SIAI/Less Wrong complex has a structure of levels--like say, Scientology--where the behavior of the more "conscious" is hidden from less-conscious followers.

But let me point out a specific revelation, not so prominent in the article but really more important for assessing SIAI and LW.

The messianic Mr. Yudkowsky also helped attract funding from his friend Peter Thiel, an early Facebook investor and noted libertarian billionaire whom Forbes pegs as the 303rd richest person in America. The Thiel Foundation, Mr. Thiel's philanthropic group, has donated at least $1.1 million to SIAI, more than four times its next largest donor. (The nonprofit's Form 990 from 2010 shows assets of $462,470.)

How do more leftwing members of the SIAI establishment feel about building an organization funded by (to realists, read "controlled by") an ultrarightwing billionaire? (It raises questions like is the "politics is mindkiller" trope in place to avoid alienating Mr. Thiel, who would be unimpressed by the anti-libertarianism of a considerable minority on LW.)

E.Y. has built a mystique about himself. Here's this self-schooled prodigy who has somehow managed to build a massive rationalist community and to preside over a half-million dollar nonprofit, living the good life of working only 4 hours per day (per LukeProg) and in that time, performing only tasks he likes to do, while being paid handsomely? It's a success story that's impressive. Even if you don't think E.Y. is a great philosopher, you have to admire him (at least the way Arnold Schwartzeneger once said he admired Hitler). It does the Yudkowsky myth no service to learn that he had the help of a billionaire, who almost singlehandedly funded his operations. If I've puzzled for years about the secret of E.Y. success, now I know it. He has a billionaire friend.

Caveat Unlike many others here, I don't like that there are billionaires. They've made a mockery of American politics, and their whimsical "charitable" support to intellectual factions will make a mockery of American intellectual life.

That funding angle alone is enough to make me seriously question their integrity. I hadn't seen/heard anything about this previously so if it's  an open secret that's fine. I would have just expected them to be somewhat more open about where the cash is coming from if this is the case.

It also makes the HMPOR pleas for a holiday home for a month look really, really bad.
Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

Junkenstein

It's not looking better the more I see:
http://betabeat.com/2012/07/singularity-institute-less-wrong-peter-thiel-eliezer-yudkowsky-ray-kurzweil-harry-potter-methods-of-rationality/?show=all

QuoteEden is not his given last name. He and Divia, who was also part of the Less Wrong meetup group, made up a new one at their wedding this year, which was officiated by Mr. Yudkowsky. One source described the couple as the "JFK and Jackie O. of the Singularity," though the comparison would be more apt if Camelot were a hippe commune on the Pacific Coast.
For a time, the Edens lived with Patri Friedman—the grandson of economist Milton Friedman and a friend of Mr. Thiel—and his wife in a co-housing situation that they dubbed Tortuga. (Mr. Thiel has also invested in the Seasteading Institute, Mr. Friedman's attempt to erect a new kind of government atop a bunch of oil rigs in international waters.)
The foursome's adventure was well documented on Shannon Friedman's LiveJournal, although all have since have moved out. After her separation from Mr. Friedman last August, Shannon has been dating Mr. Yudkowsky, though not exclusively. "I am now down to only three boyfriends ;)" she wrote on her blog in March. "They're all very casual. Adam describes my relationship with Eliezer as two eight-year-olds on a playground. We banter and play and hot tub."
Incidentally, Ms. Friedman also offers life-coaching services under the same brand as the Edens.

All the hallmarks of a bullshit scam with a new face.
Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

minuspace

TY Junk -  going to check-out the above - I am starting to feel like maybe I didn't really give the problem enough thought (maybe it's because deep down, I'm a belieber :lol:)

Nephew Twiddleton

Just got home. 4 day weekend was longer than expected, upon return to Boston. Pictures later.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: NoLeDeMiel on July 27, 2014, 03:18:11 AM

One of us. One of us.