Unlimited How Not to Be a Fat Fucky Bastard thread: now 100% more fat free

Started by Doktor Howl, April 16, 2010, 06:12:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Hoopla on May 29, 2015, 07:03:42 PM
First fat bastard thread is stickied in Discordian Recipes.

Oh well.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Dubya

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on May 29, 2015, 07:06:38 PM
I walk about 4-5 miles daily when I'm attending classes, because the campus is ridiculously huge. One of the science buildings is over a mile away from the other two. And of course, I have to get there to begin with.

But I'm also fighting that uphill battle of  "Oh, you're over 40? TIME FOR THE OL METABOLISM TO SLOW DOWN SOME MORE". Which is fine, really, but it also means that dropping a few pounds isn't the cakewalk it was after having my kids.

:lulz:
Yeah, I hear that. Twenty years ago, the kind of workout I get on a daily basis would have had me looking like a bodybuilder. Now, itll plateau soon and Ill get stronger and tougher, but still be 15-20 lbs overweight.
"Gold Medalist of the 2015 David Cameron Memorial Barnyard Olympics."

hooplala

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on May 29, 2015, 07:06:54 PM

Oh well.

Just in case you were looking for it. 😉
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Hoopla on May 29, 2015, 07:49:46 PM
Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on May 29, 2015, 07:06:54 PM

Oh well.

Just in case you were looking for it. 😉

I was, earlier today, but it didn't pop up in a search and then I gave up.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Dubya on May 29, 2015, 07:36:58 PM
Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on May 29, 2015, 07:06:38 PM
I walk about 4-5 miles daily when I'm attending classes, because the campus is ridiculously huge. One of the science buildings is over a mile away from the other two. And of course, I have to get there to begin with.

But I'm also fighting that uphill battle of  "Oh, you're over 40? TIME FOR THE OL METABOLISM TO SLOW DOWN SOME MORE". Which is fine, really, but it also means that dropping a few pounds isn't the cakewalk it was after having my kids.

:lulz:
Yeah, I hear that. Twenty years ago, the kind of workout I get on a daily basis would have had me looking like a bodybuilder. Now, itll plateau soon and Ill get stronger and tougher, but still be 15-20 lbs overweight.

When I lose enough that it doesn't kill my knees, I'll start running again, which should help with the last ten pounds.

Doktor Howl

I've managed to carve 4 inches off of my gut while my waist stayed the same, and I went from 265 pounds to 271.

How, you may ask?

Easy.  I hired an expert torturer.
Molon Lube

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Doktor Howl on May 30, 2015, 07:08:12 AM
I've managed to carve 4 inches off of my gut while my waist stayed the same, and I went from 265 pounds to 271.

How, you may ask?

Do you mean...

...a personal trainer?

Those people are MONSTERS.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on May 30, 2015, 07:55:15 AM

How, you may ask?

Do you mean...

...a personal trainer?

They're like physical therapists that don't have to be careful.  It's like finding out that your surgeon is on crack, or the pilot is huffing paint in the cockpit.  He just smiles while he doles out the pain, like maybe a Gestapo interrogator on valium that doesn't really want answers, he just wants to ask loads of questions.
Molon Lube

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Doktor Howl on May 30, 2015, 07:57:48 AM

How, you may ask?

Do you mean...

...a personal trainer?

They're like physical therapists that don't have to be careful.  It's like finding out that your surgeon is on crack, or the pilot is huffing paint in the cockpit.  He just smiles while he doles out the pain, like maybe a Gestapo interrogator on valium that doesn't really want answers, he just wants to ask loads of questions.

I remember the time I tried to fire my personal trainer.

HOLY SHIT I almost had to get a restraining order. That woman was relentless.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on May 30, 2015, 08:12:00 AM

How, you may ask?

Do you mean...

...a personal trainer?

I ain't gonna fire Gary, on account of two reasons.

1.  He's more than likely going to be my new boss, and

2.  It works.  It's horrible and awful, but it works.
Molon Lube

Cainad (dec.)

Quote from: Doktor Howl on May 30, 2015, 08:13:37 AM

How, you may ask?

Do you mean...

...a personal trainer?

I think I've taken to liking intense exercise because it's one of the few areas in life where working harder and going through hell is actually pretty much guaranteed to get results (barring, like, malnutrition or overtraining).

Reginald Ret

Quote from: Cainad (dec.) on June 02, 2015, 02:47:45 PM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on May 30, 2015, 08:13:37 AM

How, you may ask?

Do you mean...

...a personal trainer?

I think I've taken to liking intense exercise because it's one of the few areas in life where working harder and going through hell is actually pretty much guaranteed to get results (barring, like, malnutrition or overtraining).
huh, I was thinking the exact opposite with the same reasoning.
That was in the specific case of an exercise bike-machine-thing1 though, not so general.
My idea was that exercise bikes are depressing because the resistance is not dependent on your previous effort, so there is no equivalent to sprinting to the top of the hill so you can coast for a while. The effort/reward relationship is all wrong. This is based on my assumption on how those exercise machines work and that has no basis in experience with said machines. So I'm probably full of shit again.

How DO those things work anyway?
Is resistance straight friction based, is there some level of simulation in them? I can imagine a version with resistance based on some kind of friction-limited flywheel that could get pretty close to reality.

1 Can you tell I haven't been in a gym since I was a kid?
Lord Byron: "Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves."

Nigel saying the wisest words ever uttered: "It's just a suffix."

"The worst forum ever" "The most mediocre forum on the internet" "The dumbest forum on the internet" "The most retarded forum on the internet" "The lamest forum on the internet" "The coolest forum on the internet"

Cainad (dec.)

The logical fallacy you're making there lies in the fact that you spent all that time thinking about the effort-reward relationship of a machine instead of doing push-ups.

Reginald Ret

Quote from: Cainad (dec.) on June 02, 2015, 03:54:23 PM
The logical fallacy you're making there lies in the fact that you spent all that time thinking about the effort-reward relationship of a machine instead of doing push-ups.
:lol:
Lord Byron: "Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves."

Nigel saying the wisest words ever uttered: "It's just a suffix."

"The worst forum ever" "The most mediocre forum on the internet" "The dumbest forum on the internet" "The most retarded forum on the internet" "The lamest forum on the internet" "The coolest forum on the internet"

Dubya

They do make exercise bikes now that can vary the resistance to simulate hills.

But in the end, you're still impersonating a hamster.  :lulz:
"Gold Medalist of the 2015 David Cameron Memorial Barnyard Olympics."