News:

PD.com: Like a fraternity of drunken clowns, hopped up on goofballs, beating one-another to a bloody pulp with bricks; the maniacal laughter increases exponentially as someone runs off to get a cinder-block.

Main Menu

Academia Ghetto Thread

Started by Mesozoic Mister Nigel, September 05, 2014, 05:51:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Thamks, RR. I got nine hours of sleep and feel a little less frazzled.

Dog is still hanging in. I woke up to a friend pressuring me to have the dog euthanized. Thing is, I've thought about that, but I feel like it would be more for my convenience than his comfort.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Cain

If he's not in distress or pain, it's the decent thing to do.  I mean, that's what putting animals down is for.  Not because they're being a pain in the arse (though we should allow that for children).

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Yeah, he doesn't seem to be in pain. The only thing that's bumming me out right now is that he won't go in his doghouse and I think it might rain.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

minuspace

Quote from: Cainad (dec.) on May 20, 2015, 04:26:26 AM
Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on May 20, 2015, 03:59:09 AM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on May 20, 2015, 03:51:43 AM
Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on May 20, 2015, 03:45:51 AM
Speaking of procrastination, I went and saw this lady speak last week: http://thecolbertreport.cc.com/videos/fykny6/patricia-churchland

Oh, she's GOOD.

She really, REALLY is. Someone asked her whether she was concerned that neuroscience was sucking the mystery out of life, and she just cocked her head and said, kind of wistfully, "You know, people ask about the mystery and I think about all the people I've known with schizophrenia, Alzheimer's, Huntington's Disease, Parkinson's, muscular dystrophy, bipolar disorder... what were you saying about 'mystery'?"

Hear, hear!

People who think the mystery of life can be dispelled by learning things are either pitiably misguided or have incredibly small imaginations.

Imagine all of human knowledge as a big sphere, and the outer edge of that sphere is mystery. When you expand human knowledge, you push the surface of that sphere further outward. This increases the surface area of the sphere, thereby increasing the total amount of mystery.

You can pretend I'm smoking a clove cigarette and sipping a latte while I say the above statement.

Swans Commentary » swans.comDecember 31, 2014  

Perspectives: A Review of 2014

"Lanterninosofia" the Philosophy of Small Lanterns

by Guido Monte

Multilingual Poetry

Translation by Adele Ward

Verses inspired by "Lanterninosofia" and "Non conclude" ("it does not end") by Pirandello

(Swans - December 31, 2014)  

darkness doesn't exist?
we people feel alive,
a feeling like a small lamp
which lights us up inside; the moment
our last breath arrives,
and the perpetual night of being is here
for us, burnt out and remote fireflies
in the darkness of time.

the small lamps have so many colours
and a common colour for each age;
red was the great lantern of pagan virtue,
violet, that of christian virtue.
because of this, many still get from the church
oil for their small lanterns.
but sometimes the wind
even puts out large lanterns.
and then the small lanterns swing around.
they turn back or cry
like abandoned ants, like nowadays.
darkness and confusion,
with the large lanterns extinguished!

in its own way the small lantern shows us
only shadows of strange ghosts,
at which we can be frightened or laugh.
but what if even darkness is a trick?
and if the lantern going out
is only a way to re-enter
the eternal stream of being,
into a life that is universal
and without an end
to everything?

in the flow you no longer have a name;
"names are for the dead,
who have finished".
the ones who live are the tree,
new leaves, a cloud, a book, the wind,
all the fresh things from dawn,
clouds mountains air sky.
blades of grass, a donkey, assorted fields:
you are reborn every moment in things.
the sound of bells: instant death
to be reborn again, without memories;
alive, no longer inside yourself,v but "all on the outside",
in the outside of things.

Adele Ward is a poet, novelist, and co-owner of Ward Wood Publishing in London.

· · · · · ·

Care about Guido's work? Then please consider a donation. Thank you.

· · · · · ·

Legalese.
This material is copyrighted, © Guido Monte 2014. All rights reserved

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

If you scroll down to page 5, there is an interview with yours truly in this month's University family newsletter: https://www.pdx.edu/family/sites/www.pdx.edu.family/files/May_2015_Final.pdf

Freeky

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on May 24, 2015, 08:03:12 PM
If you scroll down to page 5, there is an interview with yours truly in this month's University family newsletter: https://www.pdx.edu/family/sites/www.pdx.edu.family/files/May_2015_Final.pdf

Fancy!  I wish I were half as eloquent as you.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

OK, so I got into the McNair program. This is good because it means that next summer they will pay for me to do a research project. Doubly good because it means I'll have a job next summer! Triply good because apparently WSU has a special application process for McNair Scholars.

Basically this means that I will very likely have 2 bona fide neuroendocrinology publications by the end of next year.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on June 01, 2015, 03:20:16 AM
OK, so I got into the McNair program. This is good because it means that next summer they will pay for me to do a research project. Doubly good because it means I'll have a job next summer! Triply good because apparently WSU has a special application process for McNair Scholars.

Basically this means that I will very likely have 2 bona fide neuroendocrinology publications by the end of next year.

:banana:

It's a crime against science that you couldn't have done all this 25 years ago.
Molon Lube

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Doktor Howl on June 01, 2015, 03:50:55 AM
Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on June 01, 2015, 03:20:16 AM

:banana:

It's a crime against science that you couldn't have done all this 25 years ago.

I've had that  thought as well.

Cainad (dec.)

You're just 20 years weirder than all the young pups, that's all.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Cainad (dec.) on June 02, 2015, 02:50:54 PM
You're just 20 years weirder than all the young pups, that's all.

:lulz: Thanks!

I am kind of hitting a wall, here. I have eight days of finals left, plus grading. I need to:

Give a presentation at 2pm today (I should be working on that right now)
Read the chapter on memory and learning
Read the chapter on mitosis
Write a five-page paper on using metagenomic analysis in investigating the interconnection between microbiome and CNS
Review all the slides from Cell Bio

I just feel stuck. I know I'll get through it, I always get through it. But I really am having a hard time with the workload and am wondering how I'm going to make it through Fall. Not to mention how I'm going to finish my Honors thesis and all the classes I need to take AND do McNair. It's too many things.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I probably wouldn't feel like this if I wasn't also doing the TA thing. I think that's a big contributor to how fucked I feel right now.

Reginald Ret

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on June 03, 2015, 06:45:37 PM
I probably wouldn't feel like this if I wasn't also doing the TA thing. I think that's a big contributor to how fucked I feel right now.
awww :(

Good luck, I hope you feel better soon.
Lord Byron: "Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves."

Nigel saying the wisest words ever uttered: "It's just a suffix."

"The worst forum ever" "The most mediocre forum on the internet" "The dumbest forum on the internet" "The most retarded forum on the internet" "The lamest forum on the internet" "The coolest forum on the internet"

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Reginald Ret on June 03, 2015, 11:01:41 PM
Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on June 03, 2015, 06:45:37 PM
awww :(

Good luck, I hope you feel better soon.

Thank you!

I gave my last presentation today. I also realized that my 5-page paper is already more than half done and won't be a big deal to wrap up this weekend.

I still have a ton of work to do but most of it is pretty focused, so that's a good thing.

I'm still kind of a wreck but the end is near...