News:

PD.COM:  Mindlessly hitting the refresh button for weeks on end.

Main Menu

Ingress

Started by Cramulus, July 18, 2013, 04:46:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LMNO

Quote from: Your Mom on September 19, 2014, 05:52:59 PM
This morning, the Resistance took the water towers and the Whole Foods. The bourgeois scum seek to control XM completely, and keep it from the hands of the people, and our betterment. We are weak; our forces are not enough. Backed into our ghettoes, our territory diminishes hourly. A powerful Level 7 Smurf scum has taken the garden, and I, a lowly level 3, cannot long hold the dog park against him. Pym has vanished. I fear that soon I, too, shall perish.

I just got Lvl 4 today.  You probably know this, but you get about 100AP every time you hack a Resistance portal.  Just walking around and hacking can get you to level up that way.  But the Lvl 5 limit is 150k.  That's gonna take a while.

hooplala

"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on September 19, 2014, 05:53:36 PM
Quote from: Your Mom on September 19, 2014, 05:48:32 PM
Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on September 19, 2014, 11:45:22 AM
Yeah, a portal inside a larger field is pretty much useless, isn't it?

You can still link it to create sub-fields, which strengthens all of the connected portals and makes them harder to take over.

Ah.  Gotcha.

I'm trying to figure out how the system determines which portals you can link to.  I seem to be unable to choose at will.

Also, my workplace just got attacked pretty hard.  It's difficult to stay at my desk rather than run out defending my portals.  Guess I'm hooked.

I know, right?? I woke up with a screaming hangover, for which there is really only two good cures (sex or pho) and immediately jumped out of bed, leaving behind a perfectly good boyfriend, to defend my portals that were under attack.

Some tips on linking; you can't cross another link, you have to have the portal keys to both portals you wish to link, and the distance that can be linked is dependent on the level of the resonators on that portal. Portal keys are single-use. As such, I make it a habit (in all of my what, three days playing this?) to try to have portal keys for as many portals as I can at any given time, in case links get broken, so I can quickly repair them without running around to every portal in my neighborhood.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

LMNO

Ah, the not crossing thing was what was confusing me.  Yeah, I have tons of portal keys.  In a way, it's a good thing my block got hammered, because it broke all these wack-ass fields that had been building up.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on September 19, 2014, 05:55:08 PM
Quote from: Your Mom on September 19, 2014, 05:52:59 PM
This morning, the Resistance took the water towers and the Whole Foods. The bourgeois scum seek to control XM completely, and keep it from the hands of the people, and our betterment. We are weak; our forces are not enough. Backed into our ghettoes, our territory diminishes hourly. A powerful Level 7 Smurf scum has taken the garden, and I, a lowly level 3, cannot long hold the dog park against him. Pym has vanished. I fear that soon I, too, shall perish.

I just got Lvl 4 today.  You probably know this, but you get about 100AP every time you hack a Resistance portal.  Just walking around and hacking can get you to level up that way.  But the Lvl 5 limit is 150k.  That's gonna take a while.

I'm gonna level up today (when I go out for pho) attacking enemy portals, and then try to rebuild my neighborhood fields. I'll try to make some headway before Pym gets out of school.

YES I AM playing with a 14-year-old boy, WHY YOU LOOKIN AT ME LIKE THAT? :lol:
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

LMNO

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on September 19, 2014, 06:53:05 PM
Ah, the not crossing thing was what was confusing me.  Yeah, I have tons of portal keys.  In a way, it's a good thing my block got hammered, because it broke all these wack-ass fields that had been building up.

Yeah, the fact that territories are so transient really helps keep the game fun and challenging. Also the fact that lower levels can destroy higher level resonators if you just keep hammering away at them.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Higher levels can take out lower-level resonators like butter with a hot knife, though. My current nemesis undid all my brand-new fully-linked portals in literally the time it took me to walk away from them.

LMNO

That's pretty much what I did during lunch.  There was one portal I wanted, so I basically just kept walking around the area, farming blasters and going back for another round. 

It's odd how attahed one gets to a portal.  I suppose this is sort of like virtual territorial pissing contests.

LMNO

What sort of mods do you use?

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on September 19, 2014, 07:00:49 PM
That's pretty much what I did during lunch.  There was one portal I wanted, so I basically just kept walking around the area, farming blasters and going back for another round. 

It's odd how attahed one gets to a portal.  I suppose this is sort of like virtual territorial pissing contests.

It totally is. I'm really attached to the dog park, because DOG PARK. I own the DOG PARK.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on September 19, 2014, 07:01:29 PM
What sort of mods do you use?

I like the heat sink, multi-hack, and shields. Also I don't know if you've figured out what power cubes do yet, but if your XM is low you can go into your inventory and deploy one to boost it back up... very useful in prolonged attacks. I just figured that out this morning.

LMNO

Quote from: Your Mom on September 19, 2014, 07:01:58 PM
Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on September 19, 2014, 07:00:49 PM

It totally is. I'm really attached to the dog park, because DOG PARK. I own the DOG PARK.

What's a metaphor, again?

Eater of Clowns

Man this game sounds a lot more fun in big cities. I have one portal on my street, that I created, and the nearest ones are miles away.

Also, I hoard my portal keys. I have a half dozen or so from Colombia. I can look in on them from time to time and see how they're doing and look back on my trip.  :)
Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

Eater of Clowns

I mean shit, I OWNED A FERNANDO BOTERO PORTAL HOW RAD IS THAT.
Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.