PD.com - you don't even believe in nihilism anymore

Main Menu

My Day with a SJW

Started by LMNO, January 09, 2015, 08:13:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ben Shapiro

Cain

[tumblring intensifies]

Quote from: NigelOne thing that is a real problem is that our culture tends to assume that all problems are behavior-based, not situation-based; you see that reflected in the negative ways people talk about fat people on mobility scooters, apparently never stopping to think that if you're disabled by, say, degradative cartilage disease or one of the neuropathic disorders like MS, it can become extremely difficult to exercise. Another is that we use shame and belittling to try to change behaviors; that old punishment fetish in action!

While I understand a lot of the social issues around fat-shaming and can see why people would want to become activists around that issue, the problem I see is that most of the time, they simply adopt the enemy's language and start punishing those they perceive as the oppressors. Not only is that ineffective, but as we can see in the dynamic between the Hutu and the Tutsis, it can lead to very bad places with astonishing rapidity.

Not that I think fat people are going to start savagely slaughtering the thin, but you know what I mean.

Well, that's just it, isn't it?

I noted the person in question very quickly moved to "you're fat-shaming, you're wrong and evil" in that thread when they felt under attack.  It was an attempt to morally shame those she felt were shaming her, and punishing them by declaring them to be morally corrupt or suspect.

Given how these shaming techniques, when applied to fat people, clearly haven't worked on her to change her ways, why does she think that adopting the same methods in return will accomplish anything?  I know I keep saying this, but liberals and leftists are the most tactically dumb people on the planet.  If they held a war run by internet ideologues tomorrow, they'd parade up and down a street telling themselves they won and giving each other high fives for being so awesome.  They're rhetorically so weak in many cases they refuse to even engage in debate, believe debate is possible or that it should be desired.  Instead, they shame, bully, declare victory and retreat to a bubble of like-minded activists.

You'll notice how overwhelmingly successful this strategy has been in changing people's minds.

Also, I don't see fat people rising up to slaughter thin people, because they'll always be outrun.  Genocide's a fit person's game, you know, cult of physical health and all that.

hooplala

Most people seem to be under the impression that conservatism only exists in the right wing, but its denonstratively false: the left wing displays loads of consrvative traits... censorship, herd mentality, punishment fetishising, etc...
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

Ben Shapiro

Quote from: Cain on January 11, 2015, 04:15:08 AM
[tumblring intensifies]

Quote from: NigelOne thing that is a real problem is that our culture tends to assume that all problems are behavior-based, not situation-based; you see that reflected in the negative ways people talk about fat people on mobility scooters, apparently never stopping to think that if you're disabled by, say, degradative cartilage disease or one of the neuropathic disorders like MS, it can become extremely difficult to exercise. Another is that we use shame and belittling to try to change behaviors; that old punishment fetish in action!

While I understand a lot of the social issues around fat-shaming and can see why people would want to become activists around that issue, the problem I see is that most of the time, they simply adopt the enemy's language and start punishing those they perceive as the oppressors. Not only is that ineffective, but as we can see in the dynamic between the Hutu and the Tutsis, it can lead to very bad places with astonishing rapidity.

Not that I think fat people are going to start savagely slaughtering the thin, but you know what I mean.

I noted the person in question very quickly moved to "you're fat-shaming, you're wrong and evil" in that thread when they felt under attack.  It was an attempt to morally shame those she felt were shaming her, and punishing them by declaring them to be morally corrupt or suspect.

Given how these shaming techniques, when applied to fat people, clearly haven't worked on her to change her ways, why does she think that adopting the same methods in return will accomplish anything?  I know I keep saying this, but liberals and leftists are the most tactically dumb people on the planet.  If they held a war run by internet ideologues tomorrow, they'd parade up and down a street telling themselves they won and giving each other high fives for being so awesome.  They're rhetorically so weak in many cases they refuse to even engage in debate, believe debate is possible or that it should be desired.  Instead, they shame, bully, declare victory and retreat to a bubble of like-minded activists.

You'll notice how overwhelmingly successful this strategy has been in changing people's minds.

Also, I don't see fat people rising up to slaughter thin people, because they'll always be outrun.  Genocide's a fit person's game, you know, cult of physical health and all that.

I love you! Can I quote you on retardbook?

Ben Shapiro

Quote from: Hoopla on January 11, 2015, 05:06:23 AM
Most people seem to be under the impression that conservatism only exists in the right wing, but its denonstratively false: the left wing displays loads of consrvative traits... censorship, herd mentality, punishment fetishising, etc...

Idiotic green consumerism.

Chelagoras The Boulder

"It isn't who you know, it's who you know, if you know what I mean.  And I think you do."

Cain

Eater of Clowns

Looking forward to the follow up, My Day as a SJW

You won't do it.
Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

Cain

Quote from: Hoopla on January 11, 2015, 05:06:23 AM

You would think the history of the Soviet Union would be a prime case study of this in action.

But since ThoughtCatalog (I know, I know...) had an article up not very long ago advocating reeducation camps for those who abuse freedom of speech by promoting hate speech, I suspect not.  Although, I will admit that whole thing read like a parody of liberal thinking, complete with many references to the UN, the suggestion that the USA was worse than China and Saudi Arabia on human rights and conflation of hate speech with wartime propaganda and genocide.

Cain

Quote from: Eater of Clowns on January 11, 2015, 03:07:05 PM
Looking forward to the follow up, My Day as a SJW

You won't do it.

Sadly, lmno.tumblr.com is not free for the taking.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Cain on January 11, 2015, 04:15:08 AM
[tumblring intensifies]

That is exactly it, Cain. Spot on.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."