News:

PD.com: Like a fraternity of drunken clowns, hopped up on goofballs, beating one-another to a bloody pulp with bricks; the maniacal laughter increases exponentially as someone runs off to get a cinder-block.

Main Menu

What good books have you read recently?

Started by Fizzwitz Glorypoop, November 24, 2005, 09:12:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eldora, Oracle of Alchemy

I am reading one of the books Ellen Degeneres wrote.  I figured it would be a good read-a-few-minutes-before-I-go-to-bed kind of books, but there have been some really hilarious moments.  She gets distracted by shiny stuff, for instance  :lol:

Eldora, Oracle of Alchemy

The name of the book is The Funny Thing Is.  
Or let's say I am walking out of my house, and I've just had a banana.  I have my banana peel in one hand and my car keys in the other.  I throw my car keys in the trash and walk out with my banana peel.  The other day I found my iron in the freezer.  And the only reason I found it is that I was looking for my sunglasses.

I have days like this a lot.  I don't think I would ever find my iron in my freezer, only because I never use my iron.  

QuoteFeel better?  Good.  That's what I'm here for.  Now, if you'll excuse me, I seem to be only using 8% of my brain right now.  I'm going to go on alittle expedition to look for the other 2%.  If I'm not back in a couple of days, don't worry.  Something shiny must have distracted me.

Which leads me to my next question, which one of us is Ellen Degeneres  :lol:

The seer

Books on C++ coding mostly. But I'm a grown man and I've had a computers for the last 10 years I should have learnt before this.

Shibboleet The Annihilator

Quote from: Eldora, Oracle of AlchemyThe name of the book is The Funny Thing Is.  
Or let's say I am walking out of my house, and I've just had a banana.  I have my banana peel in one hand and my car keys in the other.  I throw my car keys in the trash and walk out with my banana peel.  The other day I found my iron in the freezer.  And the only reason I found it is that I was looking for my sunglasses.

I have days like this a lot.  I don't think I would ever find my iron in my freezer, only because I never use my iron.  

QuoteFeel better?  Good.  That's what I'm here for.  Now, if you'll excuse me, I seem to be only using 8% of my brain right now.  I'm going to go on alittle expedition to look for the other 2%.  If I'm not back in a couple of days, don't worry.  Something shiny must have distracted me.

Which leads me to my next question, which one of us is Ellen Degeneres  :lol:

HAHAHAHAHAHAH!1! I LOVE YOUR SENSE OF "HUMOR"!!1

slothrop23

Wind turbines.

I'm a big fan

Chlorine

I'm reading American Psycho right now. I found the movie to be hilarious; the book, however, not so much. The book is alot more serious, but I like it as much as I like the movie.

I can't really think of much else I have read. Four years ago the net swallowed me whole, I'm just now starting to re-emerge into the wonderful world of actually getting stuff done.

Rhythm Science by Paul D. Miller aka DJ Spooky

Schizzy

I've been reading Fantastic Voyage: Live Long Enough to Live Forever by Ray Kurzweil and Terry Grossman M.D..  It's about the science behind radical life extension.

Cain

The New Global Terrorism by Charles Kegley.  Admittedly, I boughgt it mostly because of my terrorism essay and because it is something I want to for my MA, but its actually a very concise, readable account of the history, stages, characteristics and causes of terrorism.  Like all academic books, it costs alot for what you get, in this case ¬£20 for ¬£280 pages.

Bella

I just cleaned under my bed and found a pile of books I've never read.
Guess I put them there and forgot where they were or something.

Anyway, I'm starting to read something called 'Dark Terror 5', and it's an anthology of horror stories by Tanith Lee, Kim Newman, Peter Straub, and lots of other people. So far it's great.
just like in a dream
you'll open your mouth to scream
and you won't make a sound

you can't believe your eyes
you can't believe your ears
you can't believe your friends
you can't believe you're here

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: She Who Lurks Beyond, Oracle of DoomI just cleaned under my bed and found a pile of books I've never read.
Guess I put them there and forgot where they were or something.

Anyway, I'm starting to read something called 'Dark Terror 5', and it's an anthology of horror stories by Tanith Lee, Kim Newman, Peter Straub, and lots of other people. So far it's great.

Peter Straub = Teh w1n.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Bella

I know. I think he's about my favorite ever.
Have you read The Throat?
If not, I highly recommend it.
Of course it's better if you read Mystery and Koko first.
just like in a dream

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: She Who Lurks Beyond, Oracle of DoomI know. I think he's about my favorite ever.
Have you read The Throat?
If not, I highly recommend it.
Of course it's better if you read Mystery and Koko first.

Um, I think we've had this conversation before.

August of 2004, if I recall correctly.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Bella

No wonder I was experiencing deja vu.
And here I thought it was just that I'm psychic.

Crap.
just like in a dream