News:

One day, I shall make the news feed. Then they'll see. Then they'll all see! Mwahahahaha!!!!

Main Menu

Roger/Waffle pointlessly pushing iron up in the air thread (warning: geekery)

Started by The Good Reverend Roger, August 26, 2014, 08:13:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Suu

Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

ñͤͣ̄ͦ̌̑͗͊͛͂͗ ̸̨̨̣̺̼̣̜͙͈͕̮̊̈́̈͂͛̽͊ͭ̓͆ͅé ̰̓̓́ͯ́́͞

I'd really like to do some weight training, but I can't afford a gym (assuming I can even get over my hangups from previously joining gyms) and I don't think my partner would still find me attractive if I did so. She's also said as much when I discussed said article with her.

With a buzz cut and my shirt off my roommate says I look like a cancer patient, and I tend to agree. When I look at myself naked in a full length mirror I can't stop laughing. I have enough trouble not being underweight for my height and I don't exactly want to have to eat even more than I already do. I guess I'll have to settle for appearing to be 10 years younger than I actually am until the wrinkles and grey hair set in, or I when I land a job that pays a living wage so I can actually get access to the necessary assortment of weights.

And no, it's not such a great thing to have people think I'm a naive 20 something when I'm applying for a job that requires some life experience. It actually kind of sucks to constantly hear "OH YUO LOOK SO YOUNG FOR UR AGE, HEE HEE HAW HAW!"  :tgrr:
P E R   A S P E R A   A D   A S T R A

Eater of Clowns

Interesting article, Net, thanks. I'd never really connected fitness types with socioeconomic status but it does make sense.

So if I'm both educated and perpetually broke, does that mean I can do poorly at both?  :lulz:
Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: N E T on September 03, 2014, 10:27:44 AM
I'd really like to do some weight training, but I can't afford a gym (assuming I can even get over my hangups from previously joining gyms) and I don't think my partner would still find me attractive if I did so. She's also said as much when I discussed said article with her.

With a buzz cut and my shirt off my roommate says I look like a cancer patient, and I tend to agree. When I look at myself naked in a full length mirror I can't stop laughing. I have enough trouble not being underweight for my height and I don't exactly want to have to eat even more than I already do. I guess I'll have to settle for appearing to be 10 years younger than I actually am until the wrinkles and grey hair set in, or I when I land a job that pays a living wage so I can actually get access to the necessary assortment of weights.

And no, it's not such a great thing to have people think I'm a naive 20 something when I'm applying for a job that requires some life experience. It actually kind of sucks to constantly hear "OH YUO LOOK SO YOUNG FOR UR AGE, HEE HEE HAW HAW!"  :tgrr:

My problem is that if I don't do something to get in shape and stay there, I'll be dead before I'm 55.  As I am nearly 46 now, you might understand my concern.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

The Good Reverend Roger

Also, I have found whey powder to be tasty.

This has made all the other folks at the gym look at me funny.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

EK WAFFLR

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on September 03, 2014, 07:42:34 PM

I like whey. My current batch is Chocolate fudge. It's sickeningly good.
"At first I lifted weights.  But then I asked myself, 'why not people?'  Now everyone runs for the fjord when they see me."

Horribly Oscillating Assbasket of Deliciousness
[/b]

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Allfader Waffles on September 04, 2014, 03:16:02 PM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on September 03, 2014, 07:42:34 PM

I like whey. My current batch is Chocolate fudge. It's sickeningly good.

That's what I'm using.

I am no longer crippled after upper body workouts.  I mean, I'm a bowl of floppy noodles walking out the door, but it's tolerable the next day.

But tomorrow is lower body hell.   :horrormirth:

rong

I was getting into a pretty good weight lifting routine this winter.  I work an 8 day rotating schedule, so it doesn't make sense for me to do like a M,W,F type thing.

Each workout I would do 3 sets of the following:

squats
dead lift
planks
leg raises (for abs)
bent over row
bench press
shrugs
shoulder raises
curls

I would follow this schedule:

day 1 - add a couple pounds and do 5 reps each set
day 2 - day off (I hate to say "rest")
day 3 - do 7 reps each set
day 4 - day off
day 5 - do 10 reps each set
day 6 - day off
day 7 - day off

by the time i get to 10 reps on everything, it's pretty difficult to finish a lot of the sets, but adding weight and starting over at 5 reps seems to keep me from hurting myself.

I work out at home so there's never a spotter around, so I try to keep from hurting myself.

I just got too busy with projects this summer to keep it up though - but, I can attest that putting in egress windows - digging the holes by hand and busting out the block with a sledgehammer - is quite a workout.  I also put a deck on my house - dug those holes by hand, too - post hole diggers are a great upper body workout.  Since I framed my deck with 6x6 posts and 2x10 joists with 2x12 rim joists, I got to muscle a bunch of lumber around, too.  I also helped my dad build a pole barn - that's about a thousand trips up and down a ladder, so I have been getting pretty good exercise.

One more egress window to put in my basement and I'll be getting back at the weight lifting, I think.  I kinda miss it and although I never felt like mush after my workouts, I always felt lighter and stronger and I was surprised at how much weight I was able to add to my workouts without hurting myself using this approach.

I was starting to feel like I was hitting a wall with weight, though - and was thinking I should maybe drop a little weight and do a few weeks of 10 reps without increasing the weight.

"a real smart feller, he felt smart"

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: rong on September 05, 2014, 03:31:18 PM

day 1 - add a couple pounds and do 5 reps each set
day 2 - day off (I hate to say "rest")

We use the term "recovery".

I want to play too, so I'm starting my poor person's weight training regimen.

So far it's been a backpack full of books with waist and chest straps on while doing a few sets of push ups and squats. Then I do some kettlebellish cleans, which work surprisingly well considering the bulkiness of the pack.

I'm starting with about 30 pounds of books, but I'm going to have to find something heavier to put in there because it's not quite enough.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: N E T on September 05, 2014, 06:58:58 PM

So far it's been a backpack full of books with waist and chest straps on while doing a few sets of push ups and squats. Then I do some kettlebellish cleans, which work surprisingly well considering the bulkiness of the pack.

I'm starting with about 30 pounds of books, but I'm going to have to find something heavier to put in there because it's not quite enough.

More reps with a low weight is a better way to start.  THEN raise the weight.

Also, dumbells are surprisingly cheap, and they can be used to work complimentary muscles so you don't wind up all lopsided.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on September 05, 2014, 07:01:14 PM

Also, dumbells are surprisingly cheap, and they can be used to work complimentary muscles so you don't wind up all lopsided.

I'll check it out. My roommate might split the cost with me.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: N E T on September 05, 2014, 07:06:15 PM

Yeah, a guy your size, you'd need a pair of the following sizes:  10 lb, 15 lb, 20 lb.  You should also have something resembling a bench, but it's not entirely necessary.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on September 05, 2014, 07:11:12 PM

Yeah, a guy your size, you'd need a pair of the following sizes:  10 lb, 15 lb, 20 lb.  You should also have something resembling a bench, but it's not entirely necessary.

Probably can jerry-rig something with some pallets and foam.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: N E T on September 05, 2014, 07:18:20 PM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on September 05, 2014, 07:11:12 PM

Probably can jerry-rig something with some pallets and foam.

What's important is that it be stable.