News:

Your innocence proves nothing.

Main Menu

Gitmo to close 2010

Started by Aufenthatt, January 22, 2010, 10:04:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aufenthatt

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/8476075.stm
Task force on the US prison camp at Guantanamo Bay has advised that 47 inmates should be held indefinitely without trial, officials say.

It is thought to be the first time that officials have given a figure for those who might be held without charge.

Some 35 prisoners have been recommended for prosecution through trials or military commissions.

The news came as the deadline US President Barack Obama had set himself for closing the prison camp passed.

The task force, led by the US justice department, recommended that while 35 people could be prosecuted, 110 could be released either now or at a later date, unnamed officials said.

The other nearly 50 detainees are considered too dangerous to release, but cannot be tried because the evidence against them is too flimsy or was extracted from them by coercion, so would not hold up in court.

'Dismay'

Congress has laid down that only those to be tried can be moved to US soil, so the question of what to do with those to be detained indefinitely without trial has yet to be resolved.

The BBC's Adam Brookes says the outcome will dismay civil liberties groups, and will also dismay many of Mr Obama's supporters who hoped the president would end the practice of detention without trial.

A White House official stressed that this was only a recommendation, which Mr Obama does not have to accept.

The task force's findings are subject to review by the National Security Council.

More than 40 detainees have been transferred out of the prison under the Obama administration.

But diplomatic hurdles and domestic opposition to the government's plan to house suspects on US soil have hampered his plans to close it down completely.

Plans to move detainees approved for trial to a prison facility in Illinois remain under consideration.

Yemen suspension

The task force recommended that among those cleared for release, 80 detainees, including about 30 Yemenis, could be freed immediately, the Washington Post said.

The panel said the release of another 30 Yemenis should be contingent on an improved situation in Yemen, the newspaper reported.

However, the US recently suspended the repatriation of Yemeni prisoners indefinitely, following an airliner bomb plot that was allegedly planned in Yemen.

Yemenis account for approximately half of the inmates at Guantanamo.

Mr Obama set himself the 22 January deadline a year ago, shortly after being sworn in.

He has subsequently said he wants the camp closed this year, without setting a specific deadline.

If these people are so obviously guilty that it would be retarded to let them go, how did the pentagon screw up so badly that they can't have a trial? I know they were stupid enough to think it was all going to go away, but you'd think they'd be experienced enough to cover their backs.

The US secret services are really going the same way the Royal navy did, cocky bastards.

The Good Reverend Roger

" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Requia ☣

From tfa you posted, at least some of those 50 are 'guilty' because they were tortured into a confession.  And of course nobody would ever lie to make torture stop.
Inflatable dolls are not recognized flotation devices.

Dysnomia

It's all fun and games, till someone gets herpes.

http://cdn.smosh.com/smosh-pit/122010/mow-the-lawn.gif

Aufenthatt

Quote from: Requia ☣ on January 23, 2010, 10:31:00 PM
And of course nobody would ever lie to make torture stop.

Yes, but they know that. They've let some of the people who have been tortured go.
Even with the assmonkeys in charge, these men weren't imprisoned at random.

My point isn't about the guilt or otherwise of the prisoners, its the obvious failure of the secret service.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Aufenthatt on January 24, 2010, 01:43:43 PM

Yes, but they know that. They've let some of the people who have been tortured go.

My point isn't about the guilt or otherwise of the prisoners, its the obvious failure of the secret service.

The secret service? 

And the fact that any were tortured means that we've lost any moral authority whatsoever.  Lastly, holding people forever without charge is unconstitutional unless we are being invaded or under rebellion, as per article I, sec 9 of the US Constitution.

There's plenty of guilt here...and maybe some of it belongs to the detainees.  But we'll never know, because we're going to hold them forever without a trial.  So we THINK they're guilty, but we KNOW we're guilty.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Aufenthatt

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on January 25, 2010, 04:56:51 PM

The secret service?  

Yeah, I can't be bothered to find out which agency did more in Gitmo, and I, like most people don't know the name of the organisation running the ghost prisons.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Aufenthatt on January 25, 2010, 06:50:49 PM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on January 25, 2010, 04:56:51 PM

The secret service?  

Yeah, I can't be bothered to find out which agency did more in Gitmo, and I, like most people don't know the name of the organisation running the ghost prisons.

Yeah, it's good to be informed on these things.

:lulz:

Cain

I can't wait for the day President Palin utters the immortal words "this car thief is too difficult to prosecute, but too dangerous to release".

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Cain on January 25, 2010, 08:11:52 PM
I can't wait for the day President Palin utters the immortal words "this car thief dangerous leftist radical history teacher is too difficult to prosecute, but too dangerous to release".

Fixed for more probable results.

I'm already starting to hear - admittedly from the more fringe elements on political boards - how we need an autocrat to "clean this country up".

Cain

Yeah.  But eventually it will trickle-down.

And that doesn't surprise me at all.  I can half see the temptation myself, though history makes me realize that sort of "solution" quickly gets wildly out of hand and hard to stop.

The Good Reverend Roger

Trickle down from a history teacher?

Cain

Yeah, that was badly phrased.  From the point of view of your average movement conservative I can easily see them supporting that first, and then moving on to generalized use of it against anyone.  Which is more what I meant.  I think.  Its been a long day.

Dysfunctional Cunt

Aufenthatt

QuoteBoth Governor Quinn and Senator Durbin praised the opportunity for job creation in the struggling rural Illinois economy.

:x

Quote from: Chrissy of St. Kilda
The American governement is really dumb. Do you think the Muslims would look after American prisoners? No, they would execute them & make a video of it. The American government needs to stop wasting their tax payers money & stop moddy-cuddling these murderers.

Illigal American Prisons - a big cuddle from uncle sam