News:

It is better to set off a nuclear bomb, than to sit and curse the dark.

Main Menu

Ladder/Raft, or, Read The Book, Then Burn It

Started by NWC, December 13, 2010, 08:37:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phox

Quote from: Rev. What's-His-Name? on December 15, 2010, 01:18:23 PM
For me, the PD was something of a catalyst.  That is, when I read it, it wasn't really one of those "Eureka" moments.  It sort of brought together a lot of thoughts and philosophies I already had, but hadn't quite pieced together.  It was like, I realized I was always a Discordian.  I just hadn't ever had a proper title for it.  It crystallized for me so many of the reasons I left the Christian faith of my youth for a more expansive, self-regulated and self-determined religion/spirituality. 

This. I do, however, have no qualms with stating that I am a Discordian. In fact, I need to print out some more pamphlets to hand out to those fundy Christian a-holes who always seem to think I need religion.  :lulz:

hooplala

Yeah, saying your're a Discordian to a Christian fundie, and then having to explain it, always makes for a much different religious conversation than it might standardly be.  It always seems to throw off all but the completely mind-numbed sort.
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

Cramulus

True! It's fun to watch their gears turn. They want to proselytize to you but they don't know where to start. Last time a Jehovah's Witness came to my door, they gave me an awkward "Uhh I never heard of that! I hope that works out for you!"

LMNO

Most religious people I talk about it with (not just xtians) usually try to play it off as, "oh, it's more of a philosophy."

As if that means it's somehow a lesser idea than a religion, or something.

AFK

Seems to me that the difference between religion and philosophy is that religions have mascots.  Otherwise, they're kind of trying to do the same thing.  Figure out and explain what all of this crap around us is all about. 
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

hooplala

Quote from: LMNO, PhD on December 15, 2010, 02:17:55 PM
Most religious people I talk about it with (not just xtians) usually try to play it off as, "oh, it's more of a philosophy."

When I am talking to a rabid christian, I tend to claim I actually believe in Eris as a genuine goddess... for kicks.  I'm a bad widdle boy.

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
— Walt Whitman

Phox

Quote from: Hoopla on December 15, 2010, 02:26:20 PM

When I am talking to a rabid christian, I tend to claim I actually believe in Eris as a genuine goddess... for kicks.  I'm a bad widdle boy.

Me too. Good spot o' fun, innit?  :lulz:

hooplala

Quote from: Doktor Phox on December 15, 2010, 07:03:03 PM

That it is indeed.

"Do I contradict myself?
— Walt Whitman

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Triple Zero on December 15, 2010, 12:52:55 PM
Quote from: Nigel on December 15, 2010, 04:42:55 AM
I am definitely still a Discordian after however many years it's been, and to me that means looking for new information and perspectives; constantly seeking to surprise myself and others.

Why am I not surprised?

:cry:
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Telarus

Quote from: Doktor Phox on December 15, 2010, 07:03:03 PM

Hahaha, me too. Well, I guess technically, I start to "believe it" while I have the discussion. I'm used to working in that model for certain things.
Telarus, KSC,
.__.  Keeper of the Contradictory Cephalopod, Zenarchist Swordsman,
(0o)  Tender to the Edible Zen Garden, Ratcheting Metallic Sex Doll of The End Times,
/||\   Episkopos of the Amorphous Dreams Cabal

Join the Doll Underground! Experience the Phantasmagorical Safari!

geekdad

For me, the PD was something of a catalyst.  That is, when I read it, it wasn't really one of those "Eureka" moments.  It sort of brought together a lot of thoughts and philosophies I already had, but hadn't quite pieced together.  It was like, I realized I was always a Discordian.  I just hadn't ever had a proper title for it.  It crystallized for me so many of the reasons I left the Christian faith of my youth for a more expansive, self-regulated and self-determined religion/spirituality. 

As for the book itself, it's been awhile since I've read it.  But there are parts that resonate with me in particular and I suspect they are the same passages that resonate with many of you.  Nonsense as Salvation, Sermon on Ethics and Love, the Sacred Chao (text)/Reality grids, and of course Greyface. 

I still think of myself as a Discordian.  I don't really go around telling other people I'm a Discordian.  I generally avoid the discussion of religion around friends and family as it doesn't seem to be a very fruitful discussion. 

Anyway, not sure where I'm going with this anymore so I'll stop right about here. 

This sums up my feelings and past exactly.

As far as philosopies as ladders analogy, I like it but don't think it quite fits.

There are times that instead of it being a ladder it's a compass, showing where to go. Each ideology or philosophy has a compass that points in different directions (with similar ones pointing to similer places). It depends on yourself to know what direction you want. If you go too far in one direction, then you pick up a different philosophy that points closer to the place you want to be.

Now that I've taken that analogy to the breaking point I'll also stop.
Making you think you're crazy is a billion dollar industry.
If they could sell sanity in a bottle
They'd be charging for compressed air,
And marketing healthcare.

flipdog

Quote from: geekdad on December 16, 2010, 04:50:05 AM

As for the book itself, it's been awhile since I've read it.  But there are parts that resonate with me in particular and I suspect they are the same passages that resonate with many of you.  Nonsense as Salvation, Sermon on Ethics and Love, the Sacred Chao (text)/Reality grids, and of course Greyface. 

I still think of myself as a Discordian.  I don't really go around telling other people I'm a Discordian.  I generally avoid the discussion of religion around friends and family as it doesn't seem to be a very fruitful discussion. 

Anyway, not sure where I'm going with this anymore so I'll stop right about here. 

This sums up my feelings and past exactly.

As far as philosopies as ladders analogy, I like it but don't think it quite fits.

There are times that instead of it being a ladder it's a compass, showing where to go. Each ideology or philosophy has a compass that points in different directions (with similar ones pointing to similer places). It depends on yourself to know what direction you want. If you go too far in one direction, then you pick up a different philosophy that points closer to the place you want to be.

Now that I've taken that analogy to the breaking point I'll also stop.

so it's more like a hill, or maybe a mountain, in that you can go up, have a look around, but then go back down again in whichever direction you choose. whenever my mind has had a new bending, i usually go down in a slightly differing direction, because if i go back down to where i was before, it's a bit disorienting.
Professor of Comparative Bollockology

Slyph

Truly, I'm pleased that you have explained to me that I don't have to live my life by the Principia Discordia. Shit, dodged a bullet there eh?

Telarus

Quote from: Slyph on January 25, 2011, 12:23:43 PM
Truly, I'm pleased that you have explained to me that I don't have to live my life by the Principia Discordia. Shit, dodged a bullet there eh?

It's really fun to do for short periods, just don't make it a habit.
Telarus, KSC,
.__.  Keeper of the Contradictory Cephalopod, Zenarchist Swordsman,
(0o)  Tender to the Edible Zen Garden, Ratcheting Metallic Sex Doll of The End Times,
/||\   Episkopos of the Amorphous Dreams Cabal

Join the Doll Underground! Experience the Phantasmagorical Safari!

Ratssinis

Quote from: Telarus on January 25, 2011, 06:20:41 PM
Quote from: Slyph on January 25, 2011, 12:23:43 PM

It's really fun to do for short periods, just don't make it a habit.

I can agree with that, seems every-time you come back and look there's a little more to it then before. Which I guess makes Discordia a pretty unique ladder, what with the getting taller and taller thing... Maybe its a human ladder?