News:

That's okay, I know how to turn my washing machine into a centrifuge if need be.

Main Menu

An apology from Captain Utopia

Started by Faust, April 20, 2012, 08:21:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Faust

Well that settles that then. I was only going to vote in the event of a tie because I'm not really pushed either way.
He stays banned.
Sleepless nights at the chateau

Cain

Yeah.  I'm not too fussed by this outcome, either.  I felt there was an alternate argument to be made, but I have to agree, it was not a strong one.

ñͤͣ̄ͦ̌̑͗͊͛͂͗ ̸̨̨̣̺̼̣̜͙͈͕̮̊̈́̈͂͛̽͊ͭ̓͆ͅé ̰̓̓́ͯ́́͞

It seems like an awkwardly written and overly wordy apology but sincere. The first part does look like he's trying to worm out of it however the second part suggests he's starting to own his mistakes.

I realize my opinion on this means pretty much nothing since I'm not one of the people he's apologizing to and I don't have a full catalog of his fuckups, but I do remember him being an okay dude before losing his shit.

The people he needed to convince were those of you he more or less directly freaked out on, I get that. I trust you all have very good reasons for rejecting his attempt to rejoin the community. I'm still not interested in the particulars as it sounds like it would be a long, unfunny rehash of something I already have a rough understanding of.

That's time better spent on things like re-reading this Goatse article Anna Mae posted a while ago.

edit: tag fail
P E R   A S P E R A   A D   A S T R A

Cain

On the one hand, Fictionpuss is a high-functioning aspie, or close to in terms of his ability to successfully navigate the social realm.  And therefore this may be a genuine apology he flunked on, precisely because he is not good at this kind of thing.

On the other hand, if he is going to return for another round of what has preceded, then he would word an apology, probably this bad, because he is not very good at social interaction.  The importance of the act lies in his state of mind when he wrote it, which we can only infer from his earlier actions.

Even if he is genuine, there is the argument that his poor sociability and obsessive nature could derail his attempts, regardless of his intent, and put us back to square one.

AFK

Forget CU, bring back Lamanite.  He made me laugh. 
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Cain

"The BIP just called me a Nigger, bring me some roadkill soup."

Anna Mae Bollocks

Whaaa...?  :horrormirth:

(And I can't take credit for finding the Goatse bio, that was somebody else. Google is being shit and not loading ATM, so can't find who.)
Scantily-Clad Inspector of Gigantic and Unnecessary Cashews, Texas Division

AFK

Quote from: Anna Mae Bollocks on April 21, 2012, 06:17:28 PM

(And I can't take credit for finding the Goatse bio, that was somebody else. Google is being shit and not loading ATM, so can't find who.)

Lamanite was notorious for two things.

1) Having a hissy-fit because the Latin form of Black Iron Prison was featured on a seal or something on the BIP.  One of those words, of course, being "niger".

2)  The other was some weird philosophy involving how people get the food they eat and an idea that you should essentially just wait for your food to wander up on to your stoop, whereupon you kill it, clean it, and cook it yourself. 

He was a bit kooky, to say the least. 
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Anna Mae Bollocks

Quote from: Reverend What's-His-Name? on April 21, 2012, 06:20:57 PM
Quote from: Anna Mae Bollocks on April 21, 2012, 06:17:28 PM

Lamanite was notorious for two things.

1) Having a hissy-fit because the Latin form of Black Iron Prison was featured on a seal or something on the BIP.  One of those words, of course, being "niger".

2)  The other was some weird philosophy involving how people get the food they eat and an idea that you should essentially just wait for your food to wander up on to your stoop, whereupon you kill it, clean it, and cook it yourself. 

He was a bit kooky, to say the least.

What the hell did he eat? Junebugs and feral cats? :lol:

Anna Mae Bollocks

Triple Zero

Quote from: Cain on April 21, 2012, 04:33:16 PMOn the one hand, Fictionpuss is a high-functioning aspie, or close to in terms of his ability to successfully navigate the social realm.  And therefore this may be a genuine apology he flunked on, precisely because he is not good at this kind of thing.

On the other hand, if he is going to return for another round of what has preceded, then he would word an apology, probably this bad, because he is not very good at social interaction.  The importance of the act lies in his state of mind when he wrote it, which we can only infer from his earlier actions.

Even if he is genuine, there is the argument that his poor sociability and obsessive nature could derail his attempts, regardless of his intent, and put us back to square one.

Exactly. I actually do believe there's a good chance he's genuine. The alternative is that this is the first step in some sort of convoluted scheme to get revenge and Show Us All. I think that's a bit more unlikely. But even if this is a sincere apology, the best he could muster anyway, even if he's coming at this with the best intentions, the "apology" itself shows that inside him, not very much has changed and I'm fairly sure this would go bad sooner or later (possibly later, but still). The reason for me believing that is that it has happened at least twice before.

Quote from: Net on April 21, 2012, 04:06:41 PM
It seems like an awkwardly written and overly wordy apology but sincere. The first part does look like he's trying to worm out of it however the second part suggests he's starting to own his mistakes.

If you take it literally/logically/rationally, just the words as a predicate, then yes, it's a genuine apology. But the way he awkwardly jumps around it, instead of just saying it straight out as it is, even though it's logically the same thing (referring specifically to "Now replace 'it' with 'I'", among other things), basically points out to me that he may know rationally that he was wrong, he doesn't feel it, or own it, you know? He's still wary of looking the issue straight in the eye and acknowledging the brunt truth, which is that he fucked up, and that because of this fucking up, even the things he thought were reasonable actions in the circumstances, are still basically his fault because he fucked up (referring to the "I don't know how I could have successfully dealt with the threats I perceived to EB&G" bit--because those "threats" wouldn't have been there in the first place were it not for taking an irresponsible stance as the admin there).

QuoteI realize my opinion on this means pretty much nothing since I'm not one of the people he's apologizing to and I don't have a full catalog of his fuckups, but I do remember him being an okay dude before losing his shit.

Yes, I remember the same things. He most certainly had some long stretches of being a very okay dude. And we probably would see those stretches for some time if we'd take him back in. But just judging from that apology, I'm sure at some point shit will hit the fan again, which might even be funny, but with very high probability Roger will take the brunt of that craziness, and he said he doesn't want that. And if it ends up being someone else, they wouldn't want that either.

QuoteThe people he needed to convince were those of you he more or less directly freaked out on, I get that. I trust you all have very good reasons for rejecting his attempt to rejoin the community. I'm still not interested in the particulars as it sounds like it would be a long, unfunny rehash of something I already have a rough understanding of.

Personally I think, if he tries again, in a year or a half or so, I'm going to give it yet another careful consideration. But this "apology" just reeks too much of a probable repeat of the same dramas.

QuoteThat's time better spent on things like re-reading this Goatse article Anna Mae posted a while ago.

Good read. Thanks. There was a better article I once found, but this one had other things I didn't know yet.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Anna Mae Bollocks

Quote from: Triple Zero on April 21, 2012, 10:21:09 PM
I actually do believe there's a good chance he's genuine. The alternative is that this is the first step in some sort of convoluted scheme to get revenge and Show Us All. I think that's a bit more unlikely.

Given his track record, why do you think that?

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Anna Mae Bollocks on April 22, 2012, 12:19:13 AM
I actually do believe there's a good chance he's genuine. The alternative is that this is the first step in some sort of convoluted scheme to get revenge and Show Us All. I think that's a bit more unlikely.

As I recall (which may be imperfect, I admit), CU was pretty normal until having break downs was normal for him. I remember Dok actually saying to everyone else to lay off because of his mental problems. He seemed like a cool dude before that. And the after that seemed pretty quick to me. His multiple breakdowns, IIRC were in a short period of time.

That said, I might be willing to entertain the idea (if I had a vote in this) of him rejoining. Provided that he made a proper apology. I was mulling over my opinion on it, but had uneasiness about it (also evidenced by my reluctance to bring him on board for Playground TSC). Maybe he will be ok in time but everyone's assessments of his apology located the vague apprehension I had about it. Something didn't seem to quite be there.

I hope that CU gets ok. I don't think he's quite there yet.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Triple Zero

Quote from: Anna Mae Bollocks on April 22, 2012, 12:19:13 AM

Basically what Twid said, he only seems to lash out all crazy like that when he's having some sort of breakdown. I don't think that letter was written in such a state of mind. Doesn't mean I think it's a good idea to have him back though.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.