News:

All you can say in this site's defence is that it, rather than reality, occupies the warped minds of some of the planet's most twisted people; gods know what they would get up to if it wasn't here.  In these arguably insane times, any lessening or attenuation of madness is maybe something to be thankful for.

Main Menu

Tonights menu

Started by Adios, June 03, 2010, 09:08:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Suu on December 07, 2010, 12:37:56 PM
Actually yeah...so is it boneless chicken breast? And you bake it in a Pyrex or something? I should try this.

Yeah, it's the easiest thing ever. You can leave the breasts whole but I prefer them cubed, and you just literally mix the chicken with some condensed cream of ____ soup (about one can per large breast), put it in a casserole dish (Pyrex is fine) and bake at 350 for about 30-40 minutes, depending on how big it is. I'd say half an hour for one breast, 40 minutes for two. While it's baking you make your white rice and any veggies you want (I'm very partial to lima beans!) and then when it's done you spoon it over the rice and dump a handful of grated cheese on top. It's SO good! It's like being little and eating at Grandma's house. If your Grandma is a Mormon from Utah.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Oh, and it's even better if you do it with boneless thigh meat, but then it's way fattier.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Adios

The greatest comfort food in the world.
Tomato soup and grilled cheese sandwiches.

LMNO

Team Vodka cocktail party.  Gonna make some mushroom and prosciutto crostini, and rosemary almonds.   Then we'll get drunk and order Chinese food.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Yesterday I made Yule dinner with all the fixins, and Mr. Language and his friend made 115 tamales.

Tonight, we have a tamale party.

Adios

Quote from: Nigel on December 22, 2010, 08:38:29 PM
Yesterday I made Yule dinner with all the fixins, and Mr. Language and his friend made 115 tamales.

YUM!!

Jenne

I love Christmas tamales.  I miss them.  We used to have friends that gave them to us when they made them for family...my favorite were the pork and the dessert ones...

Whatever

Tonight is hominy, tomato and chicken casserole.  My comfort food!

LMNO

Quote from: Niamh on December 23, 2010, 05:04:27 PM

Gonna want the recipe on that one.  I'm a sucker for hominy.

AFK

Quote from: Nigel on December 22, 2010, 08:38:29 PM

Heh.  I want to host Yule dinner.  Cept, I'd call it Yule Love Dinner. 

Yes, predictable, but it makes me happy. 
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

This sounds fantastic.

Whatever

Quote from: LMNO, PhD on December 23, 2010, 06:34:00 PM

Gonna want the recipe on that one.  I'm a sucker for hominy.

Hominy-Tomato-Chicken Casserole

figure ¼  can canned whole tomatos crushed per person.

One chicken breast per person (two if really small or large eaters) - I'm using boneless tonight!

One large onion medium dice for every 4 chicken breasts.

½ to 1 can of hominy per person (this is the star haha) I do a can per serving.

1-3 cloves of garlic (depending on taste)

Pepper of your choice.  I found some gorgeous fresnos at the at the market and used one of those chopped fine.

I like parsley with this.  I've seen it done with cilantro and while I love cilantro it isn't a taste I like with the hominy.  Chopped.

White wine

Salt and pepper to taste

EVOO

Cheese of your choice.  Tonights cheese is an herbed chevre that was on sale.  I've used a bunch of different types.  In fact bleu cheese with this is amazing but go real light on the peppers as they over power a lot.  I do not like gouda in this nor any of the really stinky cheeses.  Swiss is actually nice and I have used derby to nice compliments.

I quick sear the chicken in the same pan I use in the oven, remember this pan needs to eventually hold all of the above ingredients.  When I turn the breasts over I add the garlic (I used 2 cloves for 6 breasts).  Once nicely browned, remove from heat and cover with the tomatoes and a nice dash of white wine.  Cover and put in a 350 oven for 15 minutes.

While in oven, drain your hominy.  I don't rinse mine but you can.  In a pan in a touch of butter quick fry the hominy and onions with a touch of salt and pepper.  Right about the time your oven timer goes off, your onions should be just past translucent and getting a touch of color. Remove from stove and put in a bowl, quickly deglaze the pan with a couple tablespoons of the wine. Remove the pan from the oven and turn your oven down to 300.  Add all of the hominy and onions and the chopped peppers to the pan, give everything a quick readjustment, drizzle with the deglazed wine from your skillet, cover and put back in the oven.  Now this is the tricky part as you really have to base this on how thick your chicken is.  Leave it in the oven until you are happy with the doneness of your chicken, you know what temps and such.  Remove from the oven and cover with the shredded, crumbled or diced cheese of your choice.  Let this sit for a good 10 minutes to let the cheese get a bit melty and the flavors combine. I sprinkle the parsley on with the cheese.  If you use a hard cheese, allow a few minutes for this to go back into the oven!

I serve family style.  A nice salad or some green veg on the side.  Tonight is brussel sprout leaves quick fried in OO with a touch of garlic, salt and then tossed with pine nuts.

Let me know how you like this, I know a lot of people who dislike hominy so I rarely share my recipes for it!

LMNO

That sounds really good.  I'm gonna steal it.

Adios

Hominy triggers my gag reflex. No idea why.

Whatever

Quote from: LMNO, PhD on December 23, 2010, 07:45:56 PM
That sounds really good.  I'm gonna steal it.

Go right ahead.  Let me know if you like it!

Quote from: Charley Brown on December 23, 2010, 07:49:05 PM
Hominy triggers my gag reflex. No idea why.

I think a lot of people feel this way.  Or else the squeekiness when you chew it works a nerve, either way, I know most people do not like hominy.