News:

"We don't make the apocalypse, we make the apocalypse better."

Main Menu

MAKE MONEY TELLING NAIVE ELDERLY PEOPLE WHAT THEY WANT TO HEAR, SRSLY.

Started by Mesozoic Mister Nigel, February 11, 2010, 05:21:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Hoopla on February 12, 2010, 04:16:40 PM
Quote from: LMNO on February 12, 2010, 04:12:36 PM
Quote from: Calamity Nigel on February 12, 2010, 04:10:17 PM
B. Never heard of the Parable of the Golden Bull.

:sad: :sad:

http://www.principiadiscordia.com/forum/index.php?topic=7645.0

Is a very cute and entertaining story.

Does not change my mind about pervasive elitism based on the subjective notion of enlightenment, or the rather sticky notion of justifying taking advantage of people based on their intelligence, though.

Hell, even my 12-year-old reading over my shoulder was disgusted with Lys' posts. I mean, she IS the kid that defends the retarded kids at school, so maybe she was internally comparing him to that, but I still thought that her child-perception was onto something.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

LMNO

Doktor Howl

Molon Lube

East Coast Hustle

this whole subject is retarded. People are stupid. Stupid people have money. I don't have much money, but am not overly stupid. Intelligence is a resource. Resources are finite. I use my resources to acquire resources from others. Casting that in any sort of ethical/moral light makes no sense to me. Should I voluntarily exclude myself from acquiring resources because it may negatively impact others? They certainly aren't giving me the same consideration. They'd stab me in the face if they thought it would provide them some advantage.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Emerald City Hustle on February 12, 2010, 06:17:19 PM
this whole subject is retarded. People are stupid. Stupid people have money. I don't have much money, but am not overly stupid. Intelligence is a resource. Resources are finite. I use my resources to acquire resources from others. Casting that in any sort of ethical/moral light makes no sense to me. Should I voluntarily exclude myself from acquiring resources because it may negatively impact others? They certainly aren't giving me the same consideration. They'd stab me in the face if they thought it would provide them some advantage.

I think Bernard Madoff would tend to agree with you.

Captain Utopia

There is lots of grey area, and each case requires individual consideration.  Casting to extremes doesn't provide much illumination.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Well, in this case, and what this specific thread is about, is that I specifically find Lysergic's attitude toward his clientele, and apparently humanity in general, rather repugnant.

Perhaps Rand was right and there is no morality other than survival of the strongest, but I personally disagree.

Jasper

Quote from: Calamity Nigel on February 12, 2010, 08:52:27 PM

I think it depends on how far you take it.  Yeah, intelligence as a resource and using it to make a living.  That works.  It only becomes unethical when you use it to exploit others to the point of their deprivation.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Sigmatic on February 12, 2010, 09:21:06 PM

I think it depends on how far you take it.  Yeah, intelligence as a resource and using it to make a living.  That works.  It only becomes unethical when you use it to exploit others to the point of their deprivation.

Well, yes. Exactly.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Calamity Nigel on February 12, 2010, 09:11:45 PM

Perhaps Rand was right and there is no morality other than survival of the strongest, but I personally disagree.

I won't live in that universe.
Molon Lube

Captain Utopia

That breed of morality seems to closely follow "what is, should be".  It reminds me of "The Family" and their belief that everyone in a position of authority was placed there by Baby Jesus.  Except for Obama.  I haven't read that book yet, so I'm unclear of the cause of the selective reasoning, although I could probably guess.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: FP on February 12, 2010, 09:40:46 PM
That breed of morality seems to closely follow "what is, should be".  It reminds me of "The Family" and their belief that everyone in a position of authority was placed there by Baby Jesus.  Except for Obama.  I haven't read that book yet, so I'm unclear of the cause of the selective reasoning, although I could probably guess.

Also, Nancy Pelosi.  They're not so keen on her, either, and Baby Jesus must have taken the day off.
Molon Lube

Eater of Clowns

Lys, stop using psychicatry to steal billions of dollars from people.
Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: EoC on February 12, 2010, 10:15:59 PM

Lys, stop using psychicatry to steal billions of dollars from people.

To clarify for you, I had diverged from my criticism of Lysergic's attitude toward his clientele, and was addressing what I took to be the underlying sentiment behind the bolded line in ECH's post by using an extreme example of that kind of philosophy as an illustration of why I disagree with it in general.