News:

It's a bad decade to be bipedal, soft and unarmed.

Main Menu

BIP. Why are there no hardcopies?

Started by Icey, February 10, 2011, 04:48:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Icey

I'm new to this forum and whatnot, so forgive me if I am reiterating a dead thread, but why isn't BIP published yet? I understand that shit costs money, and time, and actually finding a publisher crazy enough to do it, but has anyone tried?

Nephew Twiddleton

I figured that I would just print it out when I had a mind to, but otherwise am happy reading it online (same with any other Discordian literature). Could probably get it put on kindle or something but I don't really know anything about that, since a lot of the technology I'm used to is generally obsolete or doesn't need improving for my purposes.

Probably someone who's been here longer (and worked on it) can better answer that.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Icey

I'm fine with reading it online too, but I feel something is lost from the actual tangibility of a hardcopy. Plus, it would be a boon whenever I next hear the question, "Talk to me. No matter what it is, I'll understand." and I could just hand them the book and be like "Take one of these, and get back to me afterwards"

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Icey on February 10, 2011, 05:02:32 AM
I'm fine with reading it online too, but I feel something is lost from the actual tangibility of a hardcopy. Plus, it would be a boon whenever I next hear the question, "Talk to me. No matter what it is, I'll understand." and I could just hand them the book and be like "Take one of these, and get back to me afterwards"

I get that. I like the feel of a book in my hands myself. As far as the other thing goes, though, Pope card with a URL on it.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

AFK

I think someone might've uploaded it onto one of those print on demand type sites.  Probably after one of the revisions by Cram.  But when we did the original, we basically just intended to print them out as pamphlets and distribute them throughout our localities.  But I think it would be cool if we were able to get it published, though it's a bit small. 
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

LMNO

We developed a pdf that can be printed (two sided), and assembled into a 28 page booklet (7 sheets of 8.5x11 paper).

http://www.blackironprison.com/index.php?title=Black_Iron_Prison_pamphlets

Cramulus

The BIP is kind of short for a print-on-demand book. It could be done. It could even be set up so that the profits go to the PD server costs. The BIP is very small though, it makes more sense as a zine than as a paperback.

HOWEVER - I want to draw your attention to the DIY method - I have a small library of self-assembled discordian books, and I like them far more than most of the "official" versions. You're right that there's something romantic about print, it creates a more tangible experience, and that's Quality. There is also something really fresh about DIY booklets, stuff that looks like it was made by some nutjob in a basement. (read: you)

The first time I read the BIP, it wasn't on a screen, I printed it out and read it in hard copy. The original PDF was very sparse and the pages were in the wrong order. It felt really organic, wild, like it came from the edge.

LMNO

I think the BIP should only be a DIY pamphlet.

It was birthed in a crush of creativity, hastily compiled, with half-assed layout.  Taken as a whole, it has a frantic, unfocused quality; while at the same time, each individual piece is coherent and well-written. 

It would be to, i dunno, formal to bind it and hawk it on Lulu.  It's meant to be left in bars, on trains, and in legislator's offices.  It's supposed to be underground, contraband, samizdat

There may well be a place in the presses for a "proper" BIP book, but the original pamphlet is not that book.  But I see nothing holding anyone back from writing, compiling, and editing something about the BIP for publishing.

AFK

I agree with LMNO's sentiments, and it really is too small.  I mean, I'm a purist anyway and, no knock on Cram or anyone else who's done a re-treatment, I'm still fondest of the original version we, well LMNO, knocked out back in late 06/early 07.  It was just a great, organic movement that came from so many different people.  It was pretty beautiful. 
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

LMNO

Plus, I really wanted to use the word samizdat.

Icey

I understand your sentiments. I'm debating printing out an ass-ton of copies and setting up shop at this place on campus called Speaker's Circle. That's where all the fire-and-brimstone flavored religious nuts go to tell me I'm going to hell. It's got massive traffic, open space, etc, so I might just put up a table and set pamphlets there, and just leave. It would be interesting to see what happened with that unattended table and all those things blowing around.

LMNO

If you're going to do pamphlets, check out the Multimedia Depository and the BIP download page.  There are pamphlets on The Machine™ as well, and some pretty cool conspiracy/TRUFACTS trifolds.