News:

The characteristic feature of the loser is to bemoan, in general terms, mankind's flaws, biases, contradictions and irrationality-without exploiting them for fun and profit

Main Menu

Zombie!

Started by Bebek Sincap Ratatosk, May 29, 2012, 03:22:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

So I'm sure many of you have already read the story of a Florida man who was shot while eating the face off of another guy. He apparently had to be shot multiple times and was growling at people.

Cops quoted in the news suspect the man was on 'bath salts'. *

In the book 'The Serpent and the Rainbow', Wade Davis claimed that Hatian witch doctors induced a 'zombie-like' state using compounds of drugs (neurotoxins and psychoactives). The veracity of his theories have been widely panned, but in this case, I think we could argue that a person with little or no cognitive ability, decreased sensitivity to pain, increased strength etc would fit the bill as a 'zombie' (not the undead kind, but the drug induced kind).

Does the existence of a drug induced zombie attack strengthen the argument for concealed handguns for personal protection? Or is it outweighed by the abuse of concealed weapons, such as the situation with Zimmerman and Martin?

* not gonna comment on the absurdity of comparing bath salts' to LSD.
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

Elder Iptuous

I would think that it strengthens the argument for concealed handguns (and machetes, perhaps) if anything, and whether it is outweighed by the abuses is a related, but separate matter, no?

that is to say, that it couldn't reasonably weaken the argument for CHL, and in many peoples' opinions would strengthen it, but whether it would convince someone opposed to the practice to change their mind is unlikely.  so for them the answer would be 'both'.

Nephew Twiddleton

If he was shot several times it doesnt really affext the argument imo. With zombies you gotta aim for the head. Which will kill someone who isnt a zombie too. It might be considered excessive force. Depending on the situation if i had to defend myself with a firearm i would aim for the knee caps. Which wouldnt work in this situation.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Nephew Twiddleton

Also- violent cannibalism is still rare. My chances of having my face eaten still approach zero.

Cain

Can Zombies use concealed guns?

Nephew Twiddleton

If they think to use that rather than their bare hands yes. George romero zombies dont exist. Only drug zomies and voodoo zombies which are special drug zombies.

Elder Iptuous

Quote from: Twiddlegeddon on May 29, 2012, 04:39:03 PM
If they think to use that rather than their bare hands yes. George romero zombies dont exist. Only drug zomies and voodoo zombies which are special drug zombies.
I am a P-Zombie....
So, you can add that to your list.

Nephew Twiddleton

What the hell is that?:lol:

Anna Mae Bollocks

Maybe something like P Funk with zombies?
Scantily-Clad Inspector of Gigantic and Unnecessary Cashews, Texas Division

Telarus

Quote from: Cain on May 29, 2012, 04:37:14 PM
Can Zombies use concealed guns?

Not concealed ones, no. It's pretty obvious when a jittery corpse tries to take pot shots at you.

See the 2000 Ryuhei Kitamura film, 'Versus'.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jNgdB-n71is

Telarus, KSC,
.__.  Keeper of the Contradictory Cephalopod, Zenarchist Swordsman,
(0o)  Tender to the Edible Zen Garden, Ratcheting Metallic Sex Doll of The End Times,
/||\   Episkopos of the Amorphous Dreams Cabal

Join the Doll Underground! Experience the Phantasmagorical Safari!

Cain

I think we also have to consider the concept of muscle memory, too.  A concealed gun permit owner likely has more experience with firearms than your average zombie.  Therefore, they are likely to be better shots, even in death.  The way to hold a gun and squeeze the trigger will come to them more naturally, much in the way after years of practice, martial artists can perform certain techniques without conscious and deliberate control.

It may be better that, come the start of a zombie apocalypse, we immediately round up and liquidate those with extensive combat training.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: Cain on May 29, 2012, 05:08:24 PM
I think we also have to consider the concept of muscle memory, too.  A concealed gun permit owner likely has more experience with firearms than your average zombie.  Therefore, they are likely to be better shots, even in death.  The way to hold a gun and squeeze the trigger will come to them more naturally, much in the way after years of practice, martial artists can perform certain techniques without conscious and deliberate control.

It may be better that, come the start of a zombie apocalypse, we immediately round up and liquidate those with extensive combat training.

An excellent point. Iin the case of this particular zombie though, he was naked and locations for hidden firearms would be greatly reduced.

Cain

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Yet another reason the US will be super screwed in the Zombie Apocalypse :D

Elder Iptuous

Quote from: Twiddlegeddon on May 29, 2012, 04:59:15 PM
What the hell is that?:lol:
it's a philosophical thought experiment.  interesting, but not really related to the serious question at hand. i was just being goofy.

Quote from: Bebek Sincap Ratatosk on May 29, 2012, 05:13:35 PM
Quote from: Cain on May 29, 2012, 05:08:24 PM

An excellent point. Iin the case of this particular zombie though, he was naked and locations for hidden firearms would be greatly reduced.
He could still have been skilled in unarmed combat.  a Kung-Fu Korpse, of sorts.

hey, someone needs to make a zombie movie where they aren't just runners,  but enhanced in agility.  Parkour Zombies out to get you.  it would be creepy, action packed, and have the possibility of some real comic relief.