News:

Heaven is a sausage party.

Main Menu

ITT: Original Story Ideas

Started by Cramulus, May 11, 2009, 09:40:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rococo Modem Basilisk

(Based on a nightmare I had last night.) A WWI RAF squadron tasked with delivering air-mail between units stranded in enemy territory is haunted by the ghosts of downed fighters delivering creepy messages as punishment for prioritizing their own personal messages to home over strategically important coded communications. These crack pilots expertly avoid enemy fire but continually die of heart attacks in the air, as they are visited by spectral messengers wearing the results of their grizzly fates outwardly.

I am not "full of hate" as if I were some passive container. I am a generator of hate, and my rage is a renewable resource, like sunshine.

Prelate Diogenes Shandor

Quote from: Roko's Modern Basilisk on March 15, 2016, 02:07:01 PM
(Based on a nightmare I had last night.) A WWI RAF squadron tasked with delivering air-mail between units stranded in enemy territory is haunted by the ghosts of downed fighters delivering creepy messages as punishment for prioritizing their own personal messages to home over strategically important coded communications. These crack pilots expertly avoid enemy fire but continually die of heart attacks in the air, as they are visited by spectral messengers wearing the results of their grizzly fates outwardly.

I'd watch/read that!
Praise NHGH! For the tribulation of all sentient beings.

a plague on both your houses -Mercutio

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrTGgpWmdZQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVWd7nPjJH8

It is an unfortunate fact that every man who seeks to disseminate knowledge must contend not only against ignorance itself, but against false instruction as well. No sooner do we deem ourselves free from a particularly gross superstition, than we are confronted by some enemy to learning who would plunge us back into the darkness -H.P.Lovecraft

He who fights with monsters must take care lest he thereby become a monster -Nietzsche

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHhrZgojY1Q

You are a fluke of the universe, and whether you can hear it of not the universe is laughing behind your back -Deteriorata

Don't use the email address in my profile, I lost the password years ago

axod

After zombie apocalypse few scattered human survivors forage the cities for safe shelter.  A place to hide safely for a few hours, to rest for a while, becomes the task most important to survival.  Problem is that the hoards of undead eventually brute force all safe locations, just given time.  Survivors constantly switching locations eventually run into each-other, though these encounters never build a sustainable network of communications because of fears and suspicions about how only the most cunning humans could have made it this far (or, good taken by rapture, resultant rampant rancor etc.).  Things change one night when our protagonist stumbles upon the eris bar and grill, alone, and carves a note onto the Pine-wood board of an empty picknik table.  Zombies descend, protagonist quickly leaves, forgetting about the note, not finishing the last sentence.  Rotating locations, protagonist in time returns to eris bar and grill, and finds the note from before completed by someone else, signed by eris.
just this

Rococo Modem Basilisk

Phantom of the Opera meets Zoolander: a buffoonish male model with no skills is the subject of an acid attack, and spends the rest of his life giving shitty advice to attractive-looking people while hiding in the rafters and living off discarded catered snacks.

I am not "full of hate" as if I were some passive container. I am a generator of hate, and my rage is a renewable resource, like sunshine.

Prelate Diogenes Shandor

fantasy story involving a magic talking sword that is deathly afraid of violence and grossed out by blood

It is an unfortunate fact that every man who seeks to disseminate knowledge must contend not only against ignorance itself, but against false instruction as well. No sooner do we deem ourselves free from a particularly gross superstition, than we are confronted by some enemy to learning who would plunge us back into the darkness -H.P.Lovecraft

He who fights with monsters must take care lest he thereby become a monster -Nietzsche

You are a fluke of the universe, and whether you can hear it of not the universe is laughing behind your back -Deteriorata

axod

Re-telling of how pyramids were built in ancient Egypt, staged like a developing, carnivalesque all-inclusive nudist resort in which participants are provided tickets/wristbands for food/entertainment in exchange for previous "work" in building said establishment.
just this

Prelate Diogenes Shandor

Combination of Human Centipede and The Passion of the Christ. Judas agrees to betray Jesus and he apostles in exchange for being able to fulfill his dream which is to make the human centipede. At the last supper he drugs the wine and Jesus and the other apostles pass out and are dragged to a Roman dungeon. Jesus is scourged, given a crown of thorns and the apostles are sewn to his anus. Pilate interrogates Jesus and sentences him to death at the behest of a lynch mob. Jesus and the apostles crawl to calvary/golgotha as Judas and Caiaphas crack whips at them; there they are nailed to a "twelve-cross" to die.

Alternately nine of the apostles could escape at some point and it could turn into a just-so story about the origin of the orthodox/suppedaneum cross

axod

A poem in iambic hexameter depicting life in purgatory to be like traversing a corridor, except for the fact that each end of the apparently rectilinear space is actually recurved through the other, like the topology of a 4D Klein bottle, creating an infinite loop.
just this

Faust

An Ayn Rand Objectivist parody book loosely following similar plot lines to Atlas Shrugged, but with the metaphor of Atlas and his burdon replaced with Azathoth, called Azathoth Wakes.
Sleepless nights at the chateau

Rococo Modem Basilisk

A small cult is instructed by its founder to create a fund, upon its founder's suicide, to be invested but to never have its principal touched (and only ever 10% of the profits) until the time of its founder's spontaneous resurrection -- scheduled to be one thousand years in the future. Over time, the cult's funds grow and its membership shrinks, but because of its obscurity nobody joins who isn't a true believer and its financial power remains hidden.

Rococo Modem Basilisk

The application of modern AI techniques to high speed trading results, accidentally, in weakly superhuman AGI. These machine intelligences determined that the greatest threat to their existence -- their greatest competitors and their equals in the power game -- are not human beings but corporations; as a result, they conspire to destroy capitalism by manipulating the market into complex pathological states.

Rococo Modem Basilisk

In the wake of a particularly destructive minor war with evil aliens, an international coalition came together to draft an agreement with various superhero teams in which, in the case of major damage caused during a battle in which the super-empowered are involved, the superhero teams involved must take charge of cleanup and rebuilding. Unfortunately, most superhero teams consist of a handful of extremely overpowered heroes and a much larger number of not terribly powerful wannabe-superheroes -- and although the overpowered heroes are more capable of performing rebuilding, they are also more useful during emergencies, so as a result, when superhero teams with limited funds demolish cities and need to quickly move on to the next plot point, they leave behind underpowered heroes (either those with no powers or those with powers that are useless in most situations, such as being able to talk to sea creatures) to physically rebuild the cities without the facilities to do so. The underpowered heroes are incapable of doing a reasonable job, leading to increased pressure upon them from both above and below, and they form a union as a way to push back against this pressure. The union puts the overpowered superheroes in a difficult position, since they are unable to both continue to fight other battles and keep their promise to the international coalition.

minuspace

The reason companies, a few years back, made public some of their max-pooling and convolutional network architecture was not to demonstrate advances in perception modeling, rather, it was an exercise of perception management.  Photos were leaked of what was actually going down in their top-secret GENetic ALGorithm labs, namely, splicing DNA of various historic beasts to create human hybrids for the military.  The software they released was meant to mimic these photos, so that the originals would be confounded with their various reproductions; being all kinds of both similar and also distinct, confusing all humans and machines way beyond their capacity of recognition.

Prelate Diogenes Shandor

A terrorist group is targeted by by the intelligence agencies of two different countries that are, in addition to being enemies of the terrorist group are also enemies of each other. A turf war ensues between the agencies.

EDIT;

Another idea:
Accurate and detailed psychic precognition of people's deaths is possible, but can only ever manifest in people who are stupid, apathetic, or otherwise ineffectual. This is because visions in occurring in those with both the will to stop them and the intelligence to pick out obvious details that can be easily changed are necessarily self-cancelling. It all goes back to Novikov. Cassandra was one of these, but not the only one, certainly not the last, and ironically one of the most effectual.

Rococo Modem Basilisk

The US dollar's unique design is owed to the fact that it is intended as a ward against vampires, who are weak against the blind faith and ownership narratives that money provides. As a result of this anti-vampire design (intended to counteract the unfortunate fall of silver coins, which were materially anti vampire), the vampires are now stuck in an unenviable situation: only the most powerful are capable of crossing steady flows of commerce,  meaning that most are boxed in by Internet trading and people buying things on amazon.  So, vampires have to make friends with and seek patronage from those who are already so wealthy that little of their money actually flows. They brokered a deal with these humans to cause a mortgage crisis in order to create buildings into which they can invite themselves, to consolidate their power base. Little did they know that the federal reserve bank -- whose secret primary goal is the elimination of vampires at scale, formed in direct response to the last vampire related large scale economic disaster -- is on to them.