News:

Goddammit.  Another truckload of bees.

Main Menu

BREAKING: Arlen Specter becoming a Democrat

Started by AFK, April 28, 2009, 05:26:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Iason Ouabache

Quote from: Sadly, No!A Sinking Ship: "Yay! We're rat free! We have no more rats! Not a single rat on boa...glub! Glub! Glub! sputter! Glub! Glub! gasp! Not one single ra... glub! Glub! GLUB! Gurgle... gurgle....
glub..."

[an eerie silence, as the waters close and become still]

:lulz:
You cannot fathom the immensity of the fuck i do not give.
    \
┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘

East Coast Hustle

Quote from: East Coast Hustle on April 28, 2009, 09:30:54 PM
am I the only one that smells a rat?

a rat that smells alot like "reagan democrats" who will either water down the dems to the point of being (even more) impotent or cause an ideological split within the party that will guarantee GOP gains in the next couple of elections?

srsly, this. and if you think otherwise, you're probably fooling yourself.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Corvidia

Quote from: East Coast Hustle on April 29, 2009, 02:43:59 AM

a rat that smells alot like "reagan democrats" who will either water down the dems to the point of being (even more) impotent or cause an ideological split within the party that will guarantee GOP gains in the next couple of elections?

srsly, this. and if you think otherwise, you're probably fooling yourself.
^ Yup, mostly on the Regan Democrats bit.

Quote from: Iason Ouabache on April 28, 2009, 09:32:39 PM
Quote from: Slanket the Destroyer on April 28, 2009, 06:54:13 PM
StD,
wonders if that's a viable third party he sees on the horizon...
OHPLEASE. OHPLEASE. OHPLEASE!!!
If only. But StD is very, very wrong on this. It's not gonna happen.
One for sorrow,
Two for joy,
Three for a girl,
Four for a boy,
Five for silver,
Six for gold,
Seven for a secret never to be told.

Pariah

:lulz:

Like thats gonna happen.
Specters going to play the role of a B+ Blood Transfusion in a A+ blood stream
Its not going to work
Play safe! Ski only in a clockwise direction! Let's all have fun together!

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Rev. What's-His-Name? on April 28, 2009, 05:26:23 PM
Seriously:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/30456741/

Just in time for Limbaugh's show.  You just know he's ripping into him as we speak. 

It was bound to happen.  The RNC has reacted to the 2006 and 2008 elections by throwing their toys out of the pram, and attempting massive retribution on anyone who crosses them.

This is the result.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

East Coast Hustle

in case anyone didn't believe me:

QuoteSen. Mel Martinez, R-Fla., said that in a private meeting with Republicans, Specter "gave a purely political explanation. ... He said: 'I've looked at the polls. I can't win as a Republican, I can't win as an independent. The only way I have a shot is to be a Democrat.'"

As recently as late winter, Specter was asked by a reporter why he had not taken Democrats up on past offers to switch parties.

"Because I am a Republican," he said.

from http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090429/ap_on_go_co/us_specter

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

LMNO

Yeah, but if you look at Specter's history, his first election he tried to run as a Democrat, but they didn't want him, so he went with his second choice.

http://www.slate.com/id/2217142/

QuoteIn 1965, when he ran for Philadelphia district attorney, he thought he'd do it as a Democrat—but the party machine didn't want him, so he ran on the other ticket.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

So Specter's generally held the same political positions throughout his life. Generally, he seems moderate... very moderate for a 21st century republican, somewhat moderate for a Democrat (Hillary Level Dem). I think I would prefer to have individuals that maintain their political views, regardless of party than sycophants all voting a party line.

That ones political party has come to completely define their 'good' or 'bad' status among citizens is a very very bad thing, I think. John McCain, Arlen Specter, Joe Liberman, Russ Feingold... they seem to get beaten by people on both sides, often by the same damned fools that whine about wanting a third party or complain that both parties are the same... then freak if someone in one party agrees with the other or doesn't areee 100% with the party line.

It's bullshit. If the senator of PA can be elected by his constituents as a Democrat, then good for him.... if successful I'd say he's one of the few who appear capable of doing his job in a way that appeases most of his constituency rather than the nation of wankers that look to the senate for THEIR WAY, rather than a body of individuals representing their districts.

Good for Specter, If I lived in PA, I might even vote for him.
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

Adios

No matter how hard I stare I just don't see the real difference between the parties.

Sir Squid Diddimus

It sounds to me that he switched just to switch and create more opposition within the democratic party.
He still has all the same republican views, but now, as a democrat he can argue for the republicans on the democrat's side.
He's still a republican.

Jenne

He's got some interesting stats in his home state.  I think something like 70% of the Dems in PA approve of him, whereas only 30% of Republicans do.  It seems his vote for the stimulus package really harmed his rep over there, plus much of his voting record.  Also, the Republicans put a rightwingnut up to run against him in the primaries, and he almost lost to him.

I see this more as payback against the GOP leaders more than anything.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: Jenne on April 29, 2009, 05:21:02 PM
He's got some interesting stats in his home state.  I think something like 70% of the Dems in PA approve of him, whereas only 30% of Republicans do.  It seems his vote for the stimulus package really harmed his rep over there, plus much of his voting record.  Also, the Republicans put a rightwingnut up to run against him in the primaries, and he almost lost to him.

I see this more as payback against the GOP leaders more than anything.

THIS!

Specter wasn't a 'Republican' by the standards of the GOP that exists today. He is conservative, he was a Republican, but his party has been taken over by whack jobs. There is nothing particularly evil about conservative ideas and Specter is pretty middle of the road on this anyway.

Besides, opposition within the democrats is a good thing... did we all forget what happens when one party has control of everything? Or does the USAPATRIOTACT only happen when the GOP is in charge?  :transmet:
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

Jenne

Exactly.  At first, when I heard the GOP shouting ignoramous things like "conspiracy" and "abuse" when Specter tipped the 60%-mark (once Franken makes it in finally after June's circus act of a trial), I thought Get outta town, fuckers!  This is what you get when you LOSE!

But then, the paranoid side of my brain (which lately has been drowning out the PollyAnna one) pointed out that they had a point about checks and balances.  *shrug*  Time will tell if the Dems are going to make good on their bullshit promises anyone who knows anything about politics really doesn't believe they'll ever make good on. (don't read that last sentence too many times, it makes my eyes swivel back in my head)

East Coast Hustle

Quote from: Hawk on April 29, 2009, 04:52:31 PM
No matter how hard I stare I just don't see the real difference between the parties.

one party smiles at you BEFORE they fuck you.

Jenne

I think they both do that--one with horrormirthy embarassment and one with malice of intent.