News:

If words could really hurt you, this forum would be one huge abbatoir.

Main Menu

Paranoia?

Started by Don Coyote, September 18, 2011, 06:39:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Doktor Howl on September 19, 2011, 08:23:20 PM
Quote from: Nigel on September 19, 2011, 08:14:00 PM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on September 19, 2011, 05:54:09 PM
Quote from: Cramulus on September 19, 2011, 05:46:44 PM
Once the civilization has reached the pace where you need cybernetic implants to compete in the job market, people will be pushing each other out of the way for them.

This.  In the 80s, people scrambled to obtain cell phones, so that they would never, ever be left alone again.  Now they carry "smart" phones, so that they can be pestered by email 24/7.  Woe unto mankind when his phone is smarter than he...But I am a bit of a Luddite in that fashion.  I still believe that a person should be able to enjoy a bit of solitude without a ringtone shattering the moment.

RUN,  YOU FUCKING LEMMINGS!  RUN!  Gotta get the newest fastest sexiest best-ever.  Gotta chase that electronic rabbit, without ever considering what happens to the greyhounds at the track when they get too old to run.  Gotta DO, there's no time to BE. 

A wise old Spag once said, "There's more to life than increasing its speed."  I agree with him (except when it comes to driving), and I won't be getting any "implants".  I may be saddled with two cell phones, but I can "accidentally" leave them at home, or just inside, while I sit out back with a cheap cigar and a cup of chai...Which I presume I would be unable to do with some cheap gizmo actually embedded in my flesh.

This Future™ is a techie's heaven and a Holy Man's™ hell.

I've been having a gradually creeping longing to move into a dirt hut in the middle of nowhere. I mean, I remember living without TV, or internet, or cell phones, or central heating. It wasn't at all bad. Plus, there was nothing to do all day except read, garden, go for walks, and make stuff with your hands.

It was pretty awesome.

You can't turn back the clock, and you can't dial down the speed on the treadmill.  It's no use dreaming about when we all lived in the forest and nobody lived anywhere else...This is now, and we gotta run, run, run until we collapse like draft horses in the traces.  But don't worry yourself over the fate of The Machine™...There's always another horse.  Hell, we have so much disposable labor these days that it would be a CRIME to not treat 'em as sacrificial gears, right?

You gotta be TOMORROW.  Not now, not "living in the moment", but rather running full tilt, headlong until you cross the finish line and get your prize.

My original plan, back when I was young and idealistic, was to burn it all down.

ALL of it. Take it back to dirt and let the weeds take over.

That was MY Revolution.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

ñͤͣ̄ͦ̌̑͗͊͛͂͗ ̸̨̨̣̺̼̣̜͙͈͕̮̊̈́̈͂͛̽͊ͭ̓͆ͅé ̰̓̓́ͯ́́͞

Quote from: Nigel on September 19, 2011, 08:37:53 PM
My original plan, back when I was young and idealistic, was to burn it all down.

That was MY Revolution.

That gives me an idea....
P E R   A S P E R A   A D   A S T R A

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Net on September 19, 2011, 09:57:34 PM
Quote from: Nigel on September 19, 2011, 08:37:53 PM

That was MY Revolution.

That gives me an idea....

Oh dear
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Don Coyote

Quote from: Doktor Howl on September 19, 2011, 05:54:09 PM
Quote from: Cramulus on September 19, 2011, 05:46:44 PM
Once the civilization has reached the pace where you need cybernetic implants to compete in the job market, people will be pushing each other out of the way for them.

This.  In the 80s, people scrambled to obtain cell phones, so that they would never, ever be left alone again.  Now they carry "smart" phones, so that they can be pestered by email 24/7.  Woe unto mankind when his phone is smarter than he...But I am a bit of a Luddite in that fashion.  I still believe that a person should be able to enjoy a bit of solitude without a ringtone shattering the moment.

RUN,  YOU FUCKING LEMMINGS!  RUN!  Gotta get the newest fastest sexiest best-ever.  Gotta chase that electronic rabbit, without ever considering what happens to the greyhounds at the track when they get too old to run.  Gotta DO, there's no time to BE. 

A wise old Spag once said, "There's more to life than increasing its speed."  I agree with him (except when it comes to driving), and I won't be getting any "implants".  I may be saddled with two cell phones, but I can "accidentally" leave them at home, or just inside, while I sit out back with a cheap cigar and a cup of chai...Which I presume I would be unable to do with some cheap gizmo actually embedded in my flesh.

This Future™ is a techie's heaven and a Holy Man's™ hell.

That is precisely why I like having a dumbphone still. I get to play the "well it likes to crap the fuck out so sometimes I won't text messages until hours after they were sent" card, but I WILL be getting new eyes when they come out.
Quote from: Doktor Howl on September 19, 2011, 06:49:32 PM
Quote from: Iptuous on September 19, 2011, 06:44:32 PM
I, for one, can hardly wait to be a robot.

That's why we have American Idol.

:horrormirth:

Cain

Coyote, I suggest you get yourself in that kind of frame of mind, and read or watch something which doesn't have a clear-cut message, or even one at all.

Or maybe not, since this could be seen as cultivating a form of mild insanity.

Don Coyote

Quote from: Cain on September 23, 2011, 04:16:18 PM
Coyote, I suggest you get yourself in that kind of frame of mind, and read or watch something which doesn't have a clear-cut message, or even one at all.

Or maybe not, since this could be seen as cultivating a form of mild insanity.

That way sounds like madness. So watch ATHF looking for hidden meanings? :lulz: Or I could read Illuminatus!

Golden Applesauce

I'll get a cybernetic USB-type adapter implant the instant they become affordable and don't have long term side effects (well, at least no long term side effects worse than my current lifestyle.)

I want to see just how how many WPM I can read if I don't even have to use eyeballs.
Q: How regularly do you hire 8th graders?
A: We have hired a number of FORMER 8th graders.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Golden Applesauce on September 24, 2011, 06:03:04 AM
I'll get a cybernetic USB-type adapter implant the instant they become affordable and don't have long term side effects (well, at least no long term side effects worse than my current lifestyle.)

I want to see just how how many WPM I can read if I don't even have to use eyeballs.

AND I WANT TO SEE HOW MANY TIMES I CAN FUCK WITHOUT USING MY PENIS.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Don Coyote

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on October 03, 2012, 10:28:48 PM

AS SEEN ON TV
YOU TOO CAN LEASE A PATENTED FUCK-O-TRON
NEVER HAVE TO WORRY ABOUT DISEASE OR PREGNANCY AGAIN
ALL THE FUN* WITH NONE OF THE GUILT

*as there are no connections between you and the FUCK-O-TRON you will experience no real pleasure

tyrannosaurus vex

Sex is such a throwback to the Organic Era, Roger. It has no place in our world these days.
Evil and Unfeeling Arse-Flenser From The City of the Damned.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: v3x on October 03, 2012, 10:34:56 PM

Sex is such a throwback to the Organic Era, Roger. It has no place in our world these days.

Yeah, well just look at me.  Do I LOOK like a modern man?  Hell no.  I'm dragging my fucking knuckles and I've got food all down my shirt.  SHOW ME WHERE THE WIMMENS IS AT!

TGRR,
Breathing though his mouth only.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.