News:

Hand drawn by monkeys in sweat-shop conditions.

Main Menu

Planting seeds

Started by Verbal Mike, June 04, 2008, 05:38:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Verbal Mike

Okay, I'm sick about being a lone lamer with no cabal and no IRL activity... I need to attract the insurgent elements in my city and find possible collaborators... But I have no idea how to go about it... I need ideas, strategies...
I was thinking one possible route would be to create one of those fucked-up "find the clues" websites, with the final "treasure" at the end of the proverbial hunt being a place to leave a message, which I would then be able to read and contact the people who bothered. I would then take appropriate memebombs and go postering with them, each poster showing a tiny link to my silly website...
But that's a fuckload of work. Any ideas that, you know, lazy asses like me can do?
Unless stated otherwise, feel free to copy or reproduce any text I post anywhere and any way you like. I will never throw a hissy-fit over it, promise.

LMNO

go to a bar, and ask every patron if they know who eris is.

repeat as necessary.

Cramulus

1. put your phone number and e-mail address on postergasm materials. Freaks, moreso than other people, tend to notice weird posters [citation needed], and freaks are usually the only ones that reply to them. anyone who's brave enough to call up a dude because he put up a silly poster is probably your kind of freak.

2. check out the web. There's tons of web2.0 applications for various interest groups. Maybe even improveverywhere? I don't know what's popular in your region (Germany, right?), but think like the feaks. Where would they be hanging out and meeting up already? When I lived in Albany I met other weirdoes by attending a pagan gathering listed on meetup.com. It sucked, but at least I found out there were others out there.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

I met people via gaming, counterculture cons etc.
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

NWC

Quote from: Professor Cramulus on June 04, 2008, 06:47:44 PM
1. put your phone number and e-mail address on postergasm materials. Freaks, moreso than other people, tend to notice weird posters [citation needed], and freaks are usually the only ones that reply to them. anyone who's brave enough to call up a dude because he put up a silly poster is probably your kind of freak.

I've been considering this one, especially with the "FOUND CAT" poster, but I'm always paranoid that having my phone number on there will have the police at my doorstep the next morning. I don't know the legalities of putting up posters without the town's permission, but I could see myself getting, at the very least, a warning call form the po-lice telling me not to put up any more posters. I just don't want to attract any official attention to myself. But I'm in the same boat as Verbatim here, I'm longing for collaborators in the area as well. I managed to turn one guy at my school Discordian about 5 hours before I left, and now he's super into it but super far away. I walk around with a messenger bag with the Sacred Chao on it and say Erisian-type things subtly to people who I think might be interested in anything other than MTV, but I'm thinking now that I live in too small and too conservative of a town for there to be many(or any) like-minded individuals around.
I know of some Discordians about 10 miles away, the guys who run Sacred Chao Tattoo and Piercing, but I don't really like them, and I think they're moreso just the "I like to draw Eris on peoples' bodies"-type Discordians, not the kind that want to actually do anything.

On the other hand, the guy who owns it(and the one who gave me my Chao) inks a damn good Eris.

PROSECUTORS WILL BE TRANSGRESSICUTED

Cramulus

Quote from: NWC on June 04, 2008, 07:22:09 PM
I've been considering this one, especially with the "FOUND CAT" poster, but I'm always paranoid that having my phone number on there will have the police at my doorstep the next morning. I don't know the legalities of putting up posters without the town's permission, but I could see myself getting, at the very least, a warning call form the po-lice telling me not to put up any more posters. I just don't want to attract any official attention to myself. But I'm in the same boat as Verbatim here, I'm longing for collaborators in the area as well.

Sounds like you're restricting your own freedoms. A call from the cops means dick. If you want to do something, but you're not doing it because you're afraid of getting a phone call, do yourself a favor and get over it.  :mrgreen: I totally understand being paranoid about putting your info out there in public, but e-mail addresses are fairly untraceable unless they put some serious effort into it.

There are no rewards without risks.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: Professor Cramulus on June 04, 2008, 07:28:46 PM
I've been considering this one, especially with the "FOUND CAT" poster, but I'm always paranoid that having my phone number on there will have the police at my doorstep the next morning. I don't know the legalities of putting up posters without the town's permission, but I could see myself getting, at the very least, a warning call form the po-lice telling me not to put up any more posters. I just don't want to attract any official attention to myself. But I'm in the same boat as Verbatim here, I'm longing for collaborators in the area as well.

Sounds like you're restricting your own freedoms. A call from the cops means dick. If you want to do something, but you're not doing it because you're afraid of getting a phone call, do yourself a favor and get over it.  :mrgreen: I totally understand being paranoid about putting your info out there in public, but e-mail addresses are fairly untraceable unless they put some serious effort into it.

Troof!
:mittens:
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

NWC

Quote from: Professor Cramulus on June 04, 2008, 07:28:46 PM

You should be a motivational speaker. As I just said in your why I postergasm thread, I'm hitting the streets this weekend, and I think my posters will now have an email address on them, at least some of them.

Maybe I'll just make a new email address for it, to quell my paranoia :)

Cramulus

BTW - as to the legality issue - to address that in my region, I've been hanging up copies of the Bill of Rights - the very document which gives you the legal right to do that. As long as you're hanging stuff up in public places and not wallpapering it to storefronts or something, I believe it's legal. But if people are angry enough to trace you down, (unlikely, because taking down posters is EASY) putting up the bill of rights might be a good way of putting doubt in their minds.

I guess that doesn't help verb much though.

off-topic---------------
I was just watching a documentary on iran, and they were talking about how song lyrics need to get approved by the gov't before the song gets recorded. But the "red lines" which bar certain types of concepts in entertainment are very blurry. It's anybody's call whether lyrics about - say - forbidden love will be passed. The government doesn't actually DO that much censorship because the system relies on the music producers censoring themselves to avoid a legal hassle. Food for thought.

/threadjack

Dysfunctional Cunt

I don't put my phone number, just because I don't want people screwing with my minutes, but I do put my email (or rather an email I created) on the bookmarks I do as well as the stickers I put on the busses and at bus stops all over town.

So far all I have heard back from about 20 different people of which about half were christians who thought I needed saving and the rest were local pagans who laughed when they realized it was me.  There were a couple of whackos, but by using my email I can just ignore them.

This weekend is the pagan picnic here in STL.  The kids and I are handing out Pope cards with my email.  We may also do the fortune cookie thing if it isn't too late.  I have to call the bakery and find out.  We'll see what happens.

Verbal Mike

Just to clarify, I'm not looking to turn people on to discordianism. I'm looking for like-minded people to do GASMs or general pranks with.

And I could actually hang out copies of the federal German constitution, people are largely ignorant of it and many states decidedly ignore it in their local regulations. (And judges play along.)
Unless stated otherwise, feel free to copy or reproduce any text I post anywhere and any way you like. I will never throw a hissy-fit over it, promise.

NWC

Quote from: Verbatim on June 04, 2008, 10:30:21 PM
Just to clarify, I'm not looking to turn people on to discordianism. I'm looking for like-minded people to do GASMs or general pranks with.

And I could actually hang out copies of the federal German constitution, people are largely ignorant of it and many states decidedly ignore it in their local regulations. (And judges play along.)

Yeah, I didn't mean to imply Discordian-centric people-finding, I just find that the only people I know who are interested in GASM-type things are Discordian or at least Discordian-minded. I would be more than happy to find compatriots of any 'religious' standing.

Dysfunctional Cunt

Quote from: Verbatim on June 04, 2008, 10:30:21 PM

I understand how you feel.  I'm lucky in that my kids get involved, but otherwise it's just us.  I'm hoping there will be a couple of people interested this weekend.  Most people who I've talked to about it are too scared they will get in trouble to get involved. 

Triple Zero

Quote from: Verbatim on June 04, 2008, 05:38:48 PMOkay, I'm sick about being a lone lamer with no cabal and no IRL activity... I need to attract the insurgent elements in my city and find possible collaborators... But I have no idea how to go about it... I need ideas, strategies...
I was thinking one possible route would be to create one of those fucked-up "find the clues" websites, with the final "treasure" at the end of the proverbial hunt being a place to leave a message, which I would then be able to read and contact the people who bothered. I would then take appropriate memebombs and go postering with them, each poster showing a tiny link to my silly website...
But that's a fuckload of work. Any ideas that, you know, lazy asses like me can do?

i always had the feeling discordianism is more active in Germany than in the Netherlands.

although i may have been moving in the wrong "scenes", at this party on a squatted terrain (called the "Concrete Forest"), there were weirdos/freaks abound, i met a collegue there, and got into a discussion explaining discordianism to him. at one point i noticed a girl next to us eavesdropping on the conversation, i looked at her and she apologized "sorry i just find this interesting" -- unfortunately i didn't have the presence of mind to draw her into the conversation, and turned back to my collegue.

i dunno, but somehow explaining about this weird thing called Discordia, with all the quirks and greek mythology, always makes me feel quite self-conscious, especially given that i like explaining about the projects i'm involved in (the cyberspace masquerade, posterGASM, etc), shows (in a way) that i'm actually serious about some of this weird stuff. but i guess that is the point, or something :)

anyway, Verb, back to your original question. the 23rd anniversary of the Chaos Computer Club, a yearly hackers/technology conference was held in the honour of Discordia, it was a few years back: http://events.ccc.de/congress/2006/Fahrplan/events/1698.en.html

another thing you can try is the german social network sites. at least in the Netherlands we have one discordian "hyves" group (not very active, but i spam my propaganda there). maybe you can find some in your neighbourhood?

further, i've a hard time believing there aren't any active german discordian forums / online communities. have you tried googling, like http://www.google.com/search?q=discordia+forum+site:de&num=50 (seems to return some gothic forums, but maybe you know some better german search terms .. do they spell it diskordia, perhaps?)
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Verbal Mike

They do spell it with a K. (Which is appropriate! HAIL KALLISTI!)
The thought occurred to me a few times to check out the German Discordian online scene but I never really got around to it... I guess I should though, thanks for the reminder.