News:

OK fuckers, let me out of here. I farted for you, what more do you want from me? Jesus fuck.

Main Menu

Obese Third Grader Taken From Parents.....

Started by Dysfunctional Cunt, November 28, 2011, 06:26:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cain

Arranging for people to beat them with sticks would qualify as "hard" also.

Cain,
invested in this idea

Cainad (dec.)

Quote from: Cain on November 29, 2011, 07:43:01 PM

Cain,
invested in this idea

Maybe we can also bring back that old tradition of parading their asses up and down the street while hurling shit at them; I forget what it was called.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Cainad on November 29, 2011, 07:54:32 PM

Cain,
invested in this idea

Maybe we can also bring back that old tradition of parading their asses up and down the street while hurling shit at them; I forget what it was called.

Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on November 29, 2011, 07:56:14 PM

Cain,
invested in this idea

:spittake:
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Cain,
invested in this idea

I am not as opposed to this idea as I probably should be.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Dysfunctional Cunt

Cain,
invested in this idea

:spittake:

That, my friend, was the post of this century!!!!

Cainad (dec.)

Cain,
invested in this idea

:lulz: :mittens:

Roly Poly Oly-Garch

Quote from: Jenne on November 29, 2011, 07:34:17 PM
Quote from: NoLeDeMiel on November 29, 2011, 07:21:01 PM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on November 28, 2011, 09:43:26 PM
Quote from: Nigel on November 28, 2011, 09:42:26 PM
Wow, I am very torn.

It reminds me of the cases recently where people were convicted and imprisoned for not getting medical help for their children because it was against their religion.

Slippery slope, yes. But I am torn. My eight-year-old weighs about 60 pounds. 200 lbs on an 8 year old is insane, and the child has a life-threatening medical problem as a result of his severe obesity. At what point should an agency try to intervene? Where do they draw the line? It seems like the medical condition is where they drew the line, and I think that may be a valid place for it.

Yeah, I see your point, but it makes me really uncomfortable.

This one, I don't like.

Read the original article to get a little more information and it just smacks of "making an example of". Can you remove a kid for being dangerously fat and the parents not having it together to do anything about it? Yes. This just doesn't look exactly that way.

The kid was losing weight, doing well, then shot up "rapidly". Not sure what rapidly means but if he's that big, it's not inconceivable for him to tack on 10-20 pounds over the course of a month without it being a sign that the parents have completely fallen off the program. And what is the state spending on foster care? Obviously, Mom has some serious ignorance obstacles to overcome, and something a little bit more intense then weekly group meetings are probably called for. The last few lines in the original article said that the foster parent is having trouble keeping up with the meetings and all the care the kid needs so the state's looking at providing her some extra assistance. That just sits, very, very wrong.

Too much experience around the foster care system to think that anything short of life or death makes that a good alternative. I've even helped friends emancipate because making their way at 15 on their own is wiser than subjecting them to the wide variety of horrors foster-care offers. Until all other options were exhausted, I just can't see how this is in any way good for that kid.

Again, taking him out of the home wasn't their first step in getting him help, it was just the latest. 

Also, what's your degree in, again?  Do you have experience in biology and pediatrics?  Do tell.

Lastly, what next step would you like to see, then?  In-home therapy?  Big brother watching the mom make her meals?  What?  What can be done, then?

Actually, yeah. Intensive intervention. Big brother, the whole 9. If my kid's life is on the line, and I'm seriously struggling against the wall of trying to change a generation or two or three of habits after just a 12 week course, I'd consider a big brother presence like that a life-saver. It's not unprecedented, either. Kids with serious behavioral disorders are often shadowed 10-12 hours a day. I don't think that taking the kid out of the home should ever be the "latest" step, it should only ever be the last. That's just something that cannot be undone...and that's group homes, runaway "shelters", a longtime friendship with a veteran of 11 foster homes in a 6 year period, a marriage to a social worker, a long and respectful relationship with the county foster-care coordinator and a current relationship with a woman who is second in charge of a rather large organization that assists abused and neglected children, talking. The 20 pound comment, was just an ex fat-boy, who's done it. No credentials, just stretch marks.

I was probably hasty in the conclusion that CPS was trying to set a precedent or something, but there are very few cases of this on the record so it's not unreasonable to assume that lines are still being drawn and procedures are still being laid down. The fact that the state is considering assigning an assistant to the foster care provider, just tells me that maybe there was a whole lot more that could have been done before it came to this. I'm not about to say that removing a kid from a situation that is hopeless and life-threatening in this way isn't called for, just that given what limited information is available, it seems hasty in this case.
Back to the fecal matter in the pool

Jenne

When is it prudent then?  What time frame suits you best?

Here's what I see:  a lot of Monday-morning quarterbacking ITT.  Like it or not, there ARE people out there invested in the child's interests and seeing him un-become a statistic.  I cheer those folks on if they are led by doing right by him.  And again, I see no indication this hasn't gone on.

Meanwhile, a year later, his mother's still overfeeding him to death.

Dysfunctional Cunt

I am from a family of short fat bog hoppers.  They all came over from Ireland except my parents.  I never understood how they could be as fat as they are considering all the talk about how there was no food in Ireland.

In any event, yes, some people have thyrhoid issues which will effect their weight, however I don't think people are predisposed to be fat, they are trained to eat fattening foods from practically birth because they eat what their parents eat.  They are trained to be lazy because they see their parents sitting on their asses doing nothing.  Not to mention that these days with the price of food, it is cheaper to cook pasta, potatos, bread is filling, cheese is filling and a WIC item, hamburger is cheaper than ground chuck, chicken thighs are cheaper than breasts.  They have shown this repeatedly. Lower income families are more likely to be overweight.  Not because they are lazy, but because fattening food is cheaper.

I said in my comment a page back, that a medical reason was certainly something that a Dr needs to address, however, as you can see by the 2010 statistics, more and more kids are overweight or obese.  

Of course we could just take the attitude that this is a self inflicted disease and refuse medical treatment to those who refuse dietary therapy.  That would solve quite a few problems including over population.

Of course, if you did that, then anything self inflicted would be subject to refusal of medical treatment which would again, help with over population, but piss a ot of people off.  Stomach pumpings would be damn near obsolete.  The problem would be when someone wrecked their car and received a ticket for being at fault, is that person refused treatment?  Technically if the accident were their fault it would be self inflicted.

Dysfunctional Cunt

So we fund fat camps and rehab for fatties?

Seriously?

The parents are GROWN UPS.  They have the ability to make an instantaneous change in their lives IF THEY CHOOSE TO DO SO.  Not doing so is neglect of their child's health.

No, I don't want fat kids in the system for being fat, I do however want to see soemthing done or we will all be on those fucking scooters....

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: NoLeDeMiel on November 29, 2011, 08:14:57 PM
Quote from: Jenne on November 29, 2011, 07:34:17 PM
Quote from: NoLeDeMiel on November 29, 2011, 07:21:01 PM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on November 28, 2011, 09:43:26 PM
Quote from: Nigel on November 28, 2011, 09:42:26 PM
Wow, I am very torn.

It reminds me of the cases recently where people were convicted and imprisoned for not getting medical help for their children because it was against their religion.

Slippery slope, yes. But I am torn. My eight-year-old weighs about 60 pounds. 200 lbs on an 8 year old is insane, and the child has a life-threatening medical problem as a result of his severe obesity. At what point should an agency try to intervene? Where do they draw the line? It seems like the medical condition is where they drew the line, and I think that may be a valid place for it.

Yeah, I see your point, but it makes me really uncomfortable.

This one, I don't like.

Read the original article to get a little more information and it just smacks of "making an example of". Can you remove a kid for being dangerously fat and the parents not having it together to do anything about it? Yes. This just doesn't look exactly that way.

The kid was losing weight, doing well, then shot up "rapidly". Not sure what rapidly means but if he's that big, it's not inconceivable for him to tack on 10-20 pounds over the course of a month without it being a sign that the parents have completely fallen off the program. And what is the state spending on foster care? Obviously, Mom has some serious ignorance obstacles to overcome, and something a little bit more intense then weekly group meetings are probably called for. The last few lines in the original article said that the foster parent is having trouble keeping up with the meetings and all the care the kid needs so the state's looking at providing her some extra assistance. That just sits, very, very wrong.

Too much experience around the foster care system to think that anything short of life or death makes that a good alternative. I've even helped friends emancipate because making their way at 15 on their own is wiser than subjecting them to the wide variety of horrors foster-care offers. Until all other options were exhausted, I just can't see how this is in any way good for that kid.

Again, taking him out of the home wasn't their first step in getting him help, it was just the latest. 

Also, what's your degree in, again?  Do you have experience in biology and pediatrics?  Do tell.

Lastly, what next step would you like to see, then?  In-home therapy?  Big brother watching the mom make her meals?  What?  What can be done, then?

Actually, yeah. Intensive intervention. Big brother, the whole 9. If my kid's life is on the line, and I'm seriously struggling against the wall of trying to change a generation or two or three of habits after just a 12 week course, I'd consider a big brother presence like that a life-saver. It's not unprecedented, either. Kids with serious behavioral disorders are often shadowed 10-12 hours a day. I don't think that taking the kid out of the home should ever be the "latest" step, it should only ever be the last. That's just something that cannot be undone...and that's group homes, runaway "shelters", a longtime friendship with a veteran of 11 foster homes in a 6 year period, a marriage to a social worker, a long and respectful relationship with the county foster-care coordinator and a current relationship with a woman who is second in charge of a rather large organization that assists abused and neglected children, talking. The 20 pound comment, was just an ex fat-boy, who's done it. No credentials, just stretch marks.

I was probably hasty in the conclusion that CPS was trying to set a precedent or something, but there are very few cases of this on the record so it's not unreasonable to assume that lines are still being drawn and procedures are still being laid down. The fact that the state is considering assigning an assistant to the foster care provider, just tells me that maybe there was a whole lot more that could have been done before it came to this. I'm not about to say that removing a kid from a situation that is hopeless and life-threatening in this way isn't called for, just that given what limited information is available, it seems hasty in this case.

I am very, very far from being a Libertarian, but you seem to be saying that if people won't make the changes that they are told they must make, shown how to make, and then given a year of continuing guidance in making, that when they fail to make those changes AT ALL, the government should then send in a team to live in fat people's homes and make sure they eat right and exercise?

:lulz: I'm sorry. But wow.