News:

In my heart I knew that rotten testicles and inflamed penises were on the way.

Main Menu

Boy am I thankful that the Democrats are in charge of congress now...

Started by East Coast Hustle, December 13, 2009, 06:17:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

East Coast Hustle

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/12/10/new-dems-extract-big-win_n_386787.html

QuoteThe compromise reached late Wednesday between pro-reform House Democrats and the banker-friendly wing of the party could significantly weaken consumer protection in states where lawmakers support tougher rules against tactics such as predatory lending and excessive ATM fees than historically submissive federal regulators.

Melissa Bean of Illinois and her fellow members of the New Democrat Coalition -- who have collectively accepted massive amounts of money from the financial services industry since 2008 -- temporarily blocked the landmark financial regulatory reform bill from hitting the House floor on Wednesday.

:lulz:

Meet the new boss, same as the old boss.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Cain

I kinda expected them to be bad, but, you know, I think I was insufficiently cynical about exactly how bad they would be.  There is incompetent and pandering, and then there is absolutely shameless.  We moved into the latter at least a year ago.

Elder Iptuous

It's appalling to me that the perception of two parties remains the way it does in the eyes of the public....

Da6s

Quote from: Hangshai on December 14, 2009, 05:00:59 AM
Glad I never finished college now...

2 posts left.

Be wary of statements like that.

Can you hear them sharpening their fangs? I can.

:popcorn:
We appear to be doomed by our DNA to repeat the same destructive behaviors our forebears have repeated for millenia. If anything our problem solving skills have actually diminished with the advent of technology & our ubiquitous modern conveniences. & yet despite our predisposition towards fear-driven hostility; towards what we anachronistically term primitive behavior another instinct is just as firmly encoded in our make-up. We are capable as our ancestors were of incredible breathtaking acts of kindness. Every hour of every day a man risks his life at a moments notice to save another. Forget for a moment the belligerent benevolent billionaires who grant the unfortunate a crumb of costfree cake. I speak of pure acts of selflessness. A Mother who rushes into the street to save a child from a speeding vehicle. A person who runs into a burning building to reach a family trapped on the upper story. Such actions,such moments,such unconscious selfless decisions,define what it is to be human

Freeky

Quote from: Da6s on December 14, 2009, 05:04:44 AM
Quote from: Hangshai on December 14, 2009, 05:00:59 AM
Glad I never finished college now...

2 posts left.

Be wary of statements like that.

Can you hear them sharpening their fangs? I can.

:popcorn:

I'm sure he has a good explanation for the statement.

Can you elaborate for us, Hangshai? I am personally kicking myself in the ass that I didn't try and do a better job when I took classes. How is it a good thing I did not?

Golden Applesauce

Quote from: Hangshai on December 14, 2009, 05:28:53 AM
I learned about seven years ago that politics dont matter and that business interests have been influencing political policy in this country since about day 1 (just read about the Virginia Colony and Shay's Rebellion and take it from there.  In fact this country was FOUND while looking for faster trade routes), and that TPTB dont have the 'little mans' interest at heart.

WHAT.

What do you mean when you say "politics don't matter" ?  Just off the top of my head, life has gotten a lot harder for immigrants in the US since being tough on illegal immigration became a safe political position (again.)  Families have been (and continue to be) ripped apart when husbands are forcibly deported and their American-born children stay behind.

Business interests have been influencing public policy world-wide since before the concept of the modern business.  It's not some shocking hidden conspiracy.  I'm not sure how you could have lived 40+ years without realizing this.

"This country" (I assume you mean USA) was not found while looking for trade routes.  Europeans found the Americas while looking for trade routes (among other things) but the USA didn't exist at that time.

We are cattle, the nuclear family is a CIA plot, and now that the world SEEMS like its about to hit a massive shit-storm for the next few years, im glad that now I decided to quit college and Im not losing some job that I worked the past 30 years trying to get myself to.

The nuclear family predates the CIA by at least a few hundred years.

It sounds like your reasoning about college is entirely based on whether it gets you a job.  I guess that works for you, but there are plenty of other reasons to attend college.  Namely, to facilitate getting an Education, which is a valuable thing in its own right.
Q: How regularly do you hire 8th graders?
A: We have hired a number of FORMER 8th graders.

Dimocritus

Quote from: GA on December 14, 2009, 07:56:01 AM
It sounds like your reasoning about college is entirely based on whether it gets you a job.  I guess that works for you, but there are plenty of other reasons to attend college.  Namely, to facilitate getting an Education, which is a valuable thing in its own right.

Golden!

I think that's the only real reason to go.
HOUSE OF GABCab ~ "caecus plumbum caecus"

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Iptuous on December 14, 2009, 04:23:33 AM
It's appalling to me that the perception of two parties remains the way it does in the eyes of the public....

Nobody has ever gone broke overestimating the stupidity of the general public.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Freeky

Quote from: Hangshai on December 16, 2009, 05:09:47 PM
wasnt it a quote I saw on this forum that said "if you want an education, go to the library, if you want sex, go to college"....

Nope. Not those words anyway, if the gist is here. A search with that quote only brings up your post.

Elder Iptuous

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on December 16, 2009, 06:14:42 PM
Quote from: Iptuous on December 14, 2009, 04:23:33 AM

Nobody has ever gone broke overestimating the stupidity of the general public.

Yeah... I need to figure out a good way to tap into the cosmic flow of stupid to generate some wealth.

LMNO

Quote from: Hangshai on December 16, 2009, 06:44:59 PM
Information is not knowledge. Knowledge is not wisdom. Wisdom is not truth. Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love. Love is not music. Music is THE BEST.

:cn:

"Joe's Garage" doesn't count.

The Johnny

Going to school gets your personal ideas questioned or if in corcondance, it gives you a context to where they originated or to compare them to.

My 2 years in college have helped me systematize my ideas, helped me express them, and has exposed me to criticism, and also running into authors that have developed a subject broadly that interests me while i just have the schematics is useful.

And hell, why restate something as innovative if its been said before? Having knowledge of whats been said and done before gives us the oportunity to continue where the last guy kicked off.

I guess thats what one could call the "social" component to learning, which you dont get by reading on your own.

But then again, if you only care about "money-making", why should it matter?
<<My image in some places, is of a monster of some kind who wants to pull a string and manipulate people. Nothing could be further from the truth. People are manipulated; I just want them to be manipulated more effectively.>>

-B.F. Skinner

Requia ☣

Going to school will get you that whether you finish or not though.
Inflatable dolls are not recognized flotation devices.

Hangshai

All text and pictures uploaded by/to/from this person/account is/are purely fictional and for entertainment purposes only. Or not.