News:

MysticWicks endorsement: "In other words, Discordianism, like postmodernism, means never having to say your sorry."

Main Menu

UK General Election 8th June: Shake it all about?

Started by Vanadium Gryllz, February 23, 2016, 02:54:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Junkenstein

Quote from: SuuCal on June 24, 2016, 06:20:51 AM
And tomorrow, Trump will come on television and tell all the America that he has a plan. A good plan. The best plan to deal with the fallout of Brexit. He has the best guys on it. You'll see.

Ahem

QuoteUS presidential hopeful Donald Trump has said it is a "great thing" that the people of the UK have "taken back their country" in voting to leave the EU.

QuoteComedian Simon Brodkin later disrupted Mr Trump's news conference by waving golf balls with a swastika on them.

Quote"People are angry all over the world. They're angry over borders, they're angry over people coming into the country and taking over and nobody even knows who they are.
"They're angry about many, many things in the UK, the US and many other places. This will not be the last."

So it's looking like a full blown shitshow ahead. Morgan Stanley are apparently shifting 2000 staff out of London. Apparently China are still keen to trade with us. Obviously they would never capitalise of a bad situation and force out some quick one-sided trade deals to allow whoever to claim that everything's all right. 

In about 6 months when we've suffered Boris for a while and the plans for the NHS are openly on the table, I doubt many will be as keen. For fucks sake, in less than 6 months it'll be cold again and people across the UK will shit themselves at the heating bills.

I'm fairly tempted to shift back home for a while to be honest. I've seen a shocking (even for me) degree of racism over the past few months and this is essentially a license to continue. I'm pretty sure this will escalate over the next few weeks too.

Faust/Cain, I'm not fully up on the Irish situation, but does this have a bad feel to you? I can't see border crossing and a trump style wall getting shoved around Northern Ireland and surely some elements there would (strongly) object to such a thing? 

Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

Faust

Both Northern Ireland and the Republic are saying there will be no need for the boarders to reopen, which is good, but will piss off the Farage types, as it will be viewed as a back door into the UK.

It's convenient for everyone actually living in the Republic and Northern Ireland though as it means those who commute between the two wont have to go through the tedium of a border check every time.

In fact since the borders were removed however many years ago, new roads cross diagonally between the north and south so for instance if I wanted to drive to Donegal from Dublin, there's a small section in the north, so you'd need two boarder checks(In and out) for an hours drive.

I am really really scared about violence kicking off up there again though.
Sleepless nights at the chateau

Junkenstein

As much as I wish it wasn't the case, I'm even more sure now that various violent acts are inevitable. I know it's anecdotal but I've literally heard over a dozen people today express less than enlightened opinions.

For me, it's not "if", it's when and where.

Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

Cain

I'm hoping the progress that has happened over the past decade in Northern Ireland will mean Sinn Fein and the Unionists are willing to discuss this through peaceful means.

But all it could take is one with idiot with a pipe bomb...you know how things go from there.

Junk, do you mean violence in England?  I'm worried if the economic turmoil continues, we could be looking at riots.  Also, with Boris et al suggesting things go slow (which is the right thing...as right as anything can be right now) I can see various idiot sorts looking for their instant "kick the foreigners out" gratification.

I'd just like to note, on a personal level, this completely screws my parents retirement plan.  They had hoped, if the pound remained strong, to return to Australia and make use of the value discrepnancy.  Failing that, their idea was to move to Malta, due to a similar climate and cost of living.  But now the pound is in freefall and Malta's no longer an option.  So thanks, Brexiters.  You haven't screwed my family over as badly as some others, but you've definitely fucked things up.

Cain

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-36611512

QuoteAs well as the banks, the housebuilding sector was also badly hit, with shares in Bovis Homes down more than 20% in afternoon trading.

"Financials and housebuilders are bearing the brunt of the pain, with Lloyds Bank being one of the biggest fallers," said Laith Khalaf, senior analyst at Hargreaves Lansdown, highlighting Lloyds' 21% slump.

"It's probably safe to say the public sale of the bank is now firmly in the long grass, and the return to full private ownership of both Lloyds and RBS has been knocked off course."

The Bank of England said it was "monitoring developments closely" and would take "all necessary steps" to support monetary stability.

In New York, the Dow Jones fell 2.6%, more than 400 points, in the opening minutes.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-36617918

QuoteBoris Johnson, a key figure in the Leave campaign was booed by an angry crowd as he left his north London home.

The volatile scenes came after the UK voted to leave the European Union.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-36618796

QuoteThe Spanish government has called for joint sovereignty over Gibraltar in the wake of the UK's vote to leave the EU.

The British overseas territory of 30,000 voted overwhelmingly for remain, with 95.9% opting to stay in the union.

"The Spanish flag on the Rock is much closer than before," Spain's acting Foreign Minister Jose Manuel Garcia-Margallo said on Friday.

Gibraltar has been a British territory since 1713 but Spain continues to claim sovereignty over the enclave.

At the entrance to the Mediterranean, Gibraltar relies heavily on its shared EU border with Spain for trade.

In a radio interview, Mr Garcia-Margallo said: "It's a complete change of outlook that opens up new possibilities on Gibraltar not seen for a very long time.

"I hope the formula of co-sovereignty - to be clear, the Spanish flag on the Rock - is much closer than before."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-36621777

QuoteTwo Labour MPs have submitted a motion of no confidence in Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn.

Dame Margaret Hodge and Ann Coffey confirmed the move in a letter to the Parliamentary Labour Party chairman.

The motion has no formal constitutional force but calls for a discussion at their next PLP meeting on Monday.

It will be up to the PLP chairman to decide whether it is debated. If accepted it would be followed by a secret ballot of Labour MPs on Tuesday.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/business-36561095

QuoteStock markets around the world sink following the UK's decision to leave the European Union, as the pound tanks.

Suu

Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Cain

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-switch/wp/2016/06/24/the-british-are-frantically-googling-what-the-eu-is-hours-after-voting-to-leave-it/

Quotehe whole world is reeling after a milestone referendum in Britain to leave the European Union. And although leaders of the campaign to exit Europe are crowing over their victory, it seems many Britons may not even know what they had actually voted for.

Awakening to a stock market plunge and a precipitous decline in the value of the pound that Britain hasn't seen in more than 30 years, voters now face a series of economic shocks that analysts say will only worsen before they improve. The consequences of the leave vote will be felt worldwide, even here in the United States, and some British voters say they now regret casting a ballot in favor of Brexit.

[Live updates: Britain votes to leave the European Union]

"Even though I voted to leave, this morning I woke up and I just — the reality did actually hit me," one woman told the news channel ITV News. "If I'd had the opportunity to vote again, it would be to stay."

That confusion over what Brexit might mean for the country's economy appears to have been reflected across the United Kingdom on Thursday. Google reported sharp upticks in searches not only related to the ballot measure but also about basic questions concerning the implications of the vote. At about 1 a.m. Eastern time, about eight hours after the polls closed, Google reported that searches for "what happens if we leave the EU" had more than tripled.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Cain on June 24, 2016, 04:49:04 PM
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-switch/wp/2016/06/24/the-british-are-frantically-googling-what-the-eu-is-hours-after-voting-to-leave-it/

Quotehe whole world is reeling after a milestone referendum in Britain to leave the European Union. And although leaders of the campaign to exit Europe are crowing over their victory, it seems many Britons may not even know what they had actually voted for.

Awakening to a stock market plunge and a precipitous decline in the value of the pound that Britain hasn't seen in more than 30 years, voters now face a series of economic shocks that analysts say will only worsen before they improve. The consequences of the leave vote will be felt worldwide, even here in the United States, and some British voters say they now regret casting a ballot in favor of Brexit.

"Even though I voted to leave, this morning I woke up and I just — the reality did actually hit me," one woman told the news channel ITV News. "If I'd had the opportunity to vote again, it would be to stay."

That confusion over what Brexit might mean for the country's economy appears to have been reflected across the United Kingdom on Thursday. Google reported sharp upticks in searches not only related to the ballot measure but also about basic questions concerning the implications of the vote. At about 1 a.m. Eastern time, about eight hours after the polls closed, Google reported that searches for "what happens if we leave the EU" had more than tripled.

That is a very American concept of how and when to educate yourself on a vote.  :lulz:
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Suu

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on June 24, 2016, 04:52:57 PM
Quote from: Cain on June 24, 2016, 04:49:04 PM

That is a very American concept of how and when to educate yourself on a vote.  :lulz:

This is the fucking shit I expected to see.
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Cain

"Oh no, my vote actually counted?"

"Oh no, the EU does more than send DIRTY IMMIGRANTS to the UK every day?"

Fuck these people.  Fuck them with a sharp stick.  They had their chance, and they chose to abrogate their duty to be a good citizen and learn the basics of the country they live in and outsource the whole process to a gaggle of rightwing press barons.  They're getting everything they deserve.

Freeky

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Cain on June 24, 2016, 05:02:17 PM
"Oh no, my vote actually counted?"

"Oh no, the EU does more than send DIRTY IMMIGRANTS to the UK every day?"

Fuck these people.  Fuck them with a sharp stick.  They had their chance, and they chose to abrogate their duty to be a good citizen and learn the basics of the country they live in and outsource the whole process to a gaggle of rightwing press barons.  They're getting everything they deserve.

Yeah, that is exactly my feeling when people in Kentucky start to bitch that NOTHING WORKS.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

The Good Reverend Roger

The thing is, too many people view their vote as a means by which to piss off the other side.  And then they are shocked that real things happen.

This is pretty much exactly how Arizona operates.

Cain

I'm sort of looking forward to everyone suddenly realising we're going to have to untangle 40+ years of laws, legislations and working practices and rebuild them from scratch and it's going to be as messy as fuck.

LMNO

I'm really curious how Gibraltar is gonna work itself out.

That, and what happens to all the Brits currently living and working in various EU countries.