News:

In North Korea, this forum wouldn't be banned, it would be revered and taught in schools as a palatable and preferable version of Western history. And in many ways, that's all the truth the children of North Korea need

Main Menu

Open Bar: Arguments About Turtles, All the Way Down

Started by Cain, August 09, 2014, 07:29:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Junkenstein

Quote from: Cain on August 27, 2014, 11:16:44 AM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on August 26, 2014, 07:56:06 PM
Quote from: Cain on August 26, 2014, 07:53:29 PM
Every day I could be OK with.  But it's every second or third day, with a late shift thrown in randomly between the two somewhere.  Consistent sleep schedule ruined.

Yeah, I quit a job once because of that.  I was on the 3-11:30 PM shift, and every Saturday the boss wanted all 3 shifts in at 6 AM to do preventative maintenance.  1st shift was on their regular schedule, 3rd shift just had to stay over, 2nd shift took it in the ass.  It effectively ruined my weekend, every weekend.

My last job was notorious for that.  One guy I was working with cracked a joke at the expense of the nurse in charge of the rota, and he ended up doing Saturday overnight shifts for a month.  He has kids and this was the start of the summer holidays, so it was pretty much entirely designed to screw over his life.

Classy. "We're not going to sack you, just make your life intolerable until you quit or do something I can call gross misconduct".

I think my worst working shift was at a place that wanted me to market their (remarkably inferior) product. To Australia. And the USA. On alternating days. Did I mention that they weren't able to sell a single unit in the UK? And that said product had long standing established competitors in these regions? Did I mention that said product was around twice the price with a fraction of the functionality?

I think I lasted about a week or so before realising just how fucked my body was and just how crappy the product was. Great place to quit. Boss was shocked to learn about how little potential and future they had.

They went bang about six weeks later. I decided to start vetting potential employers and their products/services a lot more closely.

Everyone learnt something, so that's a plus.
Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

minuspace

Weather took a pylon off the pier today.  What chaos.  Tsunami lookouts deployed.  Central wants shifts stationed to check sea levels from the parking lot.  Seeds of doom are blowing in the wind.  It's all too late for this.

Roly Poly Oly-Garch

My old home tops the list of safest places to drive...Boston bottoms:

http://www.allstate.com/resources/Allstate/attachments/tools-and-resources/ABD-Report-2014.pdf

Portland comes in the lower quarter (177 out of 200). I have contributed to that.
Back to the fecal matter in the pool

rong

Quote from: The Right Reverend Nigel on August 25, 2014, 08:30:03 AM
Quote from: rong on August 24, 2014, 10:47:40 PM
I bought a truck.

A diesel that smokes like a... uh... It smokes a lot.

I think I figured out why but I'm stuck at work and can't work on it and it's driving me crazy.

the funny thing is that, i'm pretty sure the reason that my truck is smoking is because it is retarded, literally

What kind of truck?

--Nigel, fapping.

'93 F250 Super Cab Long Box 7.3L IDI Diesel 5 speed manual.  Its seriously like 20 feet long. 

I advanced the timing a bunch and now it only smokes like a diesel is supposed to.
"a real smart feller, he felt smart"

Roly Poly Oly-Garch

Quote from: The Right Reverend Nigel on August 27, 2014, 03:13:13 AM
Also, I strongly suspect that I am falling in love, which is a bit disquieting. But I finished off another term with a 4.0 and I'll be starting a new term again soon enough to hopefully head off having time for it to really go anywhere. Love is nothing but trouble.

Well if you don't fall in love with him, I will, and then what? Do you really want to see the world where "The Triangle" becomes the new "9/11"? Where 30 years after the event, people are still trying to clean bits of food-cart burrito and matted hair from the scorched remains of their once great institutions? 

I think you really just need to take one for the team here, Nigel.
Back to the fecal matter in the pool

Suu

Quote from: NoLeDeMiel on August 27, 2014, 02:25:12 PM

http://www.allstate.com/resources/Allstate/attachments/tools-and-resources/ABD-Report-2014.pdf

Portland comes in the lower quarter (177 out of 200). I have contributed to that.

This isn't news for anyone who lives in New England. I take my life into my own hands every time I get behind the wheel.
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: The Suu on August 27, 2014, 04:14:53 PM

This isn't news for anyone who lives in New England. I take my life into my own hands every time I get behind the wheel.

That's because You People are all CRAZY.  I have been there twice, and I wouldn't trust ANY of you bastards with anything more than one of those Shriner cars.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I've driven all the fuck over the western United States between the West Coast and Texas, and select patches of New England, and the only place I have ever been terrified for my life on the road was Boston.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: NoLeDeMiel on August 27, 2014, 03:57:12 PM
Quote from: The Right Reverend Nigel on August 27, 2014, 03:13:13 AM
Also, I strongly suspect that I am falling in love, which is a bit disquieting. But I finished off another term with a 4.0 and I'll be starting a new term again soon enough to hopefully head off having time for it to really go anywhere. Love is nothing but trouble.

Well if you don't fall in love with him, I will, and then what? Do you really want to see the world where "The Triangle" becomes the new "9/11"? Where 30 years after the event, people are still trying to clean bits of food-cart burrito and matted hair from the scorched remains of their once great institutions? 

I think you really just need to take one for the team here, Nigel.

:lulz: :lulz: :lulz:

Yeah but love is scary and I was drunk last night so my fear of commitment was rising to the surface.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: rong on August 27, 2014, 02:28:13 PM
Quote from: The Right Reverend Nigel on August 25, 2014, 08:30:03 AM
Quote from: rong on August 24, 2014, 10:47:40 PM
I bought a truck.

A diesel that smokes like a... uh... It smokes a lot.

I think I figured out why but I'm stuck at work and can't work on it and it's driving me crazy.

the funny thing is that, i'm pretty sure the reason that my truck is smoking is because it is retarded, literally

What kind of truck?

--Nigel, fapping.

'93 F250 Super Cab Long Box 7.3L IDI Diesel 5 speed manual.  Its seriously like 20 feet long. 

I advanced the timing a bunch and now it only smokes like a diesel is supposed to.

Niiice! I have a bit of a Ford truck fetish but it's generally localized to fifth and sixth generation.

LMNO

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on August 27, 2014, 04:52:25 PM

That's because You People are all CRAZY.  I have been there twice, and I wouldn't trust ANY of you bastards with anything more than one of those Shriner cars.

You're just not SERIOUS about having a good time.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on August 27, 2014, 05:07:15 PM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on August 27, 2014, 04:52:25 PM

You're just not SERIOUS about having a good time.

I almost got run over at the train station.  Not in the street by the train station.  I was at the train station, safely on the sidewalk (ha HAha hahahahaHAHAHAHA), and damn near got squished.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

LMNO

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on August 27, 2014, 05:12:52 PM
That's just Boston's way of saying "hello".

Tucson does the same thing, but it (usually) waits until you're in traffic.  There are rules.

Cainad (dec.)

Worcester, MA at the very bottom. I FUCKING KNEW IT.

Massachusetts is the only place where I've experienced bad driving that could reasonably be described as "evil." Mostly in Worcester.