News:

If you can't abuse it, it's not power.

Main Menu

Why has Feminism become a Dirty Word? and Other Misogyny on the Internet.

Started by Pope Pixie Pickle, June 14, 2012, 03:55:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

For the most part, mainstream feminism is also about freedom for men, about freeing men from constrictive  gender roles that constrain their expression of emotions and nurturing and the social acceptability of men being free to be homemakers or whatever else they aspire to be. That's kind of the point. In a big way.

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Pæs

What Nigel said.

Also, the best thing about the Good Men Project is that they published my friend's troll post.

http://goodmenproject.com/the-good-life/100-acts-of-male-goodness/47-the-fireman/

Quote#47: The Fireman

It was a typical afternoon in the firehouse. Me, Danny and Pete were sat around playing five card stud, drinking cold soda and dreaming of hot pizza. The alarm went off. We folded and sprung into action.

The next thing you know, we're into the fire truck and out the door. I still get that rumble in my stomach whenever the firetruck goes really fast. I wasn't driving that day, so as we sped down the streets, I made sure to give the thumbs-up to any young boys who saw us. I was trying to catch a glimpse of the fireman dream in a boy's eyes, wondering what sort of men he would become. Did his father love them? Did he even have a father? It's hard not to wonder such things when you're speeding down the street in a big red fire truck. It makes you contemplative and—I don't mind saying—a little bit wistful .

With a screech of brakes, we arrive at the fire. It is a house fire in a pretty swanky part of town, and well under way. Sometimes these rich bastards can rub me up the wrong way. I break my back working for this department and I never had no trust fund. And the only 'hedge fund' I manage is the one where I save up to buy new hedge clippers.

I see that Gary and Lou have the hose held in place. I wrench the water on and it comes gushing from the big hose like a snake throwing up a stream of moles. This is us, doing our job as fire fighters. We are fighting a fire. This is what it is all about. This is what it feels like to be a fireman.

I hear what sounds like a baby crying. I imagine his discomfort from the heat and perhaps experiencing the first signs of smoke inhalation. I run into the rich bastard's house and save the baby.

Everyone was very pleased with me for saving the baby, so I called my dad for the first time in 20 years. He said he was proud of me.

I was a man.

That night as I was having a beer with my dad I knew that he knew that I was a man. I didn't need him to say it. We were just both men. This is what is what it feels like to be a good man.

—Tony G.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Pæs on March 31, 2014, 05:14:31 AM
What Nigel said.

Also, the best thing about the Good Men Project is that they published my friend's troll post.

http://goodmenproject.com/the-good-life/100-acts-of-male-goodness/47-the-fireman/

It was a typical afternoon in the firehouse. Me, Danny and Pete were sat around playing five card stud, drinking cold soda and dreaming of hot pizza. The alarm went off. We folded and sprung into action.

The next thing you know, we're into the fire truck and out the door. I still get that rumble in my stomach whenever the firetruck goes really fast. I wasn't driving that day, so as we sped down the streets, I made sure to give the thumbs-up to any young boys who saw us. I was trying to catch a glimpse of the fireman dream in a boy's eyes, wondering what sort of men he would become. Did his father love them? Did he even have a father? It's hard not to wonder such things when you're speeding down the street in a big red fire truck. It makes you contemplative and—I don't mind saying—a little bit wistful .

With a screech of brakes, we arrive at the fire. It is a house fire in a pretty swanky part of town, and well under way. Sometimes these rich bastards can rub me up the wrong way. I break my back working for this department and I never had no trust fund. And the only 'hedge fund' I manage is the one where I save up to buy new hedge clippers.

I see that Gary and Lou have the hose held in place. I wrench the water on and it comes gushing from the big hose like a snake throwing up a stream of moles. This is us, doing our job as fire fighters. We are fighting a fire. This is what it is all about. This is what it feels like to be a fireman.

I hear what sounds like a baby crying. I imagine his discomfort from the heat and perhaps experiencing the first signs of smoke inhalation. I run into the rich bastard's house and save the baby.

Everyone was very pleased with me for saving the baby, so I called my dad for the first time in 20 years. He said he was proud of me.

I was a man.

That night as I was having a beer with my dad I knew that he knew that I was a man. I didn't need him to say it. We were just both men. This is what is what it feels like to be a good man.

—Tony G.

:lulz:
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I'm pretty sure this has been posted before, but it's relevant to the discussion, as it's a project by a feminist filmmaker who is advocating for boys: https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=hc45-ptHMxo

Aucoq

Quote from: Pæs on March 31, 2014, 05:14:31 AM
What Nigel said.

I was a man.

—Tony G.

:lulz: :lulz: :lulz:
"All of the world's leading theologists agree only on the notion that God hates no-fault insurance."

Horrid and Sticky Llama Wrangler of Last Week's Forbidden Desire.