News:

Can anyone ever be sufficiently committed to Sparkle Motion?

Main Menu

I can't summon the energy to care about Ukraine..

Started by Cain, December 18, 2013, 01:46:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Faust

Quote from: popeurmom on March 04, 2014, 02:50:49 PM
Quote from: Faust on March 04, 2014, 02:48:51 PM
Quote from: popeurmom on March 04, 2014, 02:44:01 PM
Quote from: Cain on March 04, 2014, 02:41:46 PM
Shame you can't type comprehensibly.

Sucks that you continuously resort to ad hominem.

Well you did boil down a former Soviet union, with many different power plays going on to a one liner.

Perhaps I could have made it a paragraph instead of a sentence, like my good friend did, then. Maybe that would have appeased your need for more text.

My purpose was not to "boil down a former Soviet Union", but to show an irrationality in Cain's thought process.

Negotiation for a pipe to run across my borders does not equal acceptance of an invasion and occupation. If you can't see that, then I'm sorry.

Well. You sure showed me.
Sleepless nights at the chateau

popeurmom

Quote from: Cain on December 18, 2013, 02:05:17 PM
It's all bullshit and grandstanding.  Every major politician in Ukraine is a crook on the take, and they will tell you whatever you want to hear if they think they can profit from it.  Whether they're pro-Europe or pro-Russian can vary from hour to hour.  The admittedly rather lovely Yulia Tymoshenko, for example, currently the darling of Western liberal anti-Russians was not so long ago negotiating sweetheart deals for Russian gas pipelines through Ukraine.

The EU made a bad deal, and the Russians were willing to impose more costs of noncompliance than the EU was willing to overcome with promises of aid and assistance.  The EU should have made a better deal, and American Neocons should stop crying every time Russia does something they don't like.  They're adults and, quite frankly, it's undignified.

Faust

And where does that indicate anything about invasion? that WAS posted in December before any of this shit kicked off.

Cain

OK.  And what does that have to do with invasion and occupation?

popeurmom

The unrest began in November. We can all sit here and claim CIA assets were the only ones fomenting it, but if you don't think KGB was in there you're close-minded.

Russia's been in power play over Ukraine for months. Don't even kid yourselves. Just because Tymoshenko was approving of a pipeline, and then decided she didn't like what Russia was playing at, you're insinuating she's a hypocrite.

Never mind all the nuances of politics in Eastern Europe.

Cain

So....is that you saying you can't back up your assertion?

popeurmom

That's me saying you're wrong to imply that someone who has done business with someone in the past, still wishes to do business with someone who has overtly aggressive intent towards them, and thus proves it with an invasion and occupation. In other words, the woman was right in her feelings, and the Russian invasion proved her right.

Cain

So....you have no proof to back up your claim that I said, that negotiations for a pipeline equalled acceptance of an invasion?

popeurmom

Quote from: Cain on March 04, 2014, 03:12:03 PM
So....you have no proof to back up your claim that I said, that negotiations for a pipeline equalled acceptance of an invasion?

Come now, an invasion, preparations for an invasion by spec ops forces, wanna split hairs here, really?

She didn't approve of them moving spec ops in and fomenting unrest for a future invasion.
So you were claiming she was a hypocrite for wanting a pipeline, and then deciding she didn't like Russia.
Well, now we're ~3 months out from your comment, and not only were her negative feelings toward Russia correct but they have invaded and occupied a decent swath of her country. She was right, you were wrong, get over it dude.

Cain

popeurmom

Quote from: Cain on March 04, 2014, 03:20:22 PM
Still waiting for that quote, sparky.

Here you go, buddy.
Lord Byron: "Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves."

Get over it. You insinuated that she was a hypocrite, but she was right. The fact that your post was ~3 months ago only proves my point further. Russia had not invaded, so to you, her fears were unjustified, and she was just some anti-russian cunt. Some asshole who was willing to profit off of Russia but now she's profiting on being the "darling of the western-liberal anti-russians", as you said. But now Russia has invaded Ukraine, so her fears were proved right, and your rhetoric reactionist bullshit was proved wrong. She wasn't just some cunt who disliked Russia to be the "darling". She actually smelled something funny coming. And come it did - all over poor Crimea's face.

But of course, that doesn't change your desire to argue over semantics and wordplay. You were wrong and she was right and the specific words used do not invalidate your argument any less.

Cain

LMNO

Hold on now, Cain... You're apparently talking to the smartest guy on the internet.

So show some respect.

Cain

I know, right?

He even knows what I say, even when I haven't said it.  That takes some serious smarts.

Faust

Quote from: popeurmom on March 04, 2014, 03:17:16 PM
Quote from: Cain on March 04, 2014, 03:12:03 PM

Come now, an invasion, preparations for an invasion by spec ops forces, wanna split hairs here, really?

She didn't approve of them moving spec ops in and fomenting unrest for a future invasion.
So you were claiming she was a hypocrite for wanting a pipeline, and then deciding she didn't like Russia.
Well, now we're ~3 months out from your comment, and not only were her negative feelings toward Russia correct but they have invaded and occupied a decent swath of her country. She was right, you were wrong, get over it dude.

No troops were deployed until the government was overthrown by the new group that russia does not recognise and most of those troops were withdrawn today.