News:

Testimonial: "It's just honestly sad that a place like this exists"

Main Menu

What do you REALLY believe?

Started by Cramulus, October 21, 2008, 03:23:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which of the following best describes what you Actually Believe about the Deity?

I worship some variation of the Christian / Jewish / Muslim God
Buddhist / Taoist / Eastern somethingorother
Agnostic -  I couldn't possibly know
Atheist - I believe in no gods
I believe in Eris as an entity but do not follow other Gods
I believe Eris is one of many Gods
I prefer not to define myself
I don't give a fuck about all that stuff
Something else not on this list

BADGE OF HONOR

Quote from: East Coast Hustle on October 22, 2008, 01:13:29 AM
I shouldn't give a fuck, but I have trouble getting past the filter that causes me to be offended that things that are supposedly of the same species as myself could be so overwhelmingly stupid and irrational as to actually believe in the literal existence of deities.

Yes, this too.  Sometimes.
The Jerk On Bike rolled his eyes and tossed the waffle back over his shoulder--before it struck the ground, a stout, disconcertingly monkey-like dog sprang into the air and snatched it, and began to masticate it--literally--for the sound it made was like a homonculus squatting on the floor muttering "masticate masticate masticate".

Golden Applesauce

ITT, I get my 'isms' all screwed up.  Sorry bout that.

Anyway, what I was trying to get at was why is meaning generated by a universe-consciousness relevant?  Even assuming that the universe really is the greatest possible thing, why should any meaning generated by it also be greatest?  Why couldn't a "lesser" being come up with a "greater" meaning than the universe?

Q: How regularly do you hire 8th graders?
A: We have hired a number of FORMER 8th graders.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Cramulus on October 21, 2008, 03:23:51 PM
This is fodder for something I'm brewing about the beliefs of "irreligious" people (Church of Google, Pastafarians, Discordians, Subgenii, Cthulhu sect, etc) I'd like to post some variation of this poll in different irreligious forums and see how it compares to our results. I'll tell you my hypothesis later.

If I'm missing poll options, let me know.

I believe whatever God stranded me on a planet full of monkeys HAS SOME FUCKING ANSWERING TO DO!   :argh!:
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Cramulus

Elder Iptuous

Quote from: GA on October 22, 2008, 03:12:39 AM
Anyway, what I was trying to get at was why is meaning generated by a universe-consciousness relevant?  Even assuming that the universe really is the greatest possible thing, why should any meaning generated by it also be greatest?  Why couldn't a "lesser" being come up with a "greater" meaning than the universe?

Hm.. that's a good point.  i guess i would point out that all meaning as conceived of by all lesser beings are part of god, and so the greater meaning would be, in a sense, a super set, containing our lesser meanings....

Payne

I believe Rabid Badger of God is Virtuous and Controlled.

BADGE OF HONOR

The Jerk On Bike rolled his eyes and tossed the waffle back over his shoulder--before it struck the ground, a stout, disconcertingly monkey-like dog sprang into the air and snatched it, and began to masticate it--literally--for the sound it made was like a homonculus squatting on the floor muttering "masticate masticate masticate".

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Payne on October 22, 2008, 04:02:43 AM
I believe Rabid Badger of God is Virtuous and Controlled.

Maybe she should run for Palin, next election.   :lol:

TGRR,
Is now a marked man.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

BADGE OF HONOR

Golden Applesauce

Quote from: Iptuous on October 22, 2008, 03:59:09 AM
Quote from: GA on October 22, 2008, 03:12:39 AM

Hm.. that's a good point.  i guess i would point out that all meaning as conceived of by all lesser beings are part of god, and so the greater meaning would be, in a sense, a super set, containing our lesser meanings....

Would you agree that there are "meanings" that people come up with that are, quite frankly, stupid?  If so, then the universe's super-set of meanings is actually worse than just the collection of "good" meanings.
Q: How regularly do you hire 8th graders?
A: We have hired a number of FORMER 8th graders.

hooplala

Stupid is a human concept.  Who knows, all our supposedly "stupid" shit might serve some greater purpose.

Probably not, but who knows?
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

Elder Iptuous

Quote from: GA on October 22, 2008, 04:29:11 AM
Would you agree that there are "meanings" that people come up with that are, quite frankly, stupid?  If so, then the universe's super-set of meanings is actually worse than just the collection of "good" meanings.
i try to avoid the concepts like stupid and worse and good.  i'm sticking with the matter of scale and temporal permanence...

trippinprincezz13

Right now, I'm at a point where I don't know if there's anything out there, and don't really think that I care right now. I belive that religion can be useful/comforting on a personal level, if one is so inclined to go that route. I just can't get into any set organized religion/dogmatic beliefs and if there is "something" out there, I find it hard to believe that it's entire ego rests on whether or not I choose to grovel before it.
There's no sun shine coming through her ass, if you are sure of your penis.

Paranoia is a disease unto itself, and may I add, the person standing next to you, may not be who they appear to be, so take precaution.

If there is no order in your sexual life it may be difficult to stay with a whole skin.

Eve

Is it weird that I sort of wish I did believe in something, even though it's silly/stupid/total bullshit?  :sad:
Emotionally crippled narcissist.

Eater of Clowns

Quote from: Eve on October 22, 2008, 03:42:16 PM
Is it weird that I sort of wish I did believe in something, even though it's silly/stupid/total bullshit?  :sad:

Not really, it makes things easier when you can take comfort in a greater power without question.

Gives a whole new meaning to ignorance is bliss, huh?
Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.