News:

There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.

Main Menu

What do you REALLY believe?

Started by Cramulus, October 21, 2008, 03:23:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which of the following best describes what you Actually Believe about the Deity?

I worship some variation of the Christian / Jewish / Muslim God
Buddhist / Taoist / Eastern somethingorother
Agnostic -  I couldn't possibly know
Atheist - I believe in no gods
I believe in Eris as an entity but do not follow other Gods
I believe Eris is one of many Gods
I prefer not to define myself
I don't give a fuck about all that stuff
Something else not on this list

the last yatto

Look, asshole:  Your 'incomprehensible' act, your word-salad, your pinealism...It BORES ME.  I've been incomprehensible for so long, I TEACH IT TO MBA CANDIDATES.  So if you simply MUST talk about your pineal gland or happy children dancing in the wildflowers, go talk to Roger, because he digs that kind of shit

Eve

Quote from: trippinprincezz13 on October 22, 2008, 06:16:38 PM
Quote from: Eve on October 22, 2008, 03:42:16 PM
Is it weird that I sort of wish I did believe in something, even though it's silly/stupid/total bullshit?  :sad:

No, after I stopped actively practising Catholicism, I felt like I should be practising something. But trying to force myself to believe a specific set of something didn't/can't work either. Now, although I occassionally feel "naked" without some sort of spiritual package to wrap myself in ("Catholic guilt" coming back to haunt me or some such thing), I've pretty much come to terms with the fact that trying to believe something is even more pointless and empty than believing in something that may or may not be real.

Yes, this exactly.
Emotionally crippled narcissist.

East Coast Hustle

I admit, the need to have some sort of universal meaning/higher consciousness/personal essence/whatever is completely mystifying to me.

Isn't life amazing enough and interesting enough as it is?
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

trippinprincezz13

Quote from: East Coast Hustle on October 22, 2008, 08:22:49 PM
I admit, the need to have some sort of universal meaning/higher consciousness/personal essence/whatever is completely mystifying to me.

I'm more in line with this sort of thinking now (not that I didn't believe that before, but there were also religious under/overtones), but having been raised in a religious family setting, there is still some residual need for spirituality/religion I need to shake off.
There's no sun shine coming through her ass, if you are sure of your penis.

Paranoia is a disease unto itself, and may I add, the person standing next to you, may not be who they appear to be, so take precaution.

If there is no order in your sexual life it may be difficult to stay with a whole skin.

hooplala

Quote from: Rabid Badger of God on October 22, 2008, 08:01:11 PM
In my family we never discussed religion.  It just never came up.

I remember when I was about six, taking a tour of a church and having my mom finally explain what that crucifixion business was all about.

So yeah, I don't really have any sense of spirituality or belief.  It's just not a big deal.

Mine too.  My sister and I got sent to Sunday School, but just so my parents could fuck on Sunday mornings.  They didn't care what we learned there.

Although my dad WAS somewhat horrified when I told him at 14 that I didn't believe in God, so...
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

Eve

I think the intention behind it is to keep yourself in prospective and to remember that there are bigger things than you. Personally, I think that can be done without a deity, but some people need that.

If you were responding more specifically to the post above yours, I chalk it up to a lifetime of being told to believe in something (or else). CCD teachers never appreciated having John Lennon quoted at them in response.

I subscribe more to the second line of your post.. in ways that make me sound kind of hippie-ish, so I tend not to advertise them.

Anyway, I'm not saying I want to adopt some kind of blind faith, just that it often seems as though I'm supposed to. But I'm not about to sit in church* and parrot some crap back and forth with the priest** if it doesn't feel right. And it doesn't.

*or wherever

**or whoever

East Coast Hustle

how about if I dress up like a sexy nun...would that help?
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Elder Iptuous

Of course it is amazing and interesting, but that's only because of our ability to be amazed and interested.  our consciousness is what lends this awe.  So the ephemeral nature of that is disturbing to many people.  completely unacceptable to others.  I, personally, no longer feel the need to cling to the notion of an afterlife for myself.  (i accept my boundaries, both spatially and temporally.  asking whether i exist after i die goes in the same category as whether i exist 10 feet to the right of my body)  I do, still feel the need to believe that there is some sort of  universal awareness (however different it might be from my own) that will maintain the 'amazing' and 'interesting' unbounded by time.

Eve

Quote from: East Coast Hustle on October 22, 2008, 08:37:50 PM
how about if I dress up like a sexy nun...would that help?

Yes, infinitely. :D

Eater of Clowns

Quote from: Iptuous on October 22, 2008, 04:45:09 PMNot at all.  I have felt great loss from abandoning my protestant christian beliefs.  They say ignorance is bliss, but knowing that all is right and good and there is some benevolent entity in control that loves you personally is one hell of a comfort.  i miss that terribly.
oh well....  :|

I definitely differ on this point from a lot of the former Christians in this thread.  While I went through all of the sacraments and rituals of Catholicism, one day I just really thought about it and said "Wait a second, I don't believe any of this," (side note: this is also how I decided I'd no longer be straight edge).  Then I looked back and realized I never had.  I'd just been force fed it.  So my tendencies, such as the language I use or the morals I hold, are very much a product of something I was never really all that into to begin with.  Ultimately the sense of "right" and "wrong" instilled in me may have been as important to my perspective as the sense of "maybe" I later developed.

I forgot precisely what my point would be.  I didn't start typing with the intention of just talking about myself.  I'll use this:  Organized religion doesn't just deal with the deity question and comfort in that regard, it also provides a, frequently comprehensive, grid through which one may see reality.

I realize now I could have more concisely said all of that by just pointing to the section of the quote above in bold and saying I agree.

Eater of Clowns,
failing this thread.
Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

trippinprincezz13

Quote from: Eve on October 22, 2008, 08:34:30 PM

Anyway, I'm not saying I want to adopt some kind of blind faith, just that it often seems as though I'm supposed to. But I'm not about to sit in church* and parrot some crap back and forth with the priest** if it doesn't feel right. And it doesn't.

*or wherever

**or whoever

I haven't been to church in a little over 5 years, but last month we went to my boyfriend's cousin's wedding - very traditional, church service then reception at country club (I liked the Utah guns and booze wedding we went to a lot better, for any number of reasons). Instead of just a short wedding ceremony, it was a full mass and despite the length of time since I've been to church, it was almost scary how automatically my brain knew every response to everything the priest said. Of course, I was sitting with my boyfriend and his three brothers, so it was more like the ADD pew with a combination of "Oh god! Get me out of here before I kill myself/fall asleep!" So we all stopped back at our apartment for a beer to clear the brain before heading to the reception.

Just goes to show how deeply ingrained a lot of the rituals can be in one's mind whether one believes it/agrees with it/whatever.

Paranoia is a disease unto itself, and may I add, the person standing next to you, may not be who they appear to be, so take precaution.

If there is no order in your sexual life it may be difficult to stay with a whole skin.

trippinprincezz13

Quote from: Eater of Clowns on October 22, 2008, 08:47:00 PM
I definitely differ on this point from a lot of the former Christians in this thread.  While I went through all of the sacraments and rituals of Catholicism, one day I just really thought about it and said "Wait a second, I don't believe any of this," (side note: this is also how I decided I'd no longer be straight edge).  Then I looked back and realized I never had.  I'd just been force fed it. 

When younger, any questions that went against the religion we were raised in were essentially met w/ the equivalent of "STFU". We were to believe what we were taught and that was that. Got older and started thinking for myself more, reading about other beliefs etc. and little by little the pieces began to fit less and less.  Plus being told "questions your parents is a sin", "being depressed is a sin", etc. as an explanation for why doing something was wrong didn't really help either.

Having been raised Christian, I kinda use it as my reference point in that  - if there is an "all-loving" god that expects you to know who/what he/she/it is, exactly how to act to please it, exactly what to do to worship it, etc. or else YOU WILL BE PUNISHED FOREVER just seemed both contradictory to me and if "god's" that much of an asshole that it expects us to know everything about it or else "fuck off, no matter how you act as a person" why the hell would I want to spend eternity with that kind of god anyway?

Hope my ramblings made some kind of sense.

Cainad (dec.)

^This pretty much sums up my thoughts on the issue.

I have a friend whom I intentionally keep in the dark about my spiritual beliefs, or lack thereof, because I'm pretty sure she looks down on this attitude. Our friendship might be ruined if I was clear with her. :sad:

Elder Iptuous

so does she know about your ordination?

Cainad (dec.)

Quote from: Iptuous on October 22, 2008, 09:48:10 PM
so does she know about your ordination?

:lulz:

She'll find it on Facebook eventually. Maybe.