Licenced Jenkem provider since 2007

Main Menu

Doing some research for a sci-fi story

Started by Chelagoras The Boulder, December 30, 2013, 03:20:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on April 21, 2014, 07:31:38 PM
It was better when Q was around.

I am going to go do something awful after work.

Because of that post.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

LMNO

Chelagoras The Boulder

actually, i had another sci-fi idea that would be a bit more grounded in reality. This came from me finding out about a program that can track a person's social media feed to determine when people who suffer from depression are becoming depressed, and then sends helpful advice and reminders to go outside and other useful information that has been proven to help with bouts of depression. So then I took that to its cyberpunkian conclusion: what if everyone had an AI program like this, a built-in companion program who's designed to be with you from birth, grow alongside you in a procedurally generated way so that it knows all your struggles and hardships and victories, and is programmed to support you and want you to succeed and be happy. People who can afford it get to walk around with a cute little sidekick mascot hologram that knows them in some ways better than they know themselves. And the story would be about how we would integrate such a technology, how we would treat AIs like this (how would you treat a friend you can turn on and off on a whim?), and at at what point would we consider these things our friends as opposed to simulations of friends.
"It isn't who you know, it's who you know, if you know what I mean.  And I think you do."

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Chelagoras The Boulder on April 21, 2014, 08:03:42 PM
actually, i had another sci-fi idea that would be a bit more grounded in reality. This came from me finding out about a program that can track a person's social media feed to determine when people who suffer from depression are becoming depressed, and then sends helpful advice and reminders to go outside and other useful information that has been proven to help with bouts of depression. So then I took that to its cyberpunkian conclusion: what if everyone had an AI program like this, a built-in companion program who's designed to be with you from birth, grow alongside you in a procedurally generated way so that it knows all your struggles and hardships and victories, and is programmed to support you and want you to succeed and be happy. People who can afford it get to walk around with a cute little sidekick mascot hologram that knows them in some ways better than they know themselves. And the story would be about how we would integrate such a technology, how we would treat AIs like this (how would you treat a friend you can turn on and off on a whim?), and at at what point would we consider these things our friends as opposed to simulations of friends.

I did that with Alex's AI in Life During Wartime.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Chelagoras The Boulder

Can you link to it? Seems like it'd be worth checking out
"It isn't who you know, it's who you know, if you know what I mean.  And I think you do."

LMNO

Also, it sounds slightly like Neal Stephenson's "The Diamond Age".

Good book.

The Good Reverend Roger