ITT, Holist demonstrates why his "English" is superior.

Started by Dildo Argentino, October 28, 2012, 10:55:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Some SmartassYou are trying to get the last word in with an aspie.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Phox

Quote from: Mitt Romney's Favorite Wife on November 11, 2012, 06:04:10 PM
Quote from: Some SmartassYou are trying to get the last word in with an aspie.
We can't help ourselves, TGRMRFW. The sticks are so close by, and they fit so comfortably in our hands.  :lulz:

Salty

The world is a car and you're the crash test dummy.

Mangrove

What makes it so? Making it so is what makes it so.

Epimetheus

Quote from: holist on November 10, 2012, 03:25:32 AM
Quote from: chimes on November 05, 2012, 10:27:32 PM
Holist, your corrections weren't critique. They were essentially running the piece through a spell-check.

I did, as a friendly gesture, correct a few typos. This, I felt, was appropriate, because I was under the impression that impeccable grammar would be a good thing to have in this letter, the better to annoy the poor benighted recipient with. I also pointed out a sentence that in my opinion was poorly constructed, and offered a better-constructed version.

Maybe you haven't gotten the hang of nuance in this language, but you must know it exists.

Maybe you are also full of shit.  :lulz:

I wonder if every 20th-century English language novel you've read has margins full of your notes on the grammatical errors the authors made?

Yeah, Joyce, especially, I ended up having to buy another copy.

I don't get it. You think impeccable grammar would have improved his message, but you think I'm full of shit for suggesting that you don't have the hang of English nuance? Now I don't know whether that thing about Joyce is a joke or not.
POST-SINGULARITY POCKET ORGASM TOAD OF RIGHTEOUSNESS

Epimetheus

Mo memorized the dictionary

But just can't seem to find a job

Or anyone who wants to marry

Someone who memorized the dictionary.

- Shel Silverstein
POST-SINGULARITY POCKET ORGASM TOAD OF RIGHTEOUSNESS

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: chimes on November 15, 2012, 04:02:33 AM
Mo memorized the dictionary

But just can't seem to find a job

Or anyone who wants to marry

Someone who memorized the dictionary.

- Shel Silverstein

:lulz: I love Shel Silverstein.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Anna Mae Bollocks

Quote from: holist on November 10, 2012, 03:25:32 AM
Holist, your corrections weren't critique. They were essentially running the piece through a spell-check.

I did, as a friendly gesture, correct a few typos. This, I felt, was appropriate, because I was under the impression that impeccable grammar would be a good thing to have in this letter, the better to annoy the poor benighted recipient with. I also pointed out a sentence that in my opinion was poorly constructed, and offered a better-constructed version.

Maybe you haven't gotten the hang of nuance in this language, but you must know it exists.

Maybe you are also full of shit.  :lulz:

I wonder if every 20th-century English language novel you've read has margins full of your notes on the grammatical errors the authors made?

Yeah, Joyce, especially, I ended up having to buy another copy.

Also you seriously need to drop this 'luck of the straw' point.

I think I have.

It's not an idiom just because someone has said it at some point. You made a mistake, it's okay.

I used some words in a clearly understandable, unproblematic, non-ambiguous manner. Well I beg your pardon, my mother is the whore.

It's like having a conversation with that Balkie guy from the 80's sitcom.

If Balkie did a fuckload of meth.

And had a brain tumor.

With a big dildo stuck in it.
Scantily-Clad Inspector of Gigantic and Unnecessary Cashews, Texas Division

Dildo Argentino

Quote from: chimes on November 14, 2012, 04:07:45 AM
I don't get it. You think impeccable grammar would have improved his message, but you think I'm full of shit for suggesting that you don't have the hang of English nuance? Now I don't know whether that thing about Joyce is a joke or not.

Well not knowing is sometimes superior to knowing. It was a joke. My pleasure.
Not too keen on rigor, myself - reminds me of mortis

Juana

The smart thing would be to let this drop. Just sayin'.
"I dispose of obsolete meat machines.  Not because I hate them (I do) and not because they deserve it (they do), but because they are in the way and those older ones don't meet emissions codes.  They emit too much.  You don't like them and I don't like them, so spare me the hysteria."

East Coast Hustle

His track record suggests that this is extremely unlikely. :lulz:
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Mangrove

What makes it so? Making it so is what makes it so.

Dildo Argentino

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: East Coast Hustle on November 19, 2012, 08:21:19 PM
His track record suggests that this is extremely unlikely. :lulz:

I think he likes the attention, which is why he won't interact normally in any of the other threads. He only interacts if he can make it about him.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Dildo Argentino

Quote from: FROTISTED FUDGE CAK on November 20, 2012, 05:29:56 PM
I think he likes the attention, which is why he won't interact normally in any of the other threads. He only interacts if he can make it about him.

Not at all. Most of the other threads I just do not find interesting. In the few that I do find interesting enough to comment on, I either get ignored or mobbed. Being ignored is a hard way to join a conversation, being mobbed also gets boring fast. Hence my admittedly sporadic and disjointed presence in these here boards.