News:

Yes we're horrible toxic people, because this is 2020's Mental Illness Olympics, and the winners get a free pass on giving life-threatening advice with the bonus of having zero accountability for their shit behaviour.

Main Menu

Snore, ung, snore, WHAT THE FUCK?

Started by The Good Reverend Roger, January 07, 2012, 04:34:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Sir Squid Diddimus on January 08, 2012, 10:00:09 AM
I'd like to forward this to the white house. (mostly for the shits and giggles of it)
Give me the OK and it will be done.

Squid,
Not fucking kidding.

Do it.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Penumbral on January 08, 2012, 10:09:19 AM
Nothing matters and I am going to die. Even if I change things and become the father of modern modernism it won't matter tomorrow or in a hundred years.

Nihilism doesn't become you.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Triple Zero on January 07, 2012, 10:38:12 PM
Roger,

why do you hate America?

best wishes,

Belgium.

I don't hate America. 

I hate Americans.  Because I've never met one.

Dildo Argentino

we all work on what we wish to work on
(those genuinely under coercion not included)

i happen to think that creating the res publica of a people, the establishment (or re-establishment, or restoration) of a country in the sense of a nation state is an outmoded enterprise with little merit

in order to find more timely and glorious work, it is expedient to review the situation that we find ourselves in first from a larger (global), then from a narrower (personal) perspective

none of what i will say is new

global perspective:

one earth, seven billion people

roughly one tenth of that number do not eat their fill every day of the week

at the same time, ten percent of the population dispose over eighty-five percent of all earthly wealth

within that number, the richest one percent control forty percent of the wealth

man does not live by bread alone

over half the population of the earth live in cities, though mostly not cities in the european sense

and well over half the population strive to realise, in their personal lives, the ideals of the welfare consumer society

lots of food, lots of channels, lots of clutter

estimating the size of the autonomous, adult population who hold their lives and their hands and thus purposefully form them is harder

after a small, highly subjective and far from representative opinion survey and a great deal of pondering i have concluded that such people occur in higher proportion in the third world (brutal existential uncertainty is a strong selection pressure at both the individual and the social levels)

the transitional margin between the autonomous and the slave/slaver group is quite wide and gradual along a number of distinct dimensions

globally, the proportion of autonomous, self-governing  adults is somewhere between 0.1 percent and 10 percent

as an incorrigible optimist, i would wager around 1 percent

one in a hundred people

personal perspective:

i posit that only sovereign, adult people, who know their own lives and hold them in their hands in order to shape them are capable of authentic political action

i posit that in the present situation authentic political action is impossible without first letting go of all sorts of national or racial phantasmagories, imaginings, emotional tangles

i posit that today, authentic political action may be aimed at the following two targets (possibly among others, i am not making an exhaustive claim here):

firstly, moving fellow humans in the transitional stages between being robots and being people (or half-asleep, or what have you) towards sufficient levels of sovereignity

such actions include raising children, clarity of thinking and speech and the exemplary practice of authentic ways of being

secondly, the strengthening, supporting, mobilisation, vitalisation of the networks, the systems of interrelationships of autonomous people

this includes tribal enterprise, active community building and maintenance, trust-based barter trade and the promotion of communication and cooperation between small sovereign communities

thank you for your attention
Not too keen on rigor, myself - reminds me of mortis

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: holist on January 08, 2012, 09:42:40 PM

i posit that only sovereign, adult people, who know their own lives and hold them in their hands in order to shape them are capable of authentic political action

What's "authentic political action"?

Because the political action that actually wields power is nothing like that at all.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I like what he has to say, I think. But the implementation...
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Nigel on January 09, 2012, 02:07:39 AM
I like what he has to say, I think. But the implementation...

I want to know what he means by "authentic".

Because people with nukes and tanks and troops are authentic as hell.  Ask any Iraqi what's real, he or she will tell you.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

...we have been waking people up for how many years now? In the last 20 years I have gone from seeing the spark of revolution to the spark of acceptance.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Nigel on January 09, 2012, 02:10:01 AM
...we have been waking people up for how many years now? In the last 20 years I have gone from seeing the spark of revolution to the spark of acceptance.

What?

I'm just trying to define terms here.  I'm not saying any particular situation is okay, or even tolerable.

Dildo Argentino

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on January 09, 2012, 02:12:36 AM
I'm just trying to define terms here.  I'm not saying any particular situation is okay, or even tolerable.

too right

constant vigilance is the least we expect

given this:

"authentic
mid-14c., "authoritative," from O.Fr. autentique (13c., Mod.Fr. authentique) "authentic; canonical," and directly from M.L. authenticus, from Gk. authentikos "original, genuine, principal," from authentes "one acting on one's own authority," from autos "self" (see auto-) + hentes "doer, being," from PIE *sene- "to accomplish, achieve." Sense of "entitled to acceptance as factual" is first recorded mid-14c. Traditionally (at least since the 18c.), authentic implies that the contents of the thing in question correspond to the facts and are not fictitious; genuine implies that the reputed author is the real one; though this distinction is not etymological and is not always now recognized."

i have the old meaning in mind

autonomous, 'self-ruled' is also a good word i would use in this context

action resulting from a mature and workable understanding of what being human (or ursid) in this world now entails (i'm not saying there aren't at least several such world-views, only that there are many very popular and widely adopted ones that are not in that category... at all)

i think i will proceed with some examples:

i would say that finding a farmer nearby to support by buying my vegetables and as much of my food from after ascertaining that said farmer has a halfway decent relationship with the land and the animals they exploit is eminently sensible and authentic and i would say political

chattering and possibly getting all het up about which candidate is not, in fact, voting in the so-called democracies, while a time-honoured ritual, is a bit of an empty gesture these days in most places (iceland being a noteable exception, perhaps, from what i hear)

in highly disfunctional countries such as this one, which is being habitually abusive with its population, spreading anonymous information about how to get away with paying as little in the way of taxes as possible is political and authentic

not buying into a global pension system that is obviously a major perpetrator of our troubles and is going to fold as the population as a whole ages is political and authentic

teaching children from an early age about the nature of nation-states and the methods of self-adjustment and careful consideration is political and authentic

that sort of thing
Not too keen on rigor, myself - reminds me of mortis

Sir Squid Diddimus

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on January 08, 2012, 12:48:34 PM
Quote from: Sir Squid Diddimus on January 08, 2012, 10:00:09 AM
I'd like to forward this to the white house. (mostly for the shits and giggles of it)
Give me the OK and it will be done.

Squid,
Not fucking kidding.

Do it.

Tomorrow.... it happens.

ñͤͣ̄ͦ̌̑͗͊͛͂͗ ̸̨̨̣̺̼̣̜͙͈͕̮̊̈́̈͂͛̽͊ͭ̓͆ͅé ̰̓̓́ͯ́́͞

Fuck anyone who tells me "This thing is intrinsically wrong" or "This is the solution." It's all cycle and all I can and will do is exist in the peaks and dips that occur in my life. 

What does this rationale enable you to perpetrate?
P E R   A S P E R A   A D   A S T R A

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: holist on January 09, 2012, 06:00:37 AM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on January 09, 2012, 02:12:36 AM

too right

constant vigilance is the least we expect

given this:

"authentic
mid-14c., "authoritative," from O.Fr. autentique (13c., Mod.Fr. authentique) "authentic; canonical," and directly from M.L. authenticus, from Gk. authentikos "original, genuine, principal," from authentes "one acting on one's own authority," from autos "self" (see auto-) + hentes "doer, being," from PIE *sene- "to accomplish, achieve." Sense of "entitled to acceptance as factual" is first recorded mid-14c. Traditionally (at least since the 18c.), authentic implies that the contents of the thing in question correspond to the facts and are not fictitious; genuine implies that the reputed author is the real one; though this distinction is not etymological and is not always now recognized."

i have the old meaning in mind

autonomous, 'self-ruled' is also a good word i would use in this context

action resulting from a mature and workable understanding of what being human (or ursid) in this world now entails (i'm not saying there aren't at least several such world-views, only that there are many very popular and widely adopted ones that are not in that category... at all)

i think i will proceed with some examples:

i would say that finding a farmer nearby to support by buying my vegetables and as much of my food from after ascertaining that said farmer has a halfway decent relationship with the land and the animals they exploit is eminently sensible and authentic and i would say political

chattering and possibly getting all het up about which candidate is not, in fact, voting in the so-called democracies, while a time-honoured ritual, is a bit of an empty gesture these days in most places (iceland being a noteable exception, perhaps, from what i hear)

in highly disfunctional countries such as this one, which is being habitually abusive with its population, spreading anonymous information about how to get away with paying as little in the way of taxes as possible is political and authentic

not buying into a global pension system that is obviously a major perpetrator of our troubles and is going to fold as the population as a whole ages is political and authentic

teaching children from an early age about the nature of nation-states and the methods of self-adjustment and careful consideration is political and authentic

that sort of thing

Okay, I can buy that.

Penumbral

Quote from: Net on January 09, 2012, 08:59:00 AM
Fuck anyone who tells me "This thing is intrinsically wrong" or "This is the solution." It's all cycle and all I can and will do is exist in the peaks and dips that occur in my life. 

What does this rationale enable you to perpetrate?

Well for starters I live without cognitive dissidence. I am not afraid to take chances because I am not afraid of failure.

I don't have passion or faith. I don't believe strongly in any cause.

People are idiots and asking them to fix anything is astounding. According to a number of polls anywhere from a third to more than half the country believes in ghosts. Source1 Source2 And 100% of the country belives in at least one stupid thing.

People aren't the only idiots though. I am an idiot asking me to fix anything is irresponsible of you. My ideals are sad examples of half thought out ideas mostly based on the views of writers who killed themselves and comedians who drink daily.

Yes, I think the banking system is fucked up, and the financial market is a mess. I have thought those two things were a mess my entire life and have quietly boycotted and form of credit or loan my whole life. I haven't had a bank account for 6 years. (Counter point: if everyone treated the banking system as I did the country and technology as a whole would be beyond years behind. Only the rich would go to college and I wouldn't have had a house to grow up in.) I don't have all the information or even enough to stand on a street corner. If I wanted to get educated (which I don't) all the hyperbole in media and internet makes even the most unbiased sources based on bad information.

I don't want to go to prison without trial... but a lot of people in gitmo are terrorists and no court system would be able to hold them. While I want to say even one mistake is enough to throw out the system I understand where the system comes from. 

Its all a big ball of mess and at the end off the day what I am enabled to perpetrate is just sitting down with a ciggerette and doing whatever fucking insignificant thing it is I find joy in without trying to solve other peoples problems. Its stess about something out of my control.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on January 08, 2012, 12:49:47 PM
Nothing matters and I am going to die. Even if I change things and become the father of modern modernism it won't matter tomorrow or in a hundred years.

Nihilism doesn't become you.

I fucking hate it when people say that shit. People get mad at nihilism for some knee jerk fear that they will lose their grasp on reality. I have literally heard this so many times in person as well as movies and literature: It doesn't matter what you believe just believe in it. HORSESHIT! That's what suicide cults do. That's what people who kill abortion doctors do. That's what the Mormons did when they fought prop 8.

The Nihilist is the least harmful person to Your Causetm

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Penumbral on January 09, 2012, 06:55:32 PM
I don't have passion or faith. I don't believe strongly in any cause.

I'm sorry to hear that.  I hope you get better.