News:

I know you said that you wouldn't tolerate excuses, but I have a real good one.

Main Menu

Prism and Verizon surveillance discussion thread

Started by Junkenstein, June 06, 2013, 02:19:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Left

Under the heading of "things just keep getting better and better"...I hadn't seen this older article...
http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2012/03/ff_nsadatacenter/

QuoteUnder construction by contractors with top-secret clearances, the blandly named Utah Data Center is being built for the National Security Agency. A project of immense secrecy, it is the final piece in a complex puzzle assembled over the past decade. Its purpose: to intercept, decipher, analyze, and store vast swaths of the world’s communications as they zap down from satellites and zip through the underground and undersea cables of international, foreign, and domestic networks. The heavily fortified $2 billion center should be up and running in September 2013.

QuoteAccording to another top official also involved with the program, the NSA made an enormous breakthrough several years ago in its ability to cryptanalyze, or break, unfathomably complex encryption systems employed by not only governments around the world but also many average computer users in the US. The upshot, according to this official: “Everybody’s a target; everybody with communication is a target...

Quote“The deep web contains government reports, databases, and other sources of information of high value to DOD and the intelligence community,” according to a 2010 Defense Science Board report. “Alternative tools are needed to find and index data in the deep web … Stealing the classified secrets of a potential adversary is where the [intelligence] community is most comfortable.” With its new Utah Data Center, the NSA will at last have the technical capability to store, and rummage through, all those stolen secrets. The question, of course, is how the agency defines who is, and who is not, “a potential adversary.”
Hope was the thing with feathers.
I smacked it with a hammer until it was red and squashy

Cain

The Guardian's final scoop for the internet this week is the Presidential directive on cyberwarfare

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/interactive/2013/jun/07/obama-cyber-directive-full-text

When read carefully, this seems to link PRISM and the Verizon actions into a wider context, that of using US corporations to oversee US cyber operations overseas and surveillance at home.

Junkenstein

HA HA
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-22832263

Quote"Law-abiding" citizens have "nothing to fear" from the British intelligence services, the foreign secretary says.

William Hague said reports that the UK's eavesdropping centre GCHQ had circumvented the law to gather data on British citizens were "nonsense".

But he refused to confirm or deny claims GCHQ has had access to a US spy programme called Prism since June 2010.

HA HA HA

Quote"The net effect is that if you are a law-abiding citizen of this country going about your business and personal life, you have nothing to fear about the British state or intelligence agencies listening to the content of your phone calls or anything like that.

"Indeed you will never be aware of all the things that these agencies are doing to stop your identity being stolen or to stop a terrorist blowing you up tomorrow."

HA HA HA

Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

Cain

According to that logic, people should never lock their doors or use PIN numbers on their bank accounts.

Cain

This is a laugh:

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/week-transcript-sen-dianne-feinstein-rep-mike-rogers/story?id=19343314&page=4#.UbSTg_bipr1

QuoteSo here's what happens with that program. The program is essentially walled off within the NSA. There are limited numbers of people who have access to it. The only thing taken, as has been correctly expressed, is not content of a conversation, but the information that is generally on your telephone bill, which has been held not to be private personal property by the Supreme Court.

If there is strong suspicion that a terrorist outside of the country is trying to reach someone on the inside of the country, those numbers then can be obtained. If you want to collect content on the American, then a court order is issued.

So, the program has been used. Two cases have been declassified. One of them is the case of David Headley, who went to Mumbai, to the Taj hotel, and scoped it out for the terrorist attack.

You mean DEA informant David Headley, and the successful Mumbai terror attacks, which almost caused a war?

Clearly this program is a great success.

Left

Quote from: Cain on June 09, 2013, 07:13:00 PM
You mean DEA informant David Headley, and the successful Mumbai terror attacks, which almost caused a war?

Clearly this program is a great success.
last link goes to golf tourney news...While I find the idea of golf causing political unrest interesting, I think you mislinked.

Edit: sorry, hit to change on this post my mistake.  It is past midnight.

Cain

Fixed.  Sorry, it is past midnight.  Which also explains why I accidentally edited your post too, though I think I restored it.

LMNO

Quote from Mrs LMNO:

The fear of a  surveillance state is like the fear of death. Both are inevitable, and you're powerless to prevent either. 

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Left

Cain

This just got interesting:

QuoteA former CIA technical worker has been identified by the UK's Guardian newspaper as the source of leaks about US surveillance programmes.

Edward Snowden, 29, is described by the paper as an ex-CIA technical assistant, currently employed by defence contractor Booz Allen Hamilton.

The Guardian said his identity was being revealed at his own request.

The recent revelations are that US agencies gathered millions of phone records and monitored internet data.

A spokesman for the Office of the Director of National Intelligence said the matter had now been referred to the Department of Justice as a criminal matter.

The Guardian quotes Mr Snowden as saying he flew to Hong Kong on 20 May, where he holed himself up in a hotel.

He told the paper: "I don't want to live in a society that does these sort of things... I do not want to live in a world where everything I do and say is recorded."

They're going to extraordinarily rendition this kid and happy slap him around every CIA "black-site" on the planet before bringing him back to the US for a show trial.

Don Coyote

Quote from: Cain on June 10, 2013, 04:46:22 AM
This just got interesting:

QuoteA former CIA technical worker has been identified by the UK's Guardian newspaper as the source of leaks about US surveillance programmes.

Edward Snowden, 29, is described by the paper as an ex-CIA technical assistant, currently employed by defence contractor Booz Allen Hamilton.

The Guardian said his identity was being revealed at his own request.

The recent revelations are that US agencies gathered millions of phone records and monitored internet data.

A spokesman for the Office of the Director of National Intelligence said the matter had now been referred to the Department of Justice as a criminal matter.

The Guardian quotes Mr Snowden as saying he flew to Hong Kong on 20 May, where he holed himself up in a hotel.

He told the paper: "I don't want to live in a society that does these sort of things... I do not want to live in a world where everything I do and say is recorded."

They're going to extraordinarily rendition this kid and happy slap him around every CIA "black-site" on the planet before bringing him back to the US for a show trial.

I've been chewing on this all day. On the one hand I applaud the man for doing this, but on the other hand, it was a really really bad idea.

Cain

Sometimes, you gotta take one for the team, even if you know it's going to end badly.  And he certainly has no illusions about that, it seems.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Left

Quote from: Cain on June 10, 2013, 04:46:22 AM

:sad:
Because that IS the kind of world we live in.
A very fucked-up one.