News:

PD.com: The culmination of the 'Ted Stevens Plan'

Main Menu

HIV eats Cancer?

Started by Ben Shapiro, February 17, 2014, 06:21:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ben Shapiro

Look, when you realize how fake it all is; the football, the basketball, the Lady Gaga, the Justin Bieber—you know, who gives you these carbon tax messages... They tell your kids they gotta love Justin Biebler, and then Biebler says "hand in your guns", "pass the Cyber Security Act", and "the police state is good", and then your children are turned into a mindless vassals—who now, they look up to some twit, instead of looking up to Thomas Jefferson, or looking up to Nikola Tesla, or looking up to Magellan; I mean, kids, Magellan is a lot COOLER than Justin Bieber! He circumnavigated with one ship the entire planet! He was killed by wild natives before they got back to Portugal! And when they got back there was only like eleven people alive of the two hundred and something crew and the entire ship was rotting down to the waterline! That's destiny! That's will! That's striving! That's being a trailblazer and explore! Going into space! Mathematics! Quantum mechanics! The secrets of the universe! It's all there! Life is fiery with its beauty! Its incredible detail! Tuning into it! They wanna shutter your mind, TALKING ABOUT JUSTIN BIEBER!!! IT'S PURE EVIL!!! They're taking your intellect, your soul, and giving you Michael Jordan and Bieber. Unlock your human potential! Defeat the globalists who wanna shutter your mind!—Your doorways to perception!—I wanna see you truly live! I wanna see you truly be who you are!!!

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Cain

I remember hearing - ages ago - about how scientists were considering using engineered viruses to fight cancer.  It was still at a very theoretical stage back then.  It's good to see progress is being made, tentative as it is.

Junkenstein

Vaguely related in that it's also about cancer:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-26189827
QuoteCancer "monorails" can be used to kill tumours by luring them into toxic pits or areas of the body that are safer to operate on, say US researchers.

A team at the Georgia Institute of Technology designed nanofibres thinner than a human hair which cancers "choose" to travel down.

Animal studies showed brain tumours could be shrunk by tricking cancer cells into migrating down the fibres.

Cancer Research UK said it was a fascinating idea, but early days.

The team were working with difficult-to-treat brain cancers - glioblastomas, which have a tendency to spread inside the brain.

The cancerous cells travel down nerves and blood vessels as they invade the brain.

The nanofibre technology, reported in Nature Materials, mimics the channels cancerous cells use to move.

Good to know that even if one avenue fails or is less than optimal it's realistic that you will see a better cure for cancer within your lifetime.
Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

popeurmom

Quote from: Cain on February 17, 2014, 09:41:04 AM
I remember hearing - ages ago - about how scientists were considering using engineered viruses to fight cancer.  It was still at a very theoretical stage back then.  It's good to see progress is being made, tentative as it is.

This is being done today. Viruses are currently being used in genetic engineering as well.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: popeurmom on March 04, 2014, 02:17:02 PM

This is being done today. Viruses are currently being used in genetic engineering as well.

:um:

popeurmom

Quote from: Nigel on March 04, 2014, 03:53:15 PM

:um:

http://ghr.nlm.nih.gov/handbook/therapy/procedures
http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/263385.php
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vectors_in_gene_therapy#Viruses
http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/experts-gene-therapy/

"Gene therapy is the addition of new genes to a patient's cells to replace missing or malfunctioning genes. Researchers typically do this using a virus to carry the genetic cargo into cells, because that's what viruses evolved to do with their own genetic material.

The treatment, which was first tested in humans in 1990, can be performed inside or outside of the body. When it's done inside the body, doctors may inject the virus carrying the gene in question directly into the part of the body that has defective cells. This is useful when only certain populations of cells need to be "fixed." For example, researchers are using it to try to treat Parkinson's disease, because only part of the brain must be targeted. This approach is also being used to treat eye diseases and hemophilia, an inherited disease that leads to a high risk for excess bleeding, even from minor cuts."

The links I posted provide a very simplified version of the methods currently in use. I hope they are simple enough for you to comprehend.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: popeurmom on March 04, 2014, 04:17:31 PM
I hope they are simple enough for you to comprehend.

You're not really here to talk to people, right?
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

popeurmom

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 04, 2014, 04:23:28 PM
Quote from: popeurmom on March 04, 2014, 04:17:31 PM
I hope they are simple enough for you to comprehend.

You're not really here to talk to people, right?

Oh I was, but received such a shitstorm over such stupid shit that I've realized that there isn't gonna be much discussion here... you either agree or get shot down by everyone else. :)

Eg. I state a simple scientific truth of the day and receive a gif waving away my post, which I can only assume is because I said something to bother this person on another post. Yay!

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

What do you think those bolded words mean, Sparky? Or do you just like repeating what other people have said as if it's new news?

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Good job not actually reading any of the previously posted articles, though.  :lulz: Nice troll.

popeurmom

Quote from: Nigel on March 04, 2014, 05:14:54 PM

What do you think those bolded words mean, Sparky? Or do you just like repeating what other people have said as if it's new news?

Please don't tell me you need me to be so specific as to highlight the fact that the viruses being used in treatment are modified and not in their natural form.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: popeurmom on March 04, 2014, 04:42:33 PM
you either agree or get shot down by everyone else. :)

This is all the proof I need that you haven't actually READ anything anyone here has actually said.

Ergo, you have nothing to say.  At least nothing that anyone will bother listening to.  You're a failure at basic communication skills...So it doesn't actually matter how smart or educated you are.  The world is full of failed "geniuses".

" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: popeurmom on March 04, 2014, 05:31:23 PM
Quote from: Nigel on March 04, 2014, 05:14:54 PM

Please don't tell me you need me to be so specific as to highlight the fact that the viruses being used in treatment are modified and not in their natural form.

Once again, what do you think "engineered"  means? Someone else said it before you (not to mention the articles posted about it). Derp de derp.