News:

MysticWicks endorsement: "In other words, Discordianism, like postmodernism, means never having to say your sorry."

Main Menu

Unlimited MENA Revolt Thread

Started by Cain, February 21, 2011, 07:42:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Cain on September 14, 2012, 05:45:27 PM
Quote from: Fidel Castro on September 14, 2012, 05:40:29 PM
I just heard a whiff of this listening to CNN's running fear-fest.  Something about violence at the border.  90% chance it's bullshit, just like their confusion between "Muslim Brotherhood" and "Muslim".

Well, the KFC in Tripoli got sacked, I know that much.  Oh, and a Krispy Kreme, though they probably deserved it, for having a stupid name.  And then soldiers shot the rioters.

Oh, and the Pope is there. Which is always helpful.

I believe the border gets shelled on a semi-regular basis by Loyalist forces. There is a lot of back and forth in weapons and people across the border.  Unfortunately, artillery fire does not respect international boundaries.

It's always good news when Emperor Palpatine shows up.

" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Cain

It's not like the Pope, who once famously referred to Islam as "evil and inhuman" will cause the situation to get any worse, right?

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Cain on September 14, 2012, 05:49:43 PM
It's not like the Pope, who once famously referred to Islam as "evil and inhuman" will cause the situation to get any worse, right?

What can go wrong?

Way I see it, the pope gets bagged, then grab your ass and cancel Christmas.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Faust

Jesus, I was in a finance thing today and missed most of this. fucking hell.

Also

All this is going to take is one idiot

Sleepless nights at the chateau

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Faust on September 14, 2012, 05:52:08 PM
Jesus, I was in a finance thing today and missed most of this. fucking hell.

Also

All this is going to take is one idiot

:lulz:

The Good Reverend Roger

Now our embassy in Tunis has been trashed.

Correct me if I'm wrong, Cain...Embassadors are supposed to be sacrosanct in Islamic tradition, aren't they?

Cain

Quote from: Fidel Castro on September 14, 2012, 06:03:11 PM
Now our embassy in Tunis has been trashed.

Correct me if I'm wrong, Cain...Embassadors are supposed to be sacrosanct in Islamic tradition, aren't they?

I'm not entirely sure, but I know where to check to find out.  I do know that Ottoman diplomatic practices differed significantly from European ones, but the Ottomans were weird anyway.  Steppe peoples always have funny traditions.

Or...at least, I thought I knew where to look.  I have a particular book in mind, which details the entire history of diplomatic relations and international law.  Only, I can't remember what it is called, only that it had an odd name.  Given the several thousand files in that particular folder, this could take some time.

Cain

OK, I gave in and used Google Scholar.

As it happens, someone who is an emissary from a foreign power is free to enter Islamic lands, and upon doing so will be appointed a guide to show him to the capital city. 

There is no strict law of diplomatic immunity, however.  While it was normally observed, if the emissary failed in their mission (in ancient Islamic lands, there were no permament ambassadors, they were sent on a treaty by treaty basis), under certain conditions they could be executed.

My source doesn't go into detail about what those conditions are, but it would be very easy to believe, especially after watching that idiotic video, that the US is "at war" with Islam.  And indeed, in several countries there is a literal state of war between Islamist groups and the USA.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Cain on September 14, 2012, 06:54:44 PM
OK, I gave in and used Google Scholar.

As it happens, someone who is an emissary from a foreign power is free to enter Islamic lands, and upon doing so will be appointed a guide to show him to the capital city. 

There is no strict law of diplomatic immunity, however.  While it was normally observed, if the emissary failed in their mission (in ancient Islamic lands, there were no permament ambassadors, they were sent on a treaty by treaty basis), under certain conditions they could be executed.

My source doesn't go into detail about what those conditions are, but it would be very easy to believe, especially after watching that idiotic video, that the US is "at war" with Islam.  And indeed, in several countries there is a literal state of war between Islamist groups and the USA.

Oh, well, then...At least there's precedent.  Mustn't grumble.

Cain

I'm pretty sure all those nations also signed the 1961 Vienna Convention, however, which said storming embassies and killing diplomats was Not Cool.

I'm also 99% sure the mobs on the street are not versed in the history of Islamic diplomatic protocol, and are probably pissed about drone attacks or the banking system or their shitty boss, or Jersey Shore existing or something.

Cain

Oh ho HO!

Nakoula Basseley Nakoula, aka "Sam Bacila" allegedly had a prohibition against using computers or the internet without permission from his parole officer for five years, due to his conviction for bank fraud charges.

Since he was convicted in 2010, these prohibitions would still be in force

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Cain on September 14, 2012, 07:03:28 PM
I'm pretty sure all those nations also signed the 1961 Vienna Convention, however, which said storming embassies and killing diplomats was Not Cool.

I'm also 99% sure the mobs on the street are not versed in the history of Islamic diplomatic protocol, and are probably pissed about drone attacks or the banking system or their shitty boss, or Jersey Shore existing or something.

Ah.  They hate our freedoms.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Cain on September 14, 2012, 07:08:04 PM
Oh ho HO!

Nakoula Basseley Nakoula, aka "Sam Bacila" allegedly had a prohibition against using computers or the internet without permission from his parole officer for five years, due to his conviction for bank fraud charges.

Since he was convicted in 2010, these prohibitions would still be in force

HAW HAW!

Quoting verbatim for the conspiracy board on FB.

Cain

The Independent has some meat on what went down in Benghazi

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/politics/revealed-inside-story-of-us-envoys-assassination-8135797.html

QuoteThe killings of the US ambassador to Libya and three of his staff were likely to have been the result of a serious and continuing security breach, The Independent can reveal.

American officials believe the attack was planned, but Chris Stevens had been back in the country only a short while and the details of his visit to Benghazi, where he and his staff died, were meant to be confidential.

The US administration is now facing a crisis in Libya. Sensitive documents have gone missing from the consulate in Benghazi and the supposedly secret location of the "safe house" in the city, where the staff had retreated, came under sustained mortar attack. Other such refuges across the country are no longer deemed "safe".

Some of the missing papers from the consulate are said to list names of Libyans who are working with Americans, putting them potentially at risk from extremist groups, while some of the other documents are said to relate to oil contracts.

According to senior diplomatic sources, the US State Department had credible information 48 hours before mobs charged the consulate in Benghazi, and the embassy in Cairo, that American missions may be targeted, but no warnings were given for diplomats to go on high alert and "lockdown", under which movement is severely restricted.

So it looks like the Americans were betrayed by an inside source. I would not want to be that source when the CIA catches up with them.

The theft of documents is interesting, too.  Libyans working with the American government and oil contracts.  Very specific.  Very useful and, in the latter case, potentially very lucrative.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Cain on September 14, 2012, 07:51:49 PM
The Independent has some meat on what went down in Benghazi

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/politics/revealed-inside-story-of-us-envoys-assassination-8135797.html

QuoteThe killings of the US ambassador to Libya and three of his staff were likely to have been the result of a serious and continuing security breach, The Independent can reveal.

American officials believe the attack was planned, but Chris Stevens had been back in the country only a short while and the details of his visit to Benghazi, where he and his staff died, were meant to be confidential.

The US administration is now facing a crisis in Libya. Sensitive documents have gone missing from the consulate in Benghazi and the supposedly secret location of the "safe house" in the city, where the staff had retreated, came under sustained mortar attack. Other such refuges across the country are no longer deemed "safe".

Some of the missing papers from the consulate are said to list names of Libyans who are working with Americans, putting them potentially at risk from extremist groups, while some of the other documents are said to relate to oil contracts.

According to senior diplomatic sources, the US State Department had credible information 48 hours before mobs charged the consulate in Benghazi, and the embassy in Cairo, that American missions may be targeted, but no warnings were given for diplomats to go on high alert and "lockdown", under which movement is severely restricted.

So it looks like the Americans were betrayed by an inside source. I would not want to be that source when the CIA catches up with them.

The theft of documents is interesting, too.  Libyans working with the American government and oil contracts.  Very specific.  Very useful and, in the latter case, potentially very lucrative.

Yep.  But I don't see the CIA catching up with them.