News:

PD.com: We're not actually discordians

Main Menu

The World We Wanted

Started by Nephew Twiddleton, July 17, 2013, 05:01:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

:eek: Oh sweet jesus, Twid. I feel like you just nailed something there. Like, the entire basis of our current consumer culture, exemplified.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

You may have other plans for this story, but I have to ask anyway... submit to Bitter Tea, maybe?
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Nephew Twiddleton

Oxford English Dictionary:

Ascensionist Movement: The Ascentionists are a contemporary group of anthropocentric theists who believe that humanity's place in the Universe is as stewards to lesser sentient life forms, and that humanity is the zenith of God's Creation. The Ascensionists see themselves as a civilising force, bringing order into chaos, simultaneously bringing culture and knowledge to other species and instructing them in their roles in God's ultimate plan as subordinates to humanity.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: M. Nigel Salt on July 25, 2013, 07:05:03 AM
You may have other plans for this story, but I have to ask anyway... submit to Bitter Tea, maybe?

Possibly. Let me sit on it.

My main goal here is to sum up American culture from various angles, through the comforting distance of some other planet.

Nephew Twiddleton

My reluctance is that if I end up writing a lot for this, I would not want it to overwhelm any other projects, especially where it seems the more I write, the more I think of.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

That is a powerful narrative. That particular one, the Billy narrative, conveys incredibly well the attitude of corporate management toward the relatively disposable workers, and the cannibalistic overtones emphasize that. But it's part of a story, and I wouldn't ask you to sacrifice part of your story to the Bitter Tea project if you feel it is better conserved for publication en total.

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: M. Nigel Salt on July 25, 2013, 07:30:57 AM
That is a powerful narrative. That particular one, the Billy narrative, conveys incredibly well the attitude of corporate management toward the relatively disposable workers, and the cannibalistic overtones emphasize that. But it's part of a story, and I wouldn't ask you to sacrifice part of your story to the Bitter Tea project if you feel it is better conserved for publication en total.

If you like to use Billy's story as an excerpt feel free, if you think it can stand alone (and I definitely wanted the implication to be that Billy's arm was a what's for dinner sort of thing).

Nephew Twiddleton

I also wanted to get across the whole, "we care that you have a job, can you still do shit for us?" fake concern.

Nephew Twiddleton

I'm also trying to compose an Ascensionist sermon in my head but it's not quite there yet.

Q. G. Pennyworth

McGrupp

Quote from: FRIDAY TIME on July 25, 2013, 07:07:24 AM
My main goal here is to sum up American culture from various angles, through the comforting distance of some other planet.

I think that's a big strength of science fiction and fantasy. You can examine controversial issues in a neutral setting, often allowing people to think about things they would dismiss otherwise.

I'm enjoying reading this.

Nephew Twiddleton

Might work on another one tonight or tomorrow. If I can't get the Ascensionists off the ground yet, I'll switch Angles again.

Nephew Twiddleton

Different angle brewing. Should be ready tomorrow night. Its going to be a jump further into the future and then im going to jump back for the next angle whatever it may be. If the out of chronological order is a bit jarring i apologize but i think calling them angles instead of chapters has given me that freedom from a linear narrative to help develop the earlier bits.

Nephew Twiddleton

Bump because I want to get back to this.

Nephew Twiddleton

Angle 6:

Earth and Titan had been fighting proxy wars for decades. Mars, Luna, and Artificial Venusian Lunulum were obviously allied, due to cultural similarity. The United Terrae, as those four called their confederacy, had managed to enforce political influence and military might over the asteroid belt. The Union of Soviet Syndicalist Demiworlds, largely made of the moons orbiting Jupiter, Saturn and Neptune had run into a bit of a stalemate with the UT. The Uranian system was isolationist, neutral, and wanted none of these shenanigans. The USSD had a stronger influence on the Kuiper Belt, in theory, but the UT worlds spun fast around Sol, and could launch ships into deeper orbits quicker.

For a long while, the UT and the USSD merely exchanged ugly words over radio. That all changed one day.

The UT base on Quaoar managed to directly image an exoplanet, in exquisite detail. It was orbiting a K class star. And it had the smoking gun of atmospheric oxygen, in levels similar, but slightly less than Earth. This meant only one thing. Photosynthesis was occurring on this world, and that oxygen breathing life was balancing out the otherwise toxic gas by exhaling carbon dioxide. Moreover, the majority of the atmosphere was nitrogen, an otherwise unbreathable gas, but nevertheless, comprising almost 80% of Earth's atmosphere. Humans could easily go outside with nothing more than a light jacket.

The USSD had been getting pretty close to breaking the light barrier. The UT stopped caring about exploration unless it was profitable. But now, the UT had a business opportunity, and the USSD had the means in progress. And lets face it, the USSD didn't have the raw resources that the UT had.

Ottawa sent out a signal to Galileo City on Titan, with the simple message, "we have much to discuss."