News:

Feel my amazing brain. Go on, touch it!

Main Menu

An actual relevant article on the relative dangers of drugs.

Started by Kai, July 01, 2012, 01:04:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AFK

Anyway, to maybe get,this back on topic.  I do appreciate how this study factored in impacts to the community and didn't just focus on immediate impacts to the individual user.  I'd be curious to read the article to see how they derived their numbers and where their data came from. 

I'm not surprised that alcohol came out on top.  Alcohol is actually a pretty nasty substance when you add up all of the costs.
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Freeky

Yeah, fuck this thread. Fuck all of these threads.  See you guys in a few weeks, I'm not even going to bother coming here for a while.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Cain on July 02, 2012, 12:50:24 AM
And now yet another thread is now about RWHN getting all the negative attention he can.  See?  Like fucking clockwork.

And no doubt he'll find someone stupid enough to give in to temptation and go along with that plan for a good 20-30 pages.  It's all so predictable.  I almost wish someone would declare this a sociological experiment - I could at least readily believe this was pre-planned and built for idiocy.

Not me, though.  You'll have to invite someone else to help you get into your "pity poor me" moods.  I'm leaving this stupid thread before it grows any worse.

Yeah, when he said that he wasn't going to comment I had the momentary hope that he would show some integrity, and that maybe we stood a half chance of discussing the actually interesting aspects of the study for a minute or two. Oh well.

Twid, if you could do that it would be super-awesome... would you be cool with emailing me the text of the article if you get hold of it? If I get it first I'll email it to you and Kai.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

tyrannosaurus vex

ANYWAY, BACK TO THE O.P.

Everybody knows alcohol is the worst drug out there. It's nice to see this quantified by real work though, and expressed in an easy to understand diagram. I'm surprised marijuana is as high on the list as it is, but I suspect much of the "damage" caused by pot is in areas that simply wouldn't be a problem (or as much of a problem) if it was legalized.
Evil and Unfeeling Arse-Flenser From The City of the Damned.

Prince Glittersnatch III

Quote from: PROFOUNDLY RETARDED CHARLIE MANSON on July 02, 2012, 04:07:49 AM
And now yet another thread is now about RWHN getting all the negative attention he can.  See?  Like fucking clockwork.

And no doubt he'll find someone stupid enough to give in to temptation and go along with that plan for a good 20-30 pages.  It's all so predictable.  I almost wish someone would declare this a sociological experiment - I could at least readily believe this was pre-planned and built for idiocy.

Not me, though.  You'll have to invite someone else to help you get into your "pity poor me" moods.  I'm leaving this stupid thread before it grows any worse.

Yeah, when he said that he wasn't going to comment I had the momentary hope that he would show some integrity, and that maybe we stood a half chance of discussing the actually interesting aspects of the study for a minute or two. Oh well.

You know, I was fixing up another original story, a Gilligan's Island fic for the other thread. But then the thread died, and I stopped working on it because SURELY EVERYONE INVOLVED HAD LEARNED THEIR LESSON AND FINALLY GOTTEN SICK OF THIS SHIT. Oh, how very wrong I was.
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?=743264506 <---worst human being to ever live.

http://www.jesus-is-savior.com/False%20Religions/Other%20Pagan%20Mumbo-Jumbo/discordianism.htm <----Learn the truth behind Discordianism

Quote from: Aleister Growly on September 04, 2010, 04:08:37 AM
Glittersnatch would be a rather unfortunate condition, if a halfway decent troll name.

Quote from: GIGGLES on June 16, 2011, 10:24:05 PM
AORTAL SEX MADES MY DICK HARD AS FUCK!

East Coast Hustle

Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: PROFOUNDLY RETARDED CHARLIE MANSON on July 02, 2012, 04:07:49 AM

Twid, if you could do that it would be super-awesome... would you be cool with emailing me the text of the article if you get hold of it? If I get it first I'll email it to you and Kai.

No problemo. I'm going to take my time getting to work, but I'll hit up the library before I clock in.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Nephew Twiddleton

Yeah, I'm not going to bother taking part in discussion in this thread now. I will get the article and share it with anyone who's interested in reading it.

Kai

Quote from: v3x on July 02, 2012, 05:55:39 AM
ANYWAY, BACK TO THE O.P.

Everybody knows alcohol is the worst drug out there. It's nice to see this quantified by real work though, and expressed in an easy to understand diagram. I'm surprised marijuana is as high on the list as it is, but I suspect much of the "damage" caused by pot is in areas that simply wouldn't be a problem (or as much of a problem) if it was legalized.

I was a bit surprised to see Cannabis with drug related mortality, drug specific damage and drug related damage. If I had to GUESS why that is, I would suspect the first is due to traffic accidents, the second is due to inhalation of smoke, and the third is for similar reasons as to the first. Of all the drugs higher on the list, Cannabis and tobacco are the only two without drug specific mortality, and what I suspect they mean by that, is overdose. Cahnabis is also similarly rated with lower levels of dependence than Tobacco. This is not surprising from what we know already. Third, the two categories that Cannabis seems to rate higher than Tobacco are Loss of Relationships, Family Adversity, and Crime. I suspect the third is directly related to arrests over possession and selling.

Anyway, enough about that. What is so interesting to me is that not only do LSD and Mushrooms not have any mortality or damage associated with them, they rank zero on almost all other categories. The only category at which they rate at any measurable level is drug specific impairment of mental functioning, which seems to be comparable to those of Alcohol and the other higher rated drugs. The former is new information to me.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

LMNO

My experience with psychedelics leads me to conculde that they don't interfere with mental ability (as in, the ability to think), but they really mess up the ability to match up to consensus reality and/or rationality.

tyrannosaurus vex

I think the honest reason psychedelics rate so low in most categories is because it or harder to get them than almost anything else on the list. Also due to the nature of the trip, users are less likely to be out in public or operating heavy machinery. the culture associated with them encourages responsible use, for the most part. Use of psychedelics is lower overall so there is a smaller sample of events to detect.

The one thing this chart doesn't do well (because it isn't designed to) is measure the relative impact of each substance on a single life. That would be an interesting study to find.
Evil and Unfeeling Arse-Flenser From The City of the Damned.

Nephew Twiddleton

Nephew Twiddleton

Nephew Twiddleton