News:

If you can't abuse it, it's not power.

Main Menu

An actual relevant article on the relative dangers of drugs.

Started by Kai, July 01, 2012, 01:04:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kai

Which I post because I love you all so, and since you are so preoccupied with that other 100+ page thread, I might as well get another one going.  :lulz:

http://thomaskleppesto.tumblr.com/post/26149335063/the-relative-dangers-of-drugs-what-the-science-says

QuoteDavid Nutt and his colleagues have studied the relative harm of drugs. In one of Nutt's studies that were published in the lancet, members of the British Independent Scientific Committee on Drugs was asked to rate 20 drugs on 16 criteria such as drug-specific damage, mortality, dependence and international damage. Drugs were scored on a 100-point scale. Here is a display of the weighted scores:

QuoteIn the diagram above both individual and societal factors are considered. It may come to a surprise to many readers that LSD and ecstasy are one of the least dangerous drugs. Notice also that Alcohol is the highest rated dangerous drug and that tobacco is on seventh place just below Cocaine (Both alcohol and tobacco are not even considered a drug by many people, including, sadly, politicians). However, heroin, crack and metamfetamine tops the list for the most dangerous drugs when only individual factors are considered, alcohol then dropping down to a fourth place amongst the most dangerous drugs. So, even when the obvious societal effects due to the widespread use of alcohol are not considered (alcohol rates very high, unsurprisingly, on "family adversities" and "environmental damage") it still is the fourth most dangerous drug. Yes, that's right. Alcohol nearly receives the bronze-medal for danger to individuals.

The particular type of neurotransmitters that a drug affects in the brain has a huge impact on the harms the drug can contribute to. A major similarity between the drugs that tops the list above is that these drugs, in addition to other areas in the brain (click here for a discussion), directly affect the dopaminergic "reward system" in the midbrain. This area has been shaped and "designed" by millions of years of natural selection in mammals to reward for adaptive behavior such as sex and the intake of nutritious food. When they are artificially stimulated by drugs such as heroin and crack cocaine they have adverse consequences for addiction and health (that is the reason why drugs such as nicotine and heroin have the characteristic addictive effects). Drugs at the bottom of the list, such as MDMA (ecstasy), mushrooms and LSD stimulate mainly serotonergic neurons (several places in the brain), and does not directly stimulate the mesolimbic reward systems (which is why they are not addictive).

The many myths and popular beliefs surrounding psychoactive substances and their harms are perpetuated through the popular media. An empirical observation of this phenomenon was provided by Alasdair Forsyth in 2001. He compared the official statistics on drug deaths in Scotland to the drug-deaths reported in the Scottish newspapers.  His results are somewhat astounding: a huge proportion of deaths caused by recreational drugs were reported, whereas deaths caused by pharmaceutical drugs were vastly underreported. For example, 26 of 28 deaths were MDMA (ecstasy) was a possible contributor to death was reported, whereas just one in every 256 deaths caused by aspirin and one in 50 deaths caused by paracetamol were reported. This clearly gives a biased representation of the relative harm of drugs, particularly ecstasy, which, as is reported in the diagram above, is not at all that dangerous.

The rest is about cannabis and the "gateway drug" hypothesis, as well as pro-cannabis and pro-hallucinogen rhetoric, so use the link if you really want a rehash of that. The research above, on the other hand, is new to me and interesting, ESPECIALLY because it considers more than just mortality and damage.

Again, I love you all so very much. <3 And heres a link to journal article, if you have access [I don't :(]. http://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736%2810%2961462-6/fulltext#article_upsell
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

The Johnny

<<My image in some places, is of a monster of some kind who wants to pull a string and manipulate people. Nothing could be further from the truth. People are manipulated; I just want them to be manipulated more effectively.>>

-B.F. Skinner

Anna Mae Bollocks

Because hell is repetition.

Who the fuck gets high on butane?   :lulz:
Scantily-Clad Inspector of Gigantic and Unnecessary Cashews, Texas Division

AFK

Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

guryaf

Quote from: TEXAS FAIRIES FOR ALL YOU SPAGS on July 01, 2012, 02:40:50 AM

Mostly people who really want to get high but can't get real drugs, I think.

Anna Mae Bollocks

Quote from: guryaf on July 01, 2012, 03:09:41 AM
Quote from: TEXAS FAIRIES FOR ALL YOU SPAGS on July 01, 2012, 02:40:50 AM

Mostly people who really want to get high but can't get real drugs, I think.

Sounds about right.

BabylonHoruv

Butane and gas huffing were a big deal among Australian Aboriginals in the 90's,  dunno if they still are.  I only knew at that point because I was talking with my step brother more often and he lives in Australia.  He may have exaggerated it a bit though because he's kind of racist.
You're a special case, Babylon.  You are offensive even when you don't post.

Merely by being alive, you make everyone just a little more miserable

-Dok Howl

Prince Glittersnatch III

[Redacted Pony Scat Fic]

Be warned, I have recently come across and entire storehouse of Pony fics and I will be watching this thread very carefully.
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?=743264506 <---worst human being to ever live.

http://www.jesus-is-savior.com/False%20Religions/Other%20Pagan%20Mumbo-Jumbo/discordianism.htm <----Learn the truth behind Discordianism

Quote from: Aleister Growly on September 04, 2010, 04:08:37 AM
Glittersnatch would be a rather unfortunate condition, if a halfway decent troll name.

Quote from: GIGGLES on June 16, 2011, 10:24:05 PM
AORTAL SEX MADES MY DICK HARD AS FUCK!

Telarus

Telarus, KSC,
.__.  Keeper of the Contradictory Cephalopod, Zenarchist Swordsman,
(0o)  Tender to the Edible Zen Garden, Ratcheting Metallic Sex Doll of The End Times,
/||\   Episkopos of the Amorphous Dreams Cabal

Join the Doll Underground! Experience the Phantasmagorical Safari!

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Prince Glittersnatch III on July 01, 2012, 07:29:44 AM
No.

Pinkie joined the group, exhausted but smiling.

"You look like you played tag with the Crusaders, ain't that right?" Applejack asked.

"It was fun! Scootaloo is fucking fast. You should've seen her. Dashing around like Dashie here," she nudged Rainbow, "And speaking of fun things, let's play a guessing game! I'll guess your fetishes, OK?"

"Our what?" Rarity seemed shocked.

"Oh, I forgot something. Just a sec," Pinkie Pie said. She took a few steps away from her friends, and pushed a few levers and switches to change the narrative mode.

She's now looking right at you: "Hi there! You can just scroll down to The Juicy Part if you're in a hurry. That's it. Thxbye."

After returning the controls to their original position, she seamlessly took up the conversation again.

"You know, Rarity, the stuff you enjoy jilling off to. Rainbow, I bet you're irisaphilic."

Rainbow Dash shook her head. "Don't get me wrong, I love rainbows, but I don't get off on them."

"OK, autassassinophilia!"

"Somewhat, I guess, but you can do better."

"Hybristophilia!"

"Ew."

"Hey, don't judge! Apotemnophilia!"

"Oh, stop with the allusions. It's getting old," said Rainbow, rolling her eyes.

"Pyrophilia!"

"You got it," Rainbow admitted, her thoughts on a very special pegasus.

"OK, Fluttershy. Let's see: Zoophilia."

"Oh, that would be so cute, but no."

"Dendrophilia!"

"Yes."

She turned to Rarity. "You're always so anal about your looks. I bet you're into coprophilia!"

"Scat, yes," Rarity admitted coyly, "But there's more."

"Urolagnia?"

"Watersports, hit. Go on."

"Mysophilia and mucophilia?"

"Yum."

"Great, that's just what I've been hoping for. We share a lot of fetishes! Let's lower the curtain and change the setting to something more private, don't you think?"

"Can you do that?"

"It's easy as my precious eponymous pastry, look:"
The Juicy Part

Rarity found herself in Sugarcube Corner. It was dark outside, and she was alone. Then she heard a rustle in one of the cupboards. It opened, and Pinkie Pie climbed out. "Whoo, warm in here."

"And you're still all sweaty from that tag game," Rarity said.

"Totally. And I haven't washed in weeks. I must smell terribly, I imagine," Pinkie Pie said with a lusty smile.

"Yes, how negligent of you. Allow me to remedy this for you."

Rarity gently turned Pinkie on her back, then spread her right front leg. The smell was especially pungent in the legpit, and Rarity licked its sweaty fur until it was soaked with her saliva. She moved on the front-left legpit, relished the smell, and rubbed her face in it, while she felt her pussy grow moist. "You don't know how long I've been pining for this." For Pinkie, the tickling was just as titillating; she squeaked in delight.

When the salty taste faded, Rarity had an idea. She nuzzled Pinkie where the neck meets the chin, a place wetter than the lower part of the neck. Under her mane, however, the smell was stronger. Pinkie again squeaked with glee when Rarity licked the back of her neck across the pink fur. Then she slowly liked her way to the left ear and was richly rewarded. Over the weeks of not washing, a thick, wet bed of earwax had filled the lower parts. Rarity licked it clean as far down as her tongue could reach, relishing the bitter taste, then moved on the other ear. Moving back down, she found traces of a day-old cherry pie in the fur near Pinkie's mouth and kissed them away. The otherwise downright garrulous Pinkie Pie was so lost in her very visceral pleasures, but also in the degree of love and trust Rarity showed, that she could only now and then muster an encouraging moan or purr.

Rarity noted with dismay that her nose had gown accustomed to the lovely Pinkie reek, so that she could hardly smell it anymore. Her nose, however, made it up to her by secreting a little snot. Rarity carefully blew it out just far enough to make it trickle down her upper lip from both nostrils. Pinkie Pie saw it and pulled Rarity down to her to lick at it. Her tongue was able to pull a sweet, long booger from Rarity's left nostril, but the right was quickly exhausted. They kissed and swapped the snot until it was dissolved in their saliva. Both of their chins dripping with the warm snot-saliva mix, Pinkie found a long strand of hair in Rarity's mane and guided its ends up both her own nostrils. Before long she felt the sneeze build up. She held it a little longer and then let it explode right in Rarity's face, carrying with it a great amount of saliva. She smiled mischievously while Rarity licked her lips. Pinkie felt a rich mass of snot in her nose, but it was still too far up for her to blow it out. She tickled again, then sneezed again, this time keeping her mouth shut, so the sneeze would escape through her nose. Instantly both their faces were covered in Pinkie snot. They licked furiously and kissed again. They held the kiss, then, their lips and tongues still touching, they looked into each other's eyes. More snot and saliva dripped from their mouths, while for a few magical seconds they saw each other anew every moment.

Rarity moved down to Pinkie's crotch, catching another whiff of her sweaty reek before it was replaced by the sweet pungency of a pussy unwashed for weeks. The fur surrounding it was embroidered with white and yellow streaks of something phlegmy. Rarity wanted to lick it off, when, to her utter delight, she discovered that Pinkie had not only not washed for weeks, but had not wiped her ass either. A thick crust of shit of various hues of brown coated the fur around it. Two streaks even ran down her hind legs. Pinkie must have made it a habit to shit standing. Her tail was sprinkled with little dried drops as well, a sure sign she had had diarrhea at some point, perhaps over a week ago. Rarity bowed over Pinkie, who was still lying on her back, and tried licking at first, but her spittle was not enough to solve the hard crust. She pressed her face, still soaked, against Pinkie's ass to moisten it. Pinkie understood the problem and helped by pissing against Rarity's forehead, so the urine would trickle down her face and soak into the pinkish-brown fur.

After a few seconds, Rarity felt the pee escape around the sides of her head. She didn't want to see any of it spilled, and so slowly slid upwards, pressing first her chin between Pinkie's legs, and soon her neck, where the fur was still mostly dry. Then the pee was exhausted. Rarity's face was white no longer, and strains of week-old shit covered the front of her whole upper body. Her face and neck brown and yellow and dripping, she bowed down to Pinkie's ass again. Most of the crust was still hard, but Rarity's tongue could scoop up enough of it to fill her mouth with its taste. She imagined, for a trice, how repugnant it would be, were it anypony else's waste, and how she instead loved its taste as she loved Pinkie Pie.

Pinkie began to press, and the tip of the turd showed for a moment, but quickly retreated again, leaving only a small corona of fresh shit. Rarity quickly moistened the hole and licked it clean, while Pinkie pressed again. Now a little more escaped, only to be cut off when Pinkie relaxed. Rarity scooped it up and held it in her mouth, while she grabbed Pinkie around her hips. With a swift roll, they had exchanged places. Rarity, now lying on her back, moved Pinkie's ass toward her still all too pristine belly.

Pinkie wanted to partake of Rarity's juicy meal. While still sitting on Rarity's belly, she bowed down, and they kissed, swapping Pinkie's shit. It soon dissolved. Some of it trickled out of their mouths to land on Rarity's neck. Then, Pinkie pressed again, moving her behind slowly up and down Rarity's belly, coating it uniformly in her shit and pressing it deep into the fur.

Rarity held Pinkie in a gentle, one-legged hug, lovingly pulling her close, while she shit into her other hoof. Still hugging, she started to spread the turd all over Pinkie's back. Between Rarity's brown belly and Pinkie's soiled pussy, new shit pressed its way out. Pinkie scooped it up and soon they together rolled around on the floor in abandon, smearing each others coat and mane and tail. They hit against a refrigerator leaving a squishy mark, and found themselves hugging with their noses at each other's ass. Pinkie's was one flat mass of smeared shit, but Rarity's was dirty as well. They licked each other's asses and stuck their brown noses up each other's pussies, licking and caressing until they both came.

For minutes they just lay motionlessly, tightly pressed against each other. At some point, Pinkie murmured, "There's a shower here somewhere if you want to. I'm fine." They continued their loving embrace.

So hey, as amused as I am by your efforts in the other spagfest of a thread, maybe consider not shitting up threads JUST because they're hot-button topics, but rather, wait until they actually start turning into useless circular spagfests before you shit them up?

I like that Kai posted actual science, and am interested in the actual science, and this thread has not (yet) devolved into pointless shit-slinging and propaganda hyping, so it might yet have space for actual interesting discussion of science.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Sadly, I can't seem to login to read the article from home. :( I'll try to figure it out on Tuesday.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

AFK

I have some thoughts but am going to withhold them, for now.
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Prince Glittersnatch III

Quote from: PROFOUNDLY RETARDED CHARLIE MANSON on July 01, 2012, 04:48:19 PM

So hey, as amused as I am by your efforts in the other spagfest of a thread, maybe consider not shitting up threads JUST because they're hot-button topics, but rather, wait until they actually start turning into useless circular spagfests before you shit them up?

I like that Kai posted actual science, and am interested in the actual science, and this thread has not (yet) devolved into pointless shit-slinging and propaganda hyping, so it might yet have space for actual interesting discussion of science.

Point taken.
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?=743264506 <---worst human being to ever live.

http://www.jesus-is-savior.com/False%20Religions/Other%20Pagan%20Mumbo-Jumbo/discordianism.htm <----Learn the truth behind Discordianism

Quote from: Aleister Growly on September 04, 2010, 04:08:37 AM
Glittersnatch would be a rather unfortunate condition, if a halfway decent troll name.

Quote from: GIGGLES on June 16, 2011, 10:24:05 PM
AORTAL SEX MADES MY DICK HARD AS FUCK!

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Prince Glittersnatch III on July 01, 2012, 06:18:48 PM

Point taken.

:)

Anna Mae Bollocks

Quote from: PROFOUNDLY RETARDED CHARLIE MANSON on July 01, 2012, 06:23:55 PM
Quote from: Prince Glittersnatch III on July 01, 2012, 06:18:48 PM

Point taken.

:)

Yes, Kai doesn't have that coming.
Pre-emptive Pony strike was LOL but pre-emptive.  :lol: