News:

OK fuckers, let me out of here. I farted for you, what more do you want from me? Jesus fuck.

Main Menu

Comic Reviews and discussions

Started by Faust, January 09, 2012, 12:32:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Faust on May 15, 2012, 06:50:50 PM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on May 15, 2012, 02:04:02 PM
Quote from: Faust on May 09, 2012, 11:38:11 PM
Before watchmen is going to have a very double edged sword effect for DC. Obviously the sales are going to be good, at least on the Rorschach issues.

But more and more people are becoming aware of how Moore got fucked over by the company. It's dragging the ugly side of comics out into the cold light of day. And in a Nerd medium the ugly scale can go a lot farther then you would imagine.

Moore, on the other hand, is a fucking loon.  Just saying.
So are pretty much all the good comic writers.

Yeah, but Miller and Moore are in a league of their own.  Especially Miller.
Molon Lube

Faust

Quote from: Doktor Howl on May 15, 2012, 06:56:30 PM
Before watchmen is going to have a very double edged sword effect for DC. Obviously the sales are going to be good, at least on the Rorschach issues.

But more and more people are becoming aware of how Moore got fucked over by the company. It's dragging the ugly side of comics out into the cold light of day. And in a Nerd medium the ugly scale can go a lot farther then you would imagine.

To be fair they are like the polar opposites of comic crazy, ones an out an out fascist ad the others an ultra liberal anarchist.
Sleepless nights at the chateau

Cain

Someone totally needs to make them work together on a comic.

Prince Glittersnatch III

Moore is trying very hard right now to become the new Ditko. This is a doomed effort, as not even Moore can reach Ditko levels of GET OFF MY LAWN.
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?=743264506 <---worst human being to ever live.

http://www.jesus-is-savior.com/False%20Religions/Other%20Pagan%20Mumbo-Jumbo/discordianism.htm <----Learn the truth behind Discordianism

Quote from: Aleister Growly on September 04, 2010, 04:08:37 AM
Glittersnatch would be a rather unfortunate condition, if a halfway decent troll name.

Quote from: GIGGLES on June 16, 2011, 10:24:05 PM
AORTAL SEX MADES MY DICK HARD AS FUCK!

Faust

Quote from: Prince Glittersnatch III on May 16, 2012, 12:49:28 AM

Moore is trying very hard right now to become the new Ditko. This is a doomed effort, as not even Moore can reach Ditko levels of GET OFF MY LAWN.

Thats not fair, he's actually not the cranky ol bollox that all the popular comic news sources want to portray him as.

Cain

To be honest, if I had to put up with the kind of fanbase some comics attract, I'd be every bit as bad as Moore's reputation makes him out to be.

In addition to usual nerd persecution complex and know-it-all smug attitude, some fans are convinced their vision for the comic and its character are right that no-one else in the world can disagree with them or their interpretations....especially not the actual creators and writers. 

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Cain on May 16, 2012, 10:36:34 AM
To be honest, if I had to put up with the kind of fanbase some comics attract, I'd be every bit as bad as Moore's reputation makes him out to be.

Also, Warren Ellis.  He's a misanthrope who only likes to talk to people via email, but his contracts require him to be submerged in tens of thousands of geeks several times a year.

Ew.
Molon Lube

Luna

Quote from: Cain on May 16, 2012, 10:36:34 AM

In addition to usual nerd persecution complex and know-it-all smug attitude, some fans are convinced their vision for the comic and its character are right that no-one else in the world can disagree with them or their interpretations....especially not the actual creators and writers.

Hell, I was known to get cranky with customers when I just WORKED at a comic book store, when the nitwits decided to bitch at me because they didn't like a new artist/writer/plot twist/whatever else had their panties in a bunch.

Of course, my version of cranky was often, "sorry, I've gotta go run the register/pay these idiots/wash the cat."
Death-dealing hormone freak of deliciousness
Pagan-Stomping Valkyrie of the Interbutts™
Rampaging Slayer of Shit-Fountain Habitues

"My father says that almost the whole world is asleep. Everybody you know, everybody you see, everybody you talk to. He says that only a few people are awake, and they live in a state of constant, total amazement."

Quote from: The Payne on November 16, 2011, 07:08:55 PM
If Luna was a furry, she'd sex humans and scream "BEASTIALITY!" at the top of her lungs at inopportune times.

Quote from: Nigel on March 24, 2011, 01:54:48 AM
I like the Luna one. She is a good one.

"Stop talking to yourself.  You don't like you any better than anyone else who knows you."

E.O.T.

Quote from: Faust on May 15, 2012, 06:58:36 PM

To be fair they are like the polar opposites of comic crazy, ones an out an out fascist ad the others an ultra liberal anarchist.

IS MILLER

the fascist? i thought he was more of an anti-fascist fascist. I think the stuff both of those guys were doing in the 80's changed quite a lot about the medium and its perspective, but i can't read anything by either of those guys now. moore is convinced he's a magician and miller is so opinionated in his writing it's like if mel gibson was writing comics or something.
"a good fight justifies any cause"

Doktor Howl

Quote from: E.O.T. on May 16, 2012, 03:27:08 PM

IS MILLER

the fascist? i thought he was more of an anti-fascist fascist. I think the stuff both of those guys were doing in the 80's changed quite a lot about the medium and its perspective, but i can't read anything by either of those guys now. moore is convinced he's a magician and miller is so opinionated in his writing it's like if mel gibson was writing comics or something.

Check out Miller's post-911 interview on Youtube.
Molon Lube

Faust

Or Holy Terror, Christ what a title.

E.O.T.

Quote from: Doktor Howl on May 16, 2012, 04:59:31 PM

IS MILLER

GODS!!

i remember when i first saw that, what a total chode. it's amazing that a seemingly intelligent person can actually maintain a perspective like that .
"a good fight justifies any cause"

Faust

Once again I must make my monthly recommendation for Wonder Woman.
This one issue is a wedding and Eris plays a big part.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: E.O.T. on May 16, 2012, 09:47:34 PM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on May 16, 2012, 04:59:31 PM

IS MILLER

GODS!!

i remember when i first saw that, what a total chode. it's amazing that a seemingly intelligent person can actually maintain a perspective like that .

I like when he starts sobbing and shit...

"But what about...What about 911?"

:lulz:
Molon Lube

Faust

A series called Irredeemable ended last night, Its written by Mark Waid who has done great work with Kingdom Come and Daredevil, and for me personally this is his masterpiece.

There are a lot of Superman knock offs out there, some have more substance than others, some are just superman with a twist, Hyperion is just a gritty version and Apollo is just a gay superman, but this is a far more complex look at the character.

It's a "what if superman went bad?" story that actually has a complex and layered reasoning for his breakdown. Even his name Plutonian indicating alien has the double meaning of disconnected and remote.

You can read the first few pages here, which introduces Plutonian through his murder of the Batman character and his family.
http://www.boom-studios.com/irredeemable-1-cover-a.html