News:

PD.com - you don't even believe in nihilism anymore

Main Menu

HYPOTHETICAL: Which is the Least Offensive Explanation?

Started by Q. G. Pennyworth, November 11, 2014, 05:41:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hypothetical question: If scientists found preserved, advanced tools in Triassic rocks, which of the following explanations would offend your sensibilities the least?

Humans must have co-existed with dinosaurs.
3 (13%)
I'm not saying it's aliens, but... ALIENS.
2 (8.7%)
Time travelers.
3 (13%)
Dinosaurs made advanced tools.
15 (65.2%)

Total Members Voted: 23

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Doktor Howl on November 11, 2014, 03:27:29 PM
Quote from: Nepos twiddletonis on November 11, 2014, 03:06:34 PM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on November 11, 2014, 03:00:32 PM
Quote from: Nepos twiddletonis on November 11, 2014, 02:53:06 PM
Given that these are the only explanations left:

1: Overwhelming evidence of the course and timing of mammalian evolution as well as mass extinction makes this exceedingly unlikely.
2: More likely, but there's still the tricky questions of where are they now, why did they leave, and how did they get here.
3: This is explains the otherwise apparent lack of civilization, except, you know, time travel into the past, which given our current understanding of physics is less likely than interstellar travel.
4: Considering that there are several tool using species on this planet, some of which are the dinosaurs' descendants, and the only thing that sets us in the tool making department is metallurgy, I'd have to go with this option. Some species at that time was able to achieve a level of culture that achieved metalworking, but fell short of industrialization.

They could have had planet-spanning urbanization, and we would never know it.  Not a trace would remain after all this time.

Fair point. They would have had to have died out prior to exhausting carbon fuels though.

65 million years is plenty of time for petroleum deposits to form.

Yeah, but we still have deposits from the Carboniferous Era, which would have been available to civilized dinosaurs.

This is, of course assuming they didn't figure out some other way to power industrialization.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Roly Poly Oly-Garch

Answered 1, but should really have been 4. By humans I meant "some screw-driver using species." Which is, by no means, a reasonable definition of human.
Back to the fecal matter in the pool

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: NoLeDeMiel on November 11, 2014, 04:31:50 PM
Answered 1, but should really have been 4. By humans I meant "some screw-driver using species." Which is, by no means, a reasonable definition of human.

It is, nonetheless, the definition I am going to adopt and promote whenever possible.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Telarus

Think about how incredibly complex the simple screw driver is. It is a tool used to drive other tools into and out of surfaces. The other tools (screws) are two other tools (the inclined plane wrapped around the axle). You also have to be able to abstract it again, though time, and realize that giving each screw it's own handle is silly, so you need to be able to carry one handle around with you. You then have to conceptualize the materials and docking/locking mechanism used to make the handledriver/screw one unit while in action, but easily separable. This now allows you to develop multiple different screws that can all be driven using the same tool.

Man, hominids are smart fuckers (the screwdriver tool-set nearly rivals the rock-napping toolset in complexity). Wtf happened to our species.
Telarus, KSC,
.__.  Keeper of the Contradictory Cephalopod, Zenarchist Swordsman,
(0o)  Tender to the Edible Zen Garden, Ratcheting Metallic Sex Doll of The End Times,
/||\   Episkopos of the Amorphous Dreams Cabal

Join the Doll Underground! Experience the Phantasmagorical Safari!

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Telarus on November 12, 2014, 03:48:24 AM
Think about how incredibly complex the simple screw driver is. It is a tool used to drive other tools into and out of surfaces. The other tools (screws) are two other tools (the inclined plane wrapped around the axle). You also have to be able to abstract it again, though time, and realize that giving each screw it's own handle is silly, so you need to be able to carry one handle around with you. You then have to conceptualize the materials and docking/locking mechanism used to make the handledriver/screw one unit while in action, but easily separable. This now allows you to develop multiple different screws that can all be driven using the same tool.

Man, hominids are smart fuckers (the screwdriver tool-set nearly rivals the rock-napping toolset in complexity). Wtf happened to our species.

Death by success.
Molon Lube

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Recently our species invented the internet, mapped a number of genomes starting with our own, sent a space probe to Mars, and is in the process of landing another probe on a comet traveling at roughly 83,885 miles per hour. Not to mention making some pretty decent headway into observing electron behavior.

The screwdriver wasn't a bad start, but holy shit, yeah, let's hope our ability to plan ahead catches us with our mechanical ingenuity before we render ourselves extinct.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Sexy St. Nigel on November 12, 2014, 05:22:49 AM
Recently our species invented the internet, mapped a number of genomes starting with our own, sent a space probe to Mars, and is in the process of landing another probe on a comet traveling at roughly 83,885 miles per hour. Not to mention making some pretty decent headway into observing electron behavior.

The screwdriver wasn't a bad start, but holy shit, yeah, let's hope our ability to plan ahead catches us with our mechanical ingenuity before we render ourselves extinct.

We have been running downhill on ice for 2 million years.

Don't try to stop now.
Molon Lube

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Doktor Howl

Molon Lube

Telarus

Telarus, KSC,
.__.  Keeper of the Contradictory Cephalopod, Zenarchist Swordsman,
(0o)  Tender to the Edible Zen Garden, Ratcheting Metallic Sex Doll of The End Times,
/||\   Episkopos of the Amorphous Dreams Cabal

Join the Doll Underground! Experience the Phantasmagorical Safari!

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Doktor Howl on November 12, 2014, 03:25:36 PM
Quote from: Sexy St. Nigel on November 12, 2014, 03:22:02 PM
:?

Planning ahead only causes problems later.

I would argue that human capacity for thinking ahead is severely limited by linear cause-and-effect thinking, and that we rarely actually "plan ahead" beyond "If A then B". We have a spectacularly short time-horizon for forethought, which will likely result in us being extinct.

Dildo Argentino

Well being extinct is the fate of all species (though that's an inductive inference)... question is when? I think we're in the process of trying to get through a bottleneck.
Not too keen on rigor, myself - reminds me of mortis

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Dodo Argentino on November 13, 2014, 08:30:46 AM
Well being extinct is the fate of all species (though that's an inductive inference)... question is when? I think we're in the process of trying to get through a bottleneck.

We're not going through a bottleneck. We're forcing everything else through one. There's 7 billion of us. We're not going anywhere soon. Our buildings might, but not our species.

Nephew Twiddleton

We're also the most mobile species on the planet. The same can't be said for some critter artificially cut off from the other half of its population through development and habitat destruction.

Dildo Argentino

Quote from: Nepos twiddletonis on November 13, 2014, 11:11:03 AM
Quote from: Dodo Argentino on November 13, 2014, 08:30:46 AM

We're not going through a bottleneck. We're forcing everything else through one. There's 7 billion of us. We're not going anywhere soon. Our buildings might, but not our species.

Oh, I fully agree we are forcing all the others, poor things, through a bottleneck! As to humans, I didn't mean in terms of population, but in terms of viability. Meddling with viruses, meddling with nuclear energy, owning a massive arsenal of nuclear bombs and with a dominant form of sociocultural organisation that brutally mistreats the majority of individuals... I'm sure the history of hominids has had a few fortunate turns in the distant path, but I think a massive human extinction event (not necessarily wiping out the race as a whole, but most of us) has been more likely in the last 70-80 years (I would make nuclear fission the dividing line) than for at least ten thousand years beforehands.
Not too keen on rigor, myself - reminds me of mortis